Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Congratulations!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> Congratulations! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 5:21:40 PM   
stormbringer3

I want to congratulate the Unity of Command team for an excellent game. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase.
Here's my wishlist.
The ability to save at the beginning of a campaign scenario.
The game being able to carry forward division stats from one campaign scenario to the next. I find myself burning up infantry units because it doesn't make any difference in the next campaign scenario. In games like Steel Panthers and Panzer Corps, developing or keeping experienced units from being destroyed adds a more realistic dimension to the game. You don't deliberately burn up units to win the current scenario because it will make a difference in the next ones.
Thanks again for an excellent game!
Post #: 1
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 6:26:22 PM   
nenad

Thanks stormbringer. We're glad you're enjoying the game.

As for your wishes:

1) If you want to go back to one of the previous scenarios in the campaign, simply select that scenario on the campaign map and then click the Reload Campaign button. The campaign will roll back to the start of that scenario. The intended way to play the campaign is to replay the last scenario until you are satisfied with the score/prestige and then move on.

2) This was done to keep the balance of individual scenarios undisturbed. Tom will perhaps have some more to say on this. It was discussed during the beta. I'll link it as soon as we make the beta forums public.

Unity of Command
16x16

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 6:36:47 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks so much for the campaign reload tip. I didn't know that.

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 3
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 6:41:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

Very very on the fence with this.

Some features I hear it has I like and other features it doesn't have kind of put me off - and the graphics aren't really my bag - but I am reading every post with much curiosity...

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

Post #: 4
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 6:49:08 PM   
stormbringer3

JudgeDredd,
I got my 1st Avalon Hill boardgame over 50 years ago, so I'm very partial to Nato counters. However, at least for me, after about five minutes of playing the game the different counter type didn't matter.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 7:21:05 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

JudgeDredd,
I got my 1st Avalon Hill boardgame over 50 years ago, so I'm very partial to Nato counters. However, at least for me, after about five minutes of playing the game the different counter type didn't matter.

I got my start with Avalon Hill when they were being sold by 3M. I think that these counters (?) look like toys... Just my opinion.

Tony

Post #: 6
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 7:58:14 PM   
AZ Gung Ho

I started with D-Day and went from there. I don't mind the 3D, but I don't like them just being busts. I'd rather have full figures if they are going to go with figurines rather than symbols.

And like the good Judge, I'm on the fence too, but very interested and watching!!

< Message edited by AZ Gung Ho -- 11/17/2011 8:00:18 PM >

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.marshianchronicles.com
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 7
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 8:43:41 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Some features I hear it has I like and other features it doesn't have kind of put me off - and the graphics aren't really my bag - but I am reading every post with much curiosity...

Same here. I'm put off because I like for the troops I built up to slide into the next scenario. That not happening bums me out. I also like to have multiple saves whenever I like to. If I'm not playing multiplayer then why should it matter if I save a lot?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 9:00:50 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

Same here. I'm put off because I like for the troops I built up to slide into the next scenario. That not happening bums me out. I also like to have multiple saves whenever I like to. If I'm not playing multiplayer then why should it matter if I save a lot?

+1. Unless I'm missing something here, the ability to slide the troops from one scenario to the next (similar to Panzer Korps) greatly adds to the immersion.

Ideally for me, the game would carry forwards the division stats. This combined w/ the current supply system would nail it.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 10:30:22 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: nenad

2) This was done to keep the balance of individual scenarios undisturbed. Tom will perhaps have some more to say on this. It was discussed during the beta. I'll link it as soon as we make the beta forums public.

It wouldnt have been too difficult to estimate what the average amount of experience, and improvement,...that would be gained in a scenario and increase the difficulty of each subsequent scenario accordingly. You can either use more units,...or give the current ones experience.

Far too many people,...myself included, feel that a few scenarios linked up isnt really a campaign since the results of one scenario has no bearing on the next scenario. You might as well being playing a bunch of random scenarios.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 11/17/2011 10:31:56 PM >

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 10
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 10:32:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

That's one of the missing features that I was referring to. It's not really a campaign if the units are not carried over (losses, experience, morale) - it's just a set of linked scenarios really.

I think another "missing" feature is the user being able to adjust the step positions of units. As someone pointed out (Seamonkey I believe) in another thread if that was the case it would add a further layer to the tactical battles...as it is it may be forced by the game (no official answer from the devs on his post as yet) - which removes that tactical edge for the player - all done in the name of balancing I guess - which is important - on the other hand, so is immersion...particularly for me.

It's a shame though because overall there's alot of positive stuff in here.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 11
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:00:31 PM   
Treale

quote:

That's one of the missing features that I was referring to. It's not really a campaign if the units are not carried over (losses, experience, morale) - it's just a set of linked scenarios really.

I think another "missing" feature is the user being able to adjust the step positions of units. As someone pointed out (Seamonkey I believe) in another thread if that was the case it would add a further layer to the tactical battles...as it is it may be forced by the game (no official answer from the devs on his post as yet) - which removes that tactical edge for the player - all done in the name of balancing I guess - which is important - on the other hand, so is immersion...particularly for me.

It's a shame though because overall there's alot of positive stuff in here.

JD, I think that you ought to buy it first and let me know how it is

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:03:37 PM   
JudgeDredd

lol - I may still do yet...

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 13
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:06:00 PM   
Treale

If I can get past the silly figurines, I might too!!!

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:11:08 PM   
nenad

Scenarios affect subsequent scenarios via prestige and via unlocking/branching mechanism. Campaign is not just a trivial scenario sequence as the prestige can be accumulated and spent all throughout the campaign, always acquiring units that would have been historically available at that time/place. This campaign mechanic is chosen not only for the individual scenario balance but for historical accuracy too. Which in itself adds to the immersion side.

Unity of Command
16x16

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:16:26 PM   
nenad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale
If I can get past the silly figurines, I might too!!!

If I'm informed correctly, the nato counter mod is in the works as we speak

Unity of Command
16x16

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 16
RE: Congratulations! - 11/17/2011 11:18:28 PM   
Treale

Now that would be a positive move for me!!!

Tony

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 17
RE: Congratulations! - 11/18/2011 12:23:21 AM   
SeaMonkey

Obviously guys we have the possibility of a very new concept in our wargaming world with the initiation of this title. I'm very interested as you all are, but again we're looking at a slight dilemma, being that the game needs some refinement and also needs our support, monetarily. I'm sitting on the fence, not because of the money, but the time needed to devote to this development. I'm an avid SC fan, constantly playing and offering improvement to that scale and I've recently purchased Panzer Corps also, which almost completely negates any additional wargaming time.

So...what's it going to be here, these developers require a commitment? Do we want them to continue? There needs to be more depth, it seems to me, more player involvement in the mechanics and obviously an extension of the campaign mode is in order. Will they patch or issue a new edition? Lots of potential I see here...... I want to push the button, that green one that says "START", but I'm wary, everything works well until you take that leap....and then????

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> Congratulations! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI