AI

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Valgua

AI

Post by Valgua »

I have heard great thinks about the AI in the beta AARs. Some of these, however, concerned limited scenarios. Could the developers or the beta testers say something about the AI? Will it be able to plan amphibious operations like Overlord or Sea Lion (will it for instance choose an alternative plan if the beaches of Normandy are too heavily defended, or skip the invasion of France all together opting to fight its way to Germany thorough Italy)? Will it be able to play the mediterranean with competence?
doomtrader

RE: AI

Post by doomtrader »

I'm pretty sure that you will be able to watch how AI organize amphibious operations like both Jubilee or Overlord.

Personally I think that pushing trough Italy was a tough plan.
vincere

Post by vincere »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I'm pretty sure that you will be able to watch how AI organize amphibious operations like both Jubilee or Overlord.

Personally I think that pushing trough Italy was a tough plan.

That will be something special in a Strategic gae of this scope if AI can pull that off in a balanced way.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Most probably there was just not enough space for large campaigns in Italy.
If both Germans and Allies will use all their forces used in Normandy and later in France, in Italy, then both sides will just stuck in gigantic traffic jams.

Probably much better effects would give attacking trough Balkans.
vincere

Post by vincere »

I am interested about the German AI, even though I will play them most.

Can the German strategic AI adequately balance it's forces for Eastern and West Fronts? Will it strategic move units from one front to another for defence and maybe even to support new offensives?

Pull units out of the east and south to protect France?

(edited: I thinking about another strategic WW2 game where teh German AI will often leave one front very weakened or even unprotected. )
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Generally the AI is trying to cover all fronts and not allowing the enemy to gain to much advantage.

Of course AI (the same as human) is not able to predict where the enemy will start the invasion, however as soon as it will started, the AI should start to react.
vincere

Post by vincere »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Generally the AI is trying to cover all fronts and not allowing the enemy to gain to much advantage.

Of course AI (the same as human) is not able to predict where the enemy will start the invasion, however as soon as it will started, the AI should start to react.

Thank you for a quick reply.
Sounds encouraging, I really hope that it can react strongly sometimes and, if there are any, take units out of the quiet areas first.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

The AI are trying to pull the units from better secured fronts to those endangered.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

In one of my PBEM games I'm playing Germans, and my opponent is playing as UK and USA.
My winter offensive turned into a spring offensive actually, and the situation looks like that:

I just received feedback, that the French Air Forces has withdraw to UK.
vincere

Post by vincere »

Nice screen shot.

An observation from this and some of the AAR screens. Seems like quite a few 'gaps' in the line. I heard mention of zones of control, can anybody flesh out how they work, and how far they extend for a Corps?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Zone of Control is adapted to the scale of the game and it is always all hexes adjacent to the unit.
Every enemy unit which is trying to move within the ZOC is forced to spend additional movement points. This causes the unit to move less hexes or attack less number of times.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: vincere

Nice screen shot.

An observation from this and some of the AAR screens. Seems like quite a few 'gaps' in the line. I heard mention of zones of control, can anybody flesh out how they work, and how far they extend for a Corps?

You do not get to see all the enemy troops along a front line, unless you just happen to be close enough to overcome the fog of war, which can be set to as little as 1 hex. Even if you can sense the presence of an enemy unit, you may not get enough info on it to determine strength or type. Recon is necessary.

vincere

Post by vincere »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

You do not get to see all the enemy troops along a front line, unless you just happen to be close enough to overcome the fog of war, which can be set to as little as 1 hex. Even if you can sense the presence of an enemy unit, you may not get enough info on it to determine strength or type. Recon is necessary.

Sounds good. I guess we can use air recon and are people using divisions. In fact is there much cause to break up corps into divisons?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Yes, you can use air recon, but be aware that your unit might be intercepted.

Main difference between the division and corps except the strength is speed. Divisions are usually faster.
vincere

Post by vincere »

One of your recent shots over at Slitherine also showed independent brigades around Moscow.

Get well soon by the way, sorry to read your misfortune over on teh other threads.
Josh

Post by Josh »

" It's 2:26 in Poland.
I've got twisted ankle and crushed left hand and doing my best to get the game ready for you as soon as possible."

Ooops, sorry to hear about your mishap Leszek. [:(] Get well soon.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

vincere, We have put a lot f work to make the starting OOB as accurate as possible.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

You can take a look at this thread and check how the AI is doing against me:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29735

I'm in a big trouble
tombo

Post by tombo »

does naval bombardment work for ToF? Are results shown in reports and battle display?

If so is it similar to SotP?

cheers

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

By the naval bombardment you mean bombarding the land units by cruisers or battleships or attacking with the use of carriers?

Return to “Time of Fury”