Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How hard can it be ? - Peiper's Race for the Meuse - Allied

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: How hard can it be ? - Peiper's Race for the Meuse - Allied Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How hard can it be ? - Peiper's Race for the Meuse ... - 11/16/2011 9:05:26 PM   
miya

D6 19:00

Monty ends the battle and calls it a marginal victory. Actually I do not feel like it. I am disapointed about my failure at Stavelot. I will try to summarize what, in my opinion, can be done better later.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by miya -- 11/16/2011 9:06:41 PM >

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 31
RE: How hard can it be ? - Peiper's Race for the Meuse ... - 11/17/2011 4:47:52 PM   
miya

Time to conclude the AAR. At the end of this post you will find a map with the final positions of all remaining troops. Thanks to the scenario designers, it was a lot fun and I have couple of idea what to try the next time.
When I think about playing the scenario, some mistakes come to my mind, which could have been preventable. I was too optimistic. The first defence lines for the 30th Infantry Div were set to far south. The chaotic developments over the next day are a direct result of that incorrect assessment.
The use of the 82nd Airborne was everything else than optimal. Looking at the 504th and the bridgehead at Habiemont Bridge. Once the regiment crossed the river it became clear that there is no chance to move along the road east. The better solution could have been to withdraw two of three battalions and move along tracks and trails. I tried that later in the game, but with too few troops envolved and too late.
I have to pay more attention for planning Phase II. Totally focused on how to stop the AI, I did not develop a good and waterproof plan for my own advance. Going south, retake Stavelot was all. Such an enterprise needs many little steps.
What about the following tactical things, which I might try to use more in the future. Using artillery units in a frontline duty for a short period of time. Those units equipped with M7s, Shermans and Halftracks (30cal and 50cal MG) should be a tough nut to crack for everyone who intends to attack their position.
Maneuver more with the infantry units and find a good defence position to fire on the enemy. But don't get static. I would rather fire a lot more tons of ammunition than lose a company in a attack. This means make an attack your last choice.
Sounds easy, but it isn't.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: How hard can it be ? - Peiper's Race for the Meuse - Allied Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI