PT boat generation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mistmatz

PT boat generation

Post by Mistmatz »

What are the requirements for a

a) port
b) xAK/AK

to generate available PT boats from the pool?

So far I thought any US port can generate those but I am apparently wrong, is there a max distance to a theater HQ required?
For xAK I think I remember a certain minimum tonnage, can't remember what that number was in vanilla days.
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

Quixote

RE: PT boat generation

Post by Quixote »

In both cases, I don't believe there is a minimum size, just a minimum amount of necessary supply.
In case A, as long as you have a port (at least size 1, anyway), then the minimum supply needed is 10K.
For case B, the capacity of the AK or AKs doesn't matter as long as they have enough supplies loaded to be able to create the PTs. (50 supply each, I think)
Of course both of these assume that you have available PTs in the pool to actually create.
Mistmatz

Post by Mistmatz »

Hmmmm... I think I might have a problem then.

In case a) I tried this in an US port (although different original nationality) and it didn't work despite far more than 20k supplies.

In case b) I tried it from one of those 4k-something capacity xAK vessels. Didn't work in transport or cargo mode, will try ambhibious next.

I thought there was a minimum capacity requirement too in vanilla WitP and maybe thats just not met. For the port issue I think it may not work in size 0 ports... have to double check.
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

remember they must be in pool, you cannot make them otherwise
"Tanks forward"
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

PT boats can be created if:

1. There are PT boats in the pool

2. You are at an Australian or American port which meets the following criteria

(a) port is size 1
(b) port has 10k supplies

3. You expend supply carried by a Transport TF if the following criteria is met

(a) the transport TF loaded its supply at an Australian or American port
(b) sufficient supply is carried on board to meet the minimum cost outlined in the table on page 108 of the manual

Alfred
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Alfred strikes again! [:D]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

You know, I want Alfred's copy of the manual. Obviously his is far easier to search than mine is.

[&o][&o][&o]
Pax
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Or he just reads it unlike me !! [:D]
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

No, I've read it. lots. Just can't find things again in it that I know are there. like the list of national capital bases or whatever they are called. I know there is a list of them in the manual. Yesterday tried and finally gave up trying to find them though ... but they are there ... somewhere...[&:]
Pax
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

You know, I want Alfred's copy of the manual. Obviously his is far easier to search than mine is.

[&o][&o][&o]

Hmn, I could tell you how it's done but then someone would green button me.

The basics are not that difficult to grasp. They include:
  • having a good memory
  • generally rechecking before posting
  • familiarity with the manual
  • converting data into principles
  • searching the main and sub forums separately
  • present answers succinctly and in logical order

In this instance I recalled the information was provided by the manual in commentary and tabular form, and had also been posted on several occasions, particularly by the devs. So for my rechecking I:

(1) went to chapter 6 of the manual which deals with naval units (logical, we are taling about them after all)
(2) leafed through the chapter until I found the table on page 108 (quickest way to zero in onto the subject)
(3) reread the surrounding commentary (not for the first time nor will it be the last time)
(4) did several searches on the main and war room forums, using different key words and expanding the time period to "all topics", until I came across posts from Don Bowen whom I recalled had previously explained the subject
(5) distilled the research into the simple principles which I posted.

The OP request had already been answered by others but I felt that the answers had not been provided in the most accessable format nor had clearly highlighted the key principles.

Really nothing difficult, just a willingness to do some work.[:)] As far as I'm concerned, anyone who responds on the forum to a request for information has a responsibility to provide accurate information. The humour is best left to whimsical threads. To some of the precious egos on this forum who like nothing more than to exhibit their self perceived "brilliance", this approach is found to be objectionable and worthy of green button treatment or ad hominem attacks.

Alfred
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

[&o][&o][&o]
+1
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Ah.... the PT Boat generation. A bit before my time but an admirable group of people.
Bill Durrant

Post by Bill Durrant »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Ah.... the PT Boat generation. A bit before my time but an admirable group of people.

Exactly what went through my mind when I read the heading[:D]
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

The game has PT boats? [:D]
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Alfred, you are WAY too serious... and that's good.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

No, I've read it. lots. Just can't find things again in it that I know are there. like the list of national capital bases or whatever they are called. I know there is a list of them in the manual. Yesterday tried and finally gave up trying to find them though ... but they are there ... somewhere...[&:]

Is the table on page 262 of the manual what you had in mind?

Alfred
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Hi,

clearly I'm missing something. I'm posting here my question because it looks to me related to this thread.

My goal is sending a TF w/ supply to Sumatra in order to generate some midget subs. Game is DBB scen 28C and we're playing latest Beta (1.7.11.23x10). Game date is July 1942.

My procedure.
In Hiroshima / Kure I'm creating a one-ship Transport TF (but I've tryed multiple-ship TF as well). I'm setting destination (Sabang) and loading supply. Activate options (i.e. Barges, PT boats and so on) are dimmed.
The following day, my TF is heading to destination with 2505 supply but Activate options are vanished!

I've tried a number of different options, like using Cargo TFs, multiple ship in TF, creating TF and loading supply at a different port (namely Tokyo) but the final result is the same: I've no Activate button visible after TF sailed.

Any help appreciated. If useful I could provide screenshots.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

A simpler way. Click around the map until you find a base that will allow you to create PT boats, create some PT boats, move them to where you want. I know it is lame but it is how I do it and it works just fine.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: adsoul64
I'm setting destination (Sabang) and loading supply. Activate options (i.e. Barges, PT boats and so on) are dimmed.
The following day, my TF is heading to destination with 2505 supply but Activate options are vanished!

That's because you can't activate the PT boats at sea. You have to be in a port hex.
The options gray out as soon as your TF leaves the port hex and won't be re-enabled until you enter another port hex.
Hans

adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Thanks. That's what I'm doing when I play Allies. Unfortunately this does not work with midget subs because their short range and, like subs, you can't mix them with biggest ships for refueling. I could form a midget carrier TF but I'm not happy to waste some carrier SS in purely defensive missions.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”