Matrix Games Forums

Civil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now available
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Historical Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Historical Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Historical Units - 11/13/2011 9:29:14 PM   
RCH

I have bought the game and am trying to understand it (learn to play). I am a bit of a historical nut and right off have noticed some irregularities.

1. Gen Price is in Arkansas not Springfield, Mo. His troops are not Missouri troops, but are Arkansas troops and Louisianan troops. Where is the Missouri State Guard? Gen. Price lead Missouri troops throughout the war. The first and second Missouri brigades contributed enormously to the southern cause, but in this game do they not exist? Gen. McCullough doesn't have any Texas troops?
Mananas is represented, but not Wilson's Creek??? It seams Missouri is lost right off the bat, when in actuality there was a fierce struggle in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.
Missouri troops made contributions east of the Mississippi throughout the war. Vicksburg, Atlanta, and even some cavalry was sent to Virginia.
2. Gen Stuart is leading Texas Cavalry not Virginian cavalry. Was there ever Texan cavalry in Virginia?
3. Gen Longstreet is not leading Virginian Infantry at Mananas.

I am assuming border states do not provide troops unless that state is controlled by one side or the other? If that is so, then that is a shame.
Post #: 1
RE: Historical Units - 11/15/2011 5:20:10 PM   
Joel Billings

Rule 15.2.2 deals with how population points go to each side, so border states can produce recruits for both sides, and it's the manpower that matters.

There is a lot of abstraction in the game, and we never attempted to name the starting units based on history. We simply divided up the starting units in some way based on the populations of the various states.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to RCH)
Post #: 2
RE: Historical Units - 11/20/2011 2:24:37 PM   
RCH

It's a good game.  I have had it for a week or so, and so far, it is pretty good.  I haven't seen any border state units yet, but the game is not set up to be exactly historical when it comes to units.  The generals attributes do seem to be more important and historical.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Historical Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI