Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

near perfection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> near perfection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
near perfection - 11/21/2011 11:57:15 PM   
Dale H

Ok, Ok, I know that I like the subject of the game (Case Blue) & I tend to be enthusiastic about games around their release & I have only completed my second time through the introductory scenario but I am thinking this has got to be as close to perfection as a game idea has come. I know I will find the flaws in execution (others have already suggested a bunch of improvements - please don't allow do-overs or retract movement though!!!). Nothing is perfect. I know the game is abstracted like crazy. But all the elements are there in a very approachable way. You can pick up & start to play from the get-go. I learned about overruns from the introductory scenario; I am too lazy to read the manual until I have to. I tried some variations on the theme in that scenario & have come a long way just by trying it out. How cool is it to be able to play just using the tooltips? And the tempo is almost like a real-time game. And on & on...

I also know that my enthusiasm tends to wane with time but right now I am very impressed.
Post #: 1
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:34:48 AM   
Adam Parker

Hi Dale, thanks for the post - I just visited after a long absence and saw this one. May buy soon.

How big is the rule book - is it PDF?

"Play using tool tips"! Sounds good - Battlefiled Academy spoiled me like that. Panzer Commander never grew on me as a result... there's time though

Cheers,
Adam.

(in reply to Dale H)
Post #: 2
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:49:30 AM   
LarryP

PDF is 45 pages and is excellent.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 3
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:53:18 AM   
Dale H

Rulebook is 45 PDF pages & very well done. The artwork associated with the game is outstanding & it shows in the manual. I hit the wall in Voronezh & am going to have to stop & RTFM.

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't have complete tooltip capability like a AGEOD title but there is a lot of info on the UI. Most of it is intuitive & well thought out.

I was very attracted to the game from the game website. It has not disappointed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Hi Dale, thanks for the post - I just visited after a long absence and saw this one. May buy soon.

How big is the rule book - is it PDF?

"Play using tool tips"! Sounds good - Battlefiled Academy spoiled me like that. Panzer Commander never grew on me as a result... there's time though

Cheers,
Adam.

< Message edited by Dale H -- 11/22/2011 12:56:08 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 12:53:41 AM   
Adam Parker

Thanks Larry - good price too

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 1:12:26 AM   
LarryP

Oh it's an excellent game. I can't say enough good about the interface and how smooth and informative it is. AI kicks butt too, more like a human than any other games I own.

Post #: 6
RE: near perfection - 11/22/2011 1:38:57 AM   
Adam Parker

LOL! Took seven minutes to buy, download and install. Just finished the tutorial. Have to pay attention now

Love the little details already, like the map-scale ruler in the lower left corner, the town name labels and the way the icons rotate in the direction to be moved. Thanks guys.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> near perfection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI