Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

near perfection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> near perfection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
near perfection - 11/21/2011 11:57:15 PM   
Dale H

Ok, Ok, I know that I like the subject of the game (Case Blue) & I tend to be enthusiastic about games around their release & I have only completed my second time through the introductory scenario but I am thinking this has got to be as close to perfection as a game idea has come. I know I will find the flaws in execution (others have already suggested a bunch of improvements - please don't allow do-overs or retract movement though!!!). Nothing is perfect. I know the game is abstracted like crazy. But all the elements are there in a very approachable way. You can pick up & start to play from the get-go. I learned about overruns from the introductory scenario; I am too lazy to read the manual until I have to. I tried some variations on the theme in that scenario & have come a long way just by trying it out. How cool is it to be able to play just using the tooltips? And the tempo is almost like a real-time game. And on & on...

I also know that my enthusiasm tends to wane with time but right now I am very impressed.
Post #: 1
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:34:48 AM   
Adam Parker

Hi Dale, thanks for the post - I just visited after a long absence and saw this one. May buy soon.

How big is the rule book - is it PDF?

"Play using tool tips"! Sounds good - Battlefiled Academy spoiled me like that. Panzer Commander never grew on me as a result... there's time though

Cheers,
Adam.

(in reply to Dale H)
Post #: 2
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:49:30 AM   
LarryP

PDF is 45 pages and is excellent.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 3
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:53:18 AM   
Dale H

Rulebook is 45 PDF pages & very well done. The artwork associated with the game is outstanding & it shows in the manual. I hit the wall in Voronezh & am going to have to stop & RTFM.

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't have complete tooltip capability like a AGEOD title but there is a lot of info on the UI. Most of it is intuitive & well thought out.

I was very attracted to the game from the game website. It has not disappointed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Hi Dale, thanks for the post - I just visited after a long absence and saw this one. May buy soon.

How big is the rule book - is it PDF?

"Play using tool tips"! Sounds good - Battlefiled Academy spoiled me like that. Panzer Commander never grew on me as a result... there's time though

Cheers,
Adam.

< Message edited by Dale H -- 11/22/2011 12:56:08 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:53:41 AM   
Adam Parker

Thanks Larry - good price too

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 1:12:26 AM   
LarryP

Oh it's an excellent game. I can't say enough good about the interface and how smooth and informative it is. AI kicks butt too, more like a human than any other games I own.

Post #: 6
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 1:38:57 AM   
Adam Parker

LOL! Took seven minutes to buy, download and install. Just finished the tutorial. Have to pay attention now

Love the little details already, like the map-scale ruler in the lower left corner, the town name labels and the way the icons rotate in the direction to be moved. Thanks guys.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> near perfection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI