Let's Play DW RotS - Starting a new game

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

Let's Play DW RotS - Starting a new game

Post by DasTactic »

This 'Let's Play' series of videos for Return of the Shakturi is really designed to show approaches and settings to get the most out of your game. I'll post them here as they are done. Please, if you have any suggestions or comments it would be great to get other perspectives. Already implemented some suggestions [:)].

Some of the videos are going to be 'boring' because I want to delve a little under the hood to show the game mechanics and the tools you have available to form your strategies. I guess this is geared toward players starting out who may feel a little lost with the game.

Enjoy. [:D]

Full Playlist
Click here to view the complete playlist: Distant Worlds RotS

DasTactic

RE: Let's Play DW RotS - Starting a new game

Post by DasTactic »

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 1
This first video really just covers the options and settings before a game is even generated. Some settings make games easier and some settings make games more difficult - the trouble is knowing which one does what! Skip this video if you are comfortable with your setup.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 2
Before you un-pause the game at the start there are quite a few things you can and probably should do. This video looks at these sort of things.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 3
This should probably have been called Part 2b as it really just follows on from the previous video. We have a quick look at the Keterov's (our neighbours) and work out a broad strategic approach to take with them.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 4
Now we unpause the game and watch as the initial steps are made into the unknown. We have a closer look at the diplomacy screen and come across our first pirate base. And one of our Exploration ships runs into trouble.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 5
We find a great world we can colonise. A bit of time is spent to show why the resources available to the planet are important to us and we look at how to check your resource levels. The planet is so good our thinking changes about what would happen if the Keterov's colonised it first.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 6
The world is colonised and there is a little bit of trouble offloading some troops.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 7
We secure our relationship with the Ketarovs and start trading.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 8
We spread our wings and start exploring the space around us hoping to come across other races.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 9
We meet the Gizurean menace - they must be exterminated! This video is mainly about the initial planning and suppositions about the Gizurean planets (we suspect they have integrated a Keterov planet). This video also covers some ship design where we prepare for an attack.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 10
We find a source of Korabbian Spice. And we launch the attack on Tenales. This should be the last video in this series. [:)]

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 11
The game has now progressed some months later. Spies have discovered all the Gizurean worlds and we learn there is a better target than the one we had attacked earlier. Our initial attack has been repulsed so we need to plan further.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 12
The attack on the Keterov moon.

Lets Play Distant Worlds RotS - Part 13
My game crashed as the end of video 12 so this is a continuation of the attack.

This will be the last video in the series. [:)]

Data

Post by Data »

heeeey, more parts......excuse me while I go watch them [&o]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Enjoyed watching, thanks for the effort. Good tips on the hot keys.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Nice intro video from the guy making my favorite motivation AAR :)

My "Huh? Is that possible" details

Ctrl-right clicking a system to get a list of contents to send a selected fleet to. No more aiming to hit the space port. Duh.

Some mystery click on the home spaceport gave a nice list of ships there. No more aiming for a corner of the symbol either?

Keyboard shortcut to fleet?!

And did you actually pot aoe weapons on the cruisers? Never crossed my mind, and I am not likely to change.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Ctrl-right click is great in DW. I very rarely just use the best-guess right click. [:)]

The keyboard shortcut should have been called 'hotkey'. Just the Ctrl [1 - 0] keys. This can be done for any object in the game and makes life a little easier when things may become complicated.

Area weapons on cruisers - I have no idea really what's good or bad. If its new and shiny and I can afford it then it goes on. [;)]
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

I like your show, it's just preventing me from playing my own games. ;)

I have learnt lots of aspects of the game, I've not been aware of.

So thanks guy for posting. Good stuff, quite natural.
My respect.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Awesome videos, thanks Das123!! Do you mind if we highlight these in our newsletter?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

That would be great Erik. [:)] DW is such an awesomely open-ended game I'd be really happy if they help out in some way.

