Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mountain units.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> Mountain units. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mountain units. - 11/17/2011 6:43:41 PM   
stormbringer3

Do Mountain units have any advantages over other infantry units? I looked over the rules and the Unit Blog but I didn't find anything.
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Mountain units. - 11/17/2011 7:21:43 PM   
2xTom

Mountain units ended up being used mostly as light infantry in this campaign. We gave them one more movement point and made them slightly weaker in defense - i.e. "light" but other than that, they're the same as infantry.

Tomislav Uzelac
Unity of Command Lead Developer

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Mountain units. - 11/19/2011 6:00:04 PM   
stormbringer3

I hope that in the future you'll consider giving them something like a combat shift when fighting in mountain hexes, since they were specially trained units and some scenarios do have mountain hexes,

(in reply to 2xTom)
Post #: 3
RE: Mountain units. - 11/19/2011 8:17:58 PM   
2xTom

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3
consider giving them something like a combat shift when fighting in mountain hexes

You are correct.

We cut this corner out of expediency, and to make up for that I added an extra experience shift to both mountain units (the made-up "Gruppe Lanz" and the Romanian 2nd Mtn) in the only scenario where they're actually likely to fight in the mountains: "Baku".

I pulled a similar trick with Soviet ski units in "Don Offensives": instead of giving them ability to negate the snowy weather shift, I simply gave both of them one extra exp in that scenario.

So yeah, it's definitely a "there I fixed it" moment, but hopefully not a biggie

Tomislav Uzelac
Unity of Command Lead Developer

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 4
RE: Mountain units. - 11/19/2011 9:01:43 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks for the info. I played the Baku scenario but didn't pick up on the fact that they were given an extra experience shift. I still hope that as you make future changes to your great game you'll do permanent changes to units which had unique training or at least mention in a readme that they are given special abilities in certain scenarios.

(in reply to 2xTom)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> Mountain units. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI