Matrix games on Steam?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Goragg

Matrix games on Steam?

Post by Goragg »

I searched the forum and found some unhappy players when it come sto Steam.

Personally I have had an excellent experience. So much so that I won;t buy digitl versions anywhere else.

I have also come to disdain physical media as cumbursome and annoying.

Any chance Matrix will be selling on Steam in the future?
IainMcNeil

RE: Matrix games on Steam?

Post by IainMcNeil »

Very unlikely - Steam would not be interested in these type of games. They only want cheap mass-market games. Can you imagine War in the East at $80 :) It just wouldn't happen.

So you'd have to buy direct from us. However we have a very simple serial number system that means none of the hassle of remembering account details etc. Once you buy the game you own it and can install as often as you like and download it again later.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

^ Whilst your system is by far the least intrusive, what I would like to see is no need to enter the serial number again for a patch - it's not like you can't get the serial number - you do store it on the system (I'm sure I saw it in the Registry)...so remove that requirement and it's really the least intrusive, least annoying, least cumbersome and most intelligent system out there.
Alba gu' brath
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

^ Whilst your system is by far the least intrusive, what I would like to see is no need to enter the serial number again for a patch - it's not like you can't get the serial number - you do store it on the system (I'm sure I saw it in the Registry)...so remove that requirement and it's really the least intrusive, least annoying, least cumbersome and most intelligent system out there.

Perhaps it is only with recent games, or depending on how your rig is set up, but I have noticed that the serial number is already entered when I install patches. I have not needed to re enter serial numbers for Panzer Corps, all AGEOD titles, and a couple of other games for some time.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

That's interesting - because I always have to go to my serial text file and find the game, copy the serial and paste into the game installer...ALWAYS...for as long as I've bought games from Matrix - and most recently was for Panzer Corps.

And I'm not entirely sure how I would setup my computer to prevent/allow the serial number to be retreived
Alba gu' brath
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I never knowingly changed anything on my pc to allow this to happen and always presumed that the update installer was now simply finding the serial number in the main game folder and pasting it in on its own....
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

My experience is the same as JudgeDredd's. I have to input the serial # for pretty much every patch.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Either of you using Windows 7? I am and maybe it is inherent in the OS...
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Dear Matrix,

Please never, ever I repeat NEVER consider using steam for your games!
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I use Windows 7 - but this has been an irritating issue (albeit a very small one) for me since I started buying games - so all through my XP days too.
Alba gu' brath
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well then I'm flummoxed as to why my serial numbers are automatically inserted.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Dear Matrix,

As mentioned, the likelihood is not there anyway because of the games being sold here...

However, I presume you mean "Please never, ever I repeat NEVER consider SOLELY using steam for your games!" because using it as an additional outlet wouldn't really affect you or any other steam "haters" and may well do the company (and it's developers) some good - at the very least with exposure. There seem to be plenty of indy developers games on Steam - priced low but still getting their name and product out there.

Anyway - as Iain alluded to - it's a moot point...Steam would not be interested.
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Well then I'm flummoxed as to why my serial numbers are automatically inserted.

Do you use the update option in the program, or do you download the patch and install manually?
Tony
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I download and install the patch manually
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I download and install the patch manually

When I do that, I have to insert the serial number. When I let the program check for updates I don't have to. It's all done for me...At least on the ones that I've used the automatic updates on!!
Tony
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

oh - well there you go. I haven't used the updater on the game menu for ages - last time I used it was quite a few years ago and I'm it didn't work (I think it was something to do with being in the UK).
Alba gu' brath
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I update manually all the time....could it be whether or not one has the save password security feature active or not? I allow Windows 7 to save my passwords so perhaps serial numbers fall into that group.....
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Dear Matrix,

What he said! Please, no steam for Matrix!
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

Without going into the old argument about steam itself,....... I will say that those who dont wish to use steam should do that,...and stop trying to prevent others from being able to use it. If you want to sit on the porch in your rocking chair talking about how great the "goold ole days" were, thats fine,...but please dont try and imprison those of us who dont mind living in the modern world there with you. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean you should try to prevent others from using it.
Goragg

Post by Goragg »

That is unfortunate.

I bought the complete Paradox collection off Steam.

This includes such powerhouse titles as Hearts Of Iron, Victoria, Europa Universalis, Mount and Blade etc

Many of these title are far from 'top shelf'

The indie stuff is often much worse quality.

If your response is based on attempting and being tols no by Steam I understand but if you haven't tried...

Return to “General Discussion”