Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR - 11/8/2011 10:57:01 PM   
Major SNAFU

Hi all,

Being new to BFTB I have determined to play the scenarios through in the sequence from the manual and to also do it in an iterative fashion allowing people to make suggestions, primarily with regards to planning or tips to better play.

I have not looked at any other AARs related to this scenario.

Posting will be erratic as my work schedule often forces me away from the game for days, if not weeks. But this game is the first one that has really made me want to write up AARs.

So here goes:

After looking over the map and the various objectives, I have drafted this initial plan to which I now will begin to evaluate with regards to the units to hand, their quality, etc. This is essentially my first pass at "What I would like to do and a rough 'when'".

So, if you will refer to the picture as I describe my plan.

Green line, the main line of travel needed to move units to the critical exit points by day 3. The plan revolves around forcing this open. There is no intention of clearing the map or contesting objectives not in line with this overriding objective.

The blue line is the northern containment line. I want to push back the OPFOR and hold them beyond this line. I don't care at this moment about taking any of the objectives North and West of the blue line.

Phase 1 Yellow arrows Use existing infantry to push back and apply pressure to increase security of the travel route.

Phase 2 The purple-ish red lines. Using Infantry and Armour as available, push back and secure these areas.

Phase 3 The red lines. Using Inf and Armor to push the OPFOR again to the blue line. Perhaps prime the two crossings.

Timeline:
Phase 1 and beginning of Phase 2 on Day 1
Phase 2 completion and begin Phase 3 on Day 2
Phase 3 completion Day 3 AM, exit forces on Day3.

Late on Day 1 relocate some Art to Losheimergraben. Must be in place no later than afternoon on Day 2 if Phase one slips.

Comments?

Attachment (1)

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR - 11/10/2011 9:09:06 PM   
Narciso

Hello, Major SNAFU. It looks a good plan, I think it could work. I'm just now playing this scenario too( with seasonal weather and painfully realistic orders delay) and it's much more difficult than the tutorial. Good luck!
(Advice:After phase 1 regiments 989 and 990 might go towards Rocherath instead of staying static along that minor road. Thus the AI will be more pressed.)

(in reply to Major SNAFU)
Post #: 2
RE: Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR - 11/23/2011 4:11:36 PM   
Major SNAFU

Sorry for lack of progress.  I haven't had time to play BftB since the original post.  Now with the patch out, this is postponed until I play through Hofen again with the patch and then come back to this.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to Narciso)
Post #: 3
RE: Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR - 1/27/2012 5:24:52 PM   
Narciso

sorry, wrong thread

< Message edited by Narciso -- 1/27/2012 5:27:10 PM >

(in reply to Major SNAFU)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Elsenborn Ridge - Ger - Learning/co-op AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI