Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fall Blau AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fall Blau AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 7:02:19 PM   
ComradeP

Turn 5.

Brilliant victory, 1 turn early. There are 2 Soviet units left on the map.

The scenario automatically ends as soon as all objectives are captured, which does mean that some suicidal lunges are possible in theory, but thus far those are rare in most scenarios.

600 out of 700 points. In a campaign, I would've gotten full points, but this was played as a scenario, so the prestige I spent is removed from the total score.

Attachment (1)

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 31
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 7:59:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for posting this, Pieter!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 32
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 8:12:51 PM   
ComradeP

You're welcome Erik. Things like this are part of my personal contribution to the community. As Unity of Command was until recently a fairly obscure title, many people on these forums might not have heard about it in detail before, and as release is imminent, I felt the need to post something like this to give the community some information.

I can, once again, only stress that this scenario is mostly not too difficult because of the initial unit placement. Me winning this scenario like this has little to do with the AI being "bad", as it's quite good, but it just didn't have the means at its disposal to delay me enough.

In multiplayer, this scenario would be quite different. For starters: I don't think a brilliant victory is possible, because you're not likely to get adjacent to the objective across the Don by turn 3.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 11/8/2011 8:16:10 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 9:38:00 PM   
2xTom

Great AAR Pieter, thx!

I think it's especially nice in that it shows you can win, even a Brilliant Victory, even if you don't follow the historical playbook. In my own playthroughs of this I mostly use the historical approach: muscle my way across the Donets east of Izium and then sprint along the northern bank.

Cheers,

Tomislav

Tomislav Uzelac
Unity of Command Lead Developer

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 34
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 10:20:53 PM   
ComradeP

For clarity's sake: the scenario difficulty is rated as being "medium", probably primarily due to the advantage the Axis have in terms of both unit placement and unit quality. With the historical strategy, you'd probably indeed be running a race against time, whilst the strategy shown in this AAR is also a race against time, but it allows you to finish early.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 11/8/2011 10:21:48 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to 2xTom)
Post #: 35
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/8/2011 10:52:21 PM   
2xTom

I think we've seen this in testing with several scenarios - it's possible to finish early with expert play, but it's never a sure thing. Usually that extra turn is more like an insurance if weather turns bad or you get a really bad roll.

Also, not all of the scenarios have this constant "race against the clock" tension throughout. I think Case Blue actually stands out in that respect.

Tomislav Uzelac

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 36
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/9/2011 12:33:29 PM   
Noakesy

Nice AAR (as usual!) Comrade. The game looks really promising. I'm a big fan of NATO symbols, but this looks quite nice and has some character to the general look and feel of the screen shots. I also like the way the units characteristics are summarised. Look forward to seeing this 'in the shops' (once we know what the price is of course )

(in reply to 2xTom)
Post #: 37
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/10/2011 4:50:27 PM   
jjdenver

It's nice to hear this game is light on the "race against the clock" scenarios - that really gets annoying in Panzer Corp and Panzer General. Every scenario once you get past the tutorial is race against the clock. How about just having tough objectives to achieve instead of a race every time?

AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1735661

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 38
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/11/2011 1:36:05 AM   
jomni

I hate race against the clock scenarios.  Even WITE has it for the small scenarios.  And this is basically the victory scheme of Panzer Corps.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 39
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/11/2011 10:45:59 AM   
2xTom

We really had no choice with "Case Blue" - it was a race against the clock historically. The Germans were really anxious to get past Rostov and into the Caucasus quickly.

To me, this is the low point of the entire campaign for the Soviets, 2nd Kharkov notwithstanding. They just melted away in complete disarray. But from that point on, their resistance becomes increasingly stiffer. I hope we captured this correctly in the scenarios.

Tomislav Uzelac

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 40
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/22/2011 3:06:06 PM   
Anguille

I am impressed...just played it twice...almost won (forgot about the extented range, i just needed to move to the last objective as the place was empty) but winning in 6 turns...wow.

Armada 2526 Supernova and Distant Worlds - Legends: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

(in reply to 2xTom)
Post #: 41
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 11/24/2011 9:43:49 PM   
ComradeP

5 turns in this case, I was a bit surprised too as the previous time I won on turn 6. The critical difference was getting supply to the central part of the map through the rail line 1 turn earlier in a way that the mobile units could approach the final objective from the northwest (in my first attempt, I approached both of the eastern objectives from the south).

One of the joys of a game like this, at least to me, is that you can keep improving your strategy until you're rewarded with a brilliant victory. It is, of course, "just a game", but it feels like a real achievement in many of the scenarios.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 42
RE: Fall Blau AAR - 12/17/2011 2:28:10 PM   
sambruzs

Cheers,
Thanks for the excellent AAR, ComradeP. I really enjoyed your screenshots and narrative. Well Done.
This is an EXCELLENT game!

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Unity of Command Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fall Blau AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI