Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map filter to show population sizes of systems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Map filter to show population sizes of systems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 12:36:07 PM   
Sithuk

Population is the most important factor in determining the strategic value of a worlds. The galactic overview (keyboard shortcut is "g" key) does not have a filter to show the population sizes of my and AI systems. I currently have to click system by system to find the high population worlds.

It would be useful to have a population filter option available in the main game screen in addition to the galactic overview window.

Please implement an overlay to easily view the population sizes of systems.

< Message edited by Sithuk -- 11/17/2011 1:27:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 1:02:46 PM   
Bingeling

In ROTS at least, the circle around the system on the normal map gives a hint on what systems are juicy. Not a very clear indicator, though.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 2
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 2:21:56 PM   
oxenshtrudel

In legends a systems border can be used to easily see the strategic value of a system as shown in product screenshot below:
Border screenshot

< Message edited by oxenshtrudel -- 11/17/2011 2:23:20 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 3:15:35 PM   
Data

Yap, rather indirect but certainly useful.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to oxenshtrudel)
Post #: 4
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 3:24:08 PM   
Bingeling

If you consider attacking the central (brown) power on that image, the border system influences choices nicely.

There are two similar, large, circles. One below the capital, and one above. Similar size indicate similar value. But the lower one shares space with the capital. And the upper one would maybe cripple the two small colonies around. So the upper one seems much more interesting from a zone of control perspective.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 6:51:26 PM   
Sithuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

In legends a systems border can be used to easily see the strategic value of a system as shown in product screenshot below:
Border screenshot

When the borders merge into one there is no way to discern individual system population. We need a population filter. Have a circle around each system proportionate to its population. Shade the circles slightly differently when they overlap to be able to tell individual systems apart perhaps?

(in reply to oxenshtrudel)
Post #: 6
RE: Map filter to show population sizes of systems - 11/17/2011 10:06:36 PM   
Bingeling

There is still the size of the old circle surrounding the system. The really good ones stand out, as do the really puny ones the other way. You can see it in the screen linked, the ones with larger colored circles got larger inner circle as well, but it is not as obvious of course.

And until I shoot everything up, it is easy to see the major sites due to the number of trade lines. But those disappear when I kill the space port

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Map filter to show population sizes of systems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI