Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  96 97 98 99 [100]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/9/2019 5:52:20 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Das Boot

Sky have re-made this classic. Watched the first episode and..... so far so very, very good!

Good cast, good feel to the production- the Germans talk German - and the story is not a simple re-hash of the original. There is a French resistance 'thing' seemingly going on too.

Really looking forward to the rest of this - and a second series is apparently in the offing

warspite1

Well I got through all 8 episodes of the first series. A bit of a mixed bag really.

Firstly, this is nothing like the original version - which is good because it would be incredibly difficult to match that, let alone top it.

So probably the best way to approach it is to ignore the title and just look at it as a WWII yarn set in occupied France. I think there was probably a 50/50 split, give or take, between the u-boat action and the action on terra firma.

The u-boat sequences were done well enough, although the actual storyline probably won't please the purists. Annoyingly the storyline takes the route so many (especially latter day) war films take and have too much in-fighting between the crew. I find this formulaic and often totally uninteresting.

The action on land is okay - although the storyline is a little simple and one or two scenes appear fanciful. I get the feeling that the story telling could have been made much more tense than was the case - I felt the suspense was missing and we are talking about the Gestapo here and a good old fashioned cat and mouse scenario so should not have been difficult to do.

But taken on its own, without any comparisons with the original, was this worth watching? Yes I think so, and certainly worth a second series.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/9/2019 5:54:54 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2971
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/14/2019 7:50:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

Cartoon parody of A New Hope. Commentators seem to think it is something else.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2972
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/16/2019 3:46:27 PM   
warspite1

Mmmm... just seen the first Disney teaser for Frozen 2 and it looks like Elsa has turned into Frozone....

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2973
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 2:33:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1-I'm not on the forum much these days. Too much political trolling. But I thought I'd pop in a bit to let you know that we saw Lego Movie 2 last night. If you and yours liked the first one, this one is very strongly recommended as well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2974
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 2:53:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Warspite1-I'm not on the forum much these days. Too much political trolling. But I thought I'd pop in a bit to let you know that we saw Lego Movie 2 last night. If you and yours liked the first one, this one is very strongly recommended as well.
warspite1

Thanks for the tip. Will probably watch it as we really liked the first one. We saw How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World today and this was pretty good - better than the second offering, although not quite on a par with the utterly charming original. A fine feel good movie.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/17/2019 2:54:39 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2975
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 4:30:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

This song's gonna get stuck inside your head.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2976
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 5:14:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

warspite1

Which song?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2977
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 6:02:34 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Cartoon parody of A New Hope. Commentators seem to think it is something else.

Looks kind of goofy and dumb.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2978
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2019 7:39:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

warspite1

Which song?

The "Catchy" one. You'll see.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2979
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2019 7:53:46 PM   
zakblood

quote:

Das Boot

Sky have re-made this classic. Watched the first episode and..... so far so very, very good!

Good cast, good feel to the production- the Germans talk German - and the story is not a simple re-hash of the original. There is a French resistance 'thing' seemingly going on too.

Really looking forward to the rest of this - and a second series is apparently in the offing

just finished the 1st series and it's quite good, the story anyway, the scenes and the acting, yes the sex scenes did nothing to add to it, other than spread it out somewhat, the ended was good, but it's not like the film story and that's a shame, but look forward to more all the same, thanks for recommending it

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2980
Page:   <<   < prev  96 97 98 99 [100]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  96 97 98 99 [100]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI