Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VS-8 Where are you??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> VS-8 Where are you?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 12:11:53 PM   
aoffen

Its Jan 1 1943 playing as Allies vs the dreaded JRCAR and Tony Luke in the lastest Beta patch

Anyway, in my op report I notice a message saying VS-8 disbanded. I check and sure enough VS-8 is gone and the aircraft and pilots are in the pools (I think).

So....I went back to the previous turn to check and sure enough there there was a toggle on the squadron size field saying either
a) No resize allowed; or
b) Disbanding in Jan 43
Looks like it had disbanding in Jan 43 selected so I have lost a well trained DB squadron. Its sister VB-8 expands to 36 planes but not until March 43 so I now have a CV short if its full air wing for 3 months in a situation where I need every bit of help I can get. These guys are like the Borg!!

Not quite sure I get why it happened. Is it a Beta oatch thing? Has anyone seen this before? Do I have to go thru all my squadrons now and check there sizing status?.

Regards
Andrew
Post #: 1
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 12:38:24 PM   
HansBolter

I believe it is part of the reorganization of the carrier squadrons.

The Scout dive bomber squadrons disband and the Bomber dive bomber squadrons resize along with the Fighter squadrons.

Hans

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 2
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 5:57:09 PM   
Miller

So does this mean the US CVs lose half of their DB complement for two months?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 6:07:35 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

So does this mean the US CVs lose half of their DB complement for two months?

Yes, you have two options: substitute the disappearing groups with Marine SDB units or disable the option to be disbanded on march 1st

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 4
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 6:41:25 PM   
USS America

Hmmm...seems they should be timed so the disband and expansion happen at the same time.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 7:42:48 PM   
dr.hal

Since when is the government's timing a thing to rely upon???

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 6
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/22/2011 7:43:20 PM   
Richard III

Really !!

or at least have the switch set as "no disband" as default at game start....if I didn`t find this this thread, my CV DB groups would be screwed as well.

Also are you not being debited PP`s each day they are not disbanded ?

Seems a little harsh on the Alied player either way....................

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Hmmm...seems they should be timed so the disband and expansion happen at the same time.

< Message edited by Richard III -- 11/22/2011 9:19:54 PM >

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 7
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/23/2011 7:58:06 AM   
aoffen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Really !!

or at least have the switch set as "no disband" as default at game start....if I didn`t find this this thread, my CV DB groups would be screwed as well.

Also are you not being debited PP`s each day they are not disbanded ?

Seems a little harsh on the Alied player either way....................

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Thats what pissed me off. I didn't notice the toggle and now have a CV a long way from home short of aircraft. REALLY annoying.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 8
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/23/2011 4:38:28 PM   
Richard III

I posted this over at the Tech forum, perhaps we can get some support for a ajustment in this at least for the CV Sqs.

" Michaelm, Could you look at this thread please:

If this is WAD , with a 60+ day delay before replacement, it severely impacts the ship board SBD Scout/Bomb/Fighter Sqs. at critcial times in PBEM games.

Can we not have the game engine do a simultaneous disband and replacement, at least for the CV combat air units ?

Thanks "

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 9
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/24/2011 1:43:39 AM   
wdolson

Looking at scen 1, VS-8 is scheduled to withdraw on March 1,1943.  I recall there was a data error or bug at one point that caused some VS squadrons to withdraw on Jan 1, 1943.  Are you playing the latest version of the scenario and the latest patch?

Can you check the files for the version of the scenario you're playing?  VS-8 should be group #1725.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 10
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/24/2011 7:31:48 AM   
aoffen

Bill,
Thanks. I am playing the latest version with all of Michaelm's beta patches installed. Scenario 1.
As far as I can see VS-8 had a withdrawal date of 1 March which coincided with VB-8's size increase. All good. However it also had a toggle in the re-size field that had it disband on Jan 1 '43. That is what caused it to evaporate.
Regards
Andrew

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/24/2011 10:32:09 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Its Jan 1 1943 playing as Allies vs the dreaded JRCAR and Tony Luke in the lastest Beta patch

Anyway, in my op report I notice a message saying VS-8 disbanded. I check and sure enough VS-8 is gone and the aircraft and pilots are in the pools (I think).

So....I went back to the previous turn to check and sure enough there there was a toggle on the squadron size field saying either
a) No resize allowed; or
b) Disbanding in Jan 43
Looks like it had disbanding in Jan 43 selected so I have lost a well trained DB squadron. Its sister VB-8 expands to 36 planes but not until March 43 so I now have a CV short if its full air wing for 3 months in a situation where I need every bit of help I can get. These guys are like the Borg!!

Not quite sure I get why it happened. Is it a Beta oatch thing? Has anyone seen this before? Do I have to go thru all my squadrons now and check there sizing status?.

Regards
Andrew

I assumed you are playing a Beta. If so just keep clicking on the resize options and after three you'll get a box that lets you resize. This only applies to ship based air units, can't do it on land.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 12
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/25/2011 9:23:38 AM   
michaelm

The VS squadrons do vanish. The VB increases in size to counter the VS being disbanded. Usually the VB increase and the VS disband happen on same day so that the planes from the VS can be absorbed by the VB.
This is part of the normal re-org of USN air groups in March 43, IIRC.

Michael

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 13
RE: VS-8 Where are you?? - 11/25/2011 11:18:39 PM   
spence

There's at least one other VS Squadron that disbands in Jan 1943 besides VS-8. The corresponding VB squadron doesn't increase in size until March 1943. But it seems that the VS Squadron doesn't vanish until one puts into port. The whole thing seems somewhat surrealistic but it also seems that a work-around would be to stay at sea until everybody is getting lackanookie pay.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> VS-8 Where are you?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI