Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FOG

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> FOG Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FOG - 11/20/2011 12:07:11 AM   
Treale

Is there FOG? From just playing around with the game, it seems as though all of the enemy units are visible. I did a quick scan of the manual and didn't see FOG mentioned?

Tony
Post #: 1
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 12:13:22 AM   
stormbringer3

No, in that sense it's like a boardgame.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 2
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 12:19:09 AM   
Grim.Reaper

Does this mean both the human and the CPU player always know the precise positon of each other's forces then?  Or does the human player only have that advantage?

I would be interesting to hear how something like this does not detract from the experience since you really have no surprise, unless surprise in this part of the war was not important.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 3
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 1:12:18 PM   
Barthheart

There is not FoW for either the player or the AI.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 4
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 1:21:20 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Interesting....is it because these are smaller scenarios where it is assumed each side recon'd each other to know general positions at the start of the scenario....just trying to rationalize:)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 5
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 3:28:21 PM   
JudgeDredd

It didn't even strike me that there was no FOW - and the only reason I can think it would not hit me is because the scenarios (in terms of map) are quite small...at least from the few I've played.

The game seems to be really more about using the right forces at the right time to break the enemy down - whilst maintaining your supply lines (which is a real bugger because the AI is active) - all the while replacing fresh units in the line as required.

I have played the opening mission of the Campaign several times now, and I've not captured the objectives in the time required - and to be honest I almost think they are ludicrous times - I've got nowhere near - but then that is because I'm not using the right units at the right time - and on top of that, I'm giving the AI a window through the back and they are disrupting my supply lines. Lack of supply suppresses units - so you need to be supplied or you are going to get hit.

The actual gameplay itself is fairly simplistic - but there's a nack to getting it right - and I aint managed it yet :-)

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 11/20/2011 4:49:52 PM >

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

Post #: 6
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 3:52:07 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Thanks JD....your impressions are always appreciated....much closer to pulling the trigger on this one....the UI and polish everyone has stated has me the most interested, even if the Eastern Front is not my favorite part of the war to play.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 4:52:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well - just remember it's "lite". That isn't a bad thing necessarily - but it is if you expect something deeper.

There's enough here to enjoy I think. I'm finding it rather difficult to get decent wins - I win - but prestige is not very forthcoming because I'm not winning well. Like I said, though - I'm no Patton. A more seasoned wargamer might be walking through this - so if people have got other opinions on how their campaigns or scenarios are playing out, then I'd like to hear their views too.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

Post #: 8
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 5:09:42 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Lite doesn't bother me as long as there is some strategy to it and fun to play.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: FOG - 11/20/2011 8:05:31 PM   
Javolenus

This is not really a traditional wargame, it's more of a strategy puzzle game, but I think that's OK. It's kind of like a casual boardgame, but that doesn't mean it's easy--every decision you make counts and you can't afford to make mistakes. I only won the first German campaign scenario on the third attempt. My impression is that there's enough going on in the game to keep you entertained, but like I say, it's not really an operational wargame or battle sim. I like it--I think it's got a classy design.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> FOG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI