Complexity question.

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xPelin, 2xTom

stormbringer3

Complexity question.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I was getting ready to purchase and as I was reviewing everything, I noticed for the first time the complexity was rated as basic. I have lately been playing Panzer Corps and that complexity level is rated as basic, intermediate. Every game I buy doesn't have to be intermediate or advanced but when this title is rated only basic, I'm wondering about the level of challenge. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
ComradeP

RE: Complexity question.

Post by ComradeP »

That's a good question.

Personally, I would rate a game like Panzer Corps or any game related to Panzer General as "beer and pretzels to basic".

Complexity also often comes from the amount of units/the number of actions you have to take and not necessarily from how complex a game is to play. At its core, the actual actions in a game like WitE are often not all that much more complex than those in other games, but as you have to take them more often and with more units, the complexity increases.

I would rate Unity of Command as basic, intermediate due to the logistics and the quality of the AI in scenarios where the defenders have a realistic chance to slow you down significantly or stop you. It doesn't have the magical "more or less no matter where you are on the map, you can always resupply" excuse for a logistics system that Panzer General-like titles have, but it has a basic but clever supply system. The AI will also offer a challenge through what it does, instead of by just placing a wall of the cheapest unit type between you and the objective like in Panzer General and related games (including Panzer Corps).

It's not a really complex wargame, but if you want to win you have quite a bit more thinking to do than in "entry level" basic wargames.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

ComradeP,
Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to place an order for this game. I value your insight, especially after all your WitE postings.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

You're welcome. I hope you will enjoy the game and won't be disappointed.

If you have any further questions, now or when you get the game, feel free to ask them. The developers and testing team are more than happy to answer them.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I am thinking of purchasing the game and have loads of war games from matrix and the others. I was wondering if this game will come out with new campaigns like panzer corps? Is the map moddable etc?

Plus, how are players getting together for multiplayer games?
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Yes, there will be new content over time, "over time" being the key phrase here. No exact dates/timeframes will be given until there's actually enough new content for DLC/an expansion.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

Return to “Unity of Command Series”