Q: masterfile and random games

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

rogerbacon51

Q: masterfile and random games

Post by rogerbacon51 »

I want to make a few minor customizations to the masterfile and then have that version used with my random games. How do I do that? I know I can make changes for the current random game but how do I save those changes for future random games?
CSO_Talorgan

RE: Q: masterfile and random games

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Bump
Vic

Post by Vic »

1. basically you save your changed masterfile as for example MyRandomMaster.at2

2. then you go to random game setup screen and press the "m" button and select MyRandomMaster.at2 and proceed with making a random scenario.

This way the random game will be generated from your modified masterfile.

best regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Is it possible for a moron to edit the masterfile?

This particular moron could probably cope with something like changing "vehicle speed = 10" to 15; but anything that involves more than just changing existing values for speed, range or whatever. As I can't even understand the manual I suspect this is probably best left to someone else.

Is it possible to get all production to cease after say 25 turns?

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

In this editor, you can do pretty much everything... So yes, you could make all production cease after 25 turns...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Interesting idea, forcing a production stop in a random game.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Krafty

Post by Krafty »

How to stop production with the editor would be a good tutorial, there are several posts recently about games without production. Teaching these guys how to do that would help bolster the community :)
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well,

Again this depends on what you mean by stopping production.

Taken at face value this could be done simply by making an event, that checks the round number, if it is higher than a given number, change the rulevar that allows production.

This however has one inbuilt problem, as far as I see it. What about unit supplies? Wouldn´t be much fun playing the game if your units run out of supply two turns later.

So if you want to keep supplies, then it would involve something like making an event that reduced all non-supply to 0% production. Probably best done by making all items except supplies be ProdMod1, and supplies be ProdMod2, and then simply changing all people prod production of ProdMod1 to 0.

There are of course other ways of doing this. But this was just off the top of my head. The event coding would be fairly straightforward.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”