PS. Made another 3 videos when I found the 'real' target. [:)]
Data

Post by Data »

I hope you realize you'll remain the first man to LP DW on youtube....for all time. I mean there were some other gameplay videos but no LP...and that will attract a ton of people.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Data

Post by Data »

This should be the last video in this series
Made another 3 videos when I found the 'real' target

Awesome sauce [:)] Ohh, wait
This will be the last video in the series

*me wonders* [:)]
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Number7 shows the flaw with the diplomacy system in full effect.Getting good relations and trade treaties for the human player is so easy even early game.With a developed economy you can bride the galaxy in 2 mins to love you.A.I's struggle to even get trade treaty with others A.I's.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Number7 shows the flaw with the diplomacy system in full effect.Getting good relations and trade treaties for the human player is so easy even early game.With a developed economy you can bride the galaxy in 2 mins to love you.A.I's struggle to even get trade treaty with others A.I's.

Which is part of why we overhauled the diplomacy system for Distant Worlds: Legends. If it's still too easy, we'll make it more challenging, but I think the AIs do much better than they were before based on my testing.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Nice last 3 as well. Sloppy control of the new system, though. Fighting ships have to be kept under control or they drift off after ships running.

I think what you saw on the angry new conquest at the end was an "old" dissatisfaction of being in system with a larger colony of another empire. Except that it was not another empire anymore. I guess just a slow update on resetting the population attitudes after conquest.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: Data

I hope you realize you'll remain the first man to LP DW on youtube....for all time. I mean there were some other gameplay videos but no LP...and that will attract a ton of people.

That is actually a scary thought! [X(]
ORIGINAL: Data
This will be the last video in the series

*me wonders* [:)]

No. This will be the last in this series. This galaxy is too docile having too many friendly races. There will most likely be some bad races out there but they would be too far away. This is one of the things I really enjoy about DW though - not knowing what you're in for before you start.[:)]

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I think what you saw on the angry new conquest at the end was an "old" dissatisfaction of being in system with a larger colony of another empire. Except that it was not another empire anymore. I guess just a slow update on resetting the population attitudes after conquest.

I think you could be right.

-----------------------------------------------------

One question I have is has anyone else had Space Ports build so far away from planets before? I've not seen it that I can remember. This is my first game played in a window so I'm wondering if that is what caused it. Most of the time the Space Ports are right under where I right-click to start building.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Those are some nice videos! Great work Das123! I assume you are going to do some vids of Legends when it comes out. That should give DW some publicity, in addition to these vids of course.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

I said first...not the only one [:)]
If that was the scary part.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Those are some nice videos! Great work Das123! I assume you are going to do some vids of Legends when it comes out. That should give DW some publicity, in addition to these vids of course.

That series was really just a test for when Legends comes out. I was going to do a normal AAR for Legends then thought I would try a video AAR. I've got to say that the normal AAR took sooooooooo much longer than the video AAR - which really surprised me TBH. I didn't edit anything at all - the videos were as recorded which made the timing really fast. [:)]

Based on the fast turn-around time I've got an idea for Legends which is to play a portion of the game every 24 to 48 hours time permitting and basically serialise it. The goal would be to try and have a strategic, tactical, or moral choice to be made at the end of each episode. Then based on comments play out the next portion of the game with community consensus. I was thinking it would be fun to play an open-ended game like that and I think I would learn a lot. Instead of a 'Let's Play...' it would be a 'Let's All Play...'. [:D]

Based on something like that do we know yet if there are going to be any new races in Legends? The first choice would be what race we play, size of galaxy etc.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Great stuff, Das!  You definitely do a good job of making a Let's Play.

You had mentioned that dealing with Pirates lowers your reputation.  I'm pretty sure that's true if you form alliances with them or pay them off to attack another empire but I don't think that's true if you simply pay their protection fee.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can verify that.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Which is part of why we overhauled the diplomacy system for Distant Worlds: Legends. If it's still too easy, we'll make it more challenging, but I think the AIs do much better than they were before based on my testing.

Regards,

- Erik

I am so itching to see these changes it's not even funny [8D]

Return to “After Action Reports”