Swords of the Stars II - Friendly warning

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sarissofoi

Swords of the Stars II - Friendly warning

Post by Sarissofoi »

Greetings
A lot time pass when I was here before.
Good to see that Distant World is doing ok.
So I come with a friendly warning.
There is Swords of the Stars II on sale.
Dont even try to buy it(unless you are masochist or want to wste money).
The game look and play like early alpha which mean it is no playble and full of bugs.
Comparing to this failgame Master of Orion 3 is the best realese ever.
Feel fry to try but then not cry.
Good luck
Nedrear

RE: Swords of the Stars II - Friendly warning

Post by Nedrear »

The same - just a review to be beta - is in the confession thread. Figure out, together with the other author, which one will be used or let them merge.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

My bad. I look for something with SotS in title.
Merge but under more informative title.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Hey Sarissofoi, great to see you again! How are the Chaos cats??
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Sorry off-topic I know, Webb where is that Frog in your avatar from?
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Hey Sarissofoi, great to see you again! How are the Chaos cats??
Hello Webbco Good to see you again
Chaos cats are ok. They are currently two in my room causing chaos and mayhem. Cute little bastards.
I am glad that you remember me, meyby i should lurk here more often
See you later
Balakirev

Post by Balakirev »

SotS2 is playable, and not prone to crashing.  That said, it's got a number of unfinished features, a really convoluted UI, a terrible manual, various bugs, and no tutorial.  In other words, in a better world, where games are released when they're finished, this one would be counted mid-beta.  It's evident based on comments by the developers that they lost  series of team members this year, fell behind schedule, and had to get the game out after several delays because of commitments.

The mechanics frankly sound great if you read about them, and I think the possibilities are there for an interesting title.  But it's going to be a couple of months at least before they turn around a lot of this.  Someone already asked for alternatives in the Paradox forums, and I mentioned by DW and the X3 series.  In fact, DW has been mentioned most of all, which says something (good).
YourConscience

Post by YourConscience »

Yeah, I bought Sots2 and all I've got to do now is hope that they'll fix it.

Anyway, Distant Worlds, in my opinion, is the sleeper hit currently. Almost no one knows about it, but with the last expansion and all the patches by now it is a serious candidate for a classic right next to Moo and the likes.

I think Matrix could do well by running a larger marketing campaign for a clean re-release with all inclusive.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

I think Matrix could do well by running a larger marketing campaign for a clean re-release with all inclusive.

It's still too early to say for certain whether DW is ready for a proper release through the main stream retail paths of high street stores and steam. Lets see how the user interface and empire management looks post Legends.

Is the tutorial ready for a wide scale release?
YourConscience

Post by YourConscience »

Uh, I wasn't talking about that kind of a huge release. I just meant putting a few ads on some better known places for a week or two after release, as opposed to the current no-ads whatsoever. (or none that I would have noticed)
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

i also bought SOTS2 - its totally unfinished and i am trying to get a refund

the forums over at paradox have been VERY active with complaints - and the Kerberos forums were down for a day or more following release
Farrels

Post by Farrels »

Distant Worlds is being banded about as a alternative to SOTS 2 on the Paradox forums, so maybe expect some extra traffic on here and for Distant Worlds to become more widely known
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Matrix need to get DW on Steam at least, they would definitely pick up sales and a following.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Data

Post by Data »

I for one like it as it is and to get more publicity in other ways...no steam or impulse, thank you [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I think we discussed the Steam issue sometime in the past.  The conclusions was that apparently it is more profitable to sell direct to a small audience than to a larger audience with a middle-man taking a cut.  Unless you are going to sell many, many copies, you know, like a Total War series kind of sales figures, Steam isn't the best option.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

I understand the concern over SOTS II, but please remember our forum rules. If you want to post constructive criticism about SOTS II, you are welcome to, though that's better posted directly to Kerberos or Paradox then here. If you want to issue a general "state of game" warning to other gamers, fine. However, please don't bash other developers or publishers here, keep it civil and constructive just as you would if they were other posters.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Also, you can be assured that we are doing everything possible to get DW as wide an audience as we can. We are not trying to keep this a secret at all. Any help you can provide spreading the word is always appreciated though. Mainstream channels are not always open to strategy games.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Data

Post by Data »

They will open to this one [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

I've seen a lot of references to DW on the Paradox forums in the last couple days. I love the SotS franchise, but this whole fiasco is at least giving DW some exposure as people look for other games to spend some money on this weekend. [8D]
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

never tried SotS myself, have heard nothing but good things about the first one.  I don't want any space strategy dev to struggle, so I hope they turn things around and get SotS II working well soon.

However, the extra attention to DW is of course really welcome, its a small but friendly community who are always willing to help new players.  Now is a great time to start playing DW too, because the 2nd add-on comes very soon, which will add a great deal to an already great game. [:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”