Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rebellions post invasion of large world

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Rebellions post invasion of large world Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 6:28:42 PM   
Sithuk

When I successfully invade a large pop enemy world I typically experience a significant rebellion. It is not uncommon to see 30+ rebellion troops appear.

Pros:
1) It could be viewed as a useful feature to prevent the human grabbing lots of high pop worlds too easily.

Cons:
2) The human player micro-manages to leave the invasion of all high pop planets left in an AI empire to prevent rebellion related losses by eliminating the AI from the game in one swipe.

Comments:
i) The AI should be able to re-appear as a result of a planet rebellion to prevent the human trying the mass invade at once strategy.
ii) Rebellions give value to the planet bombard techs as the population can be cleared prior to invasion. Reducing population beforehand prevents the human player getting too powerfull too quickly from grabbing high pop worlds.

What are you views?
Post #: 1
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 6:35:50 PM   
Kayoz

Unfortunately there's no "suppression" mechanism in DW.

Once you invade, the world is yours - the same as any other. Invade, pull your troops off, continue to the next.

So, I'm not sure what you mean "micro-manage". How does dropping taxes so the planet won't rebel, count as "micro-manage"?

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 2
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 6:42:04 PM   
Sithuk

quote:

Once you invade, the world is yours - the same as any other. Invade, pull your troops off, continue to the next.

Kayoz: This is absolutely not my experience with RoTS. In RoTS a high pop planet will rebel with a significant number of troops. The micro-managing to take out the AI empire in one fell swoop is required to prevent high pop rebellions post invasion.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 3
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 6:52:14 PM   
WiZz

Bombs are useful...

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 4
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 9:20:31 PM   
YourConscience

That's what Gaddaffi thought as well. See where it got him now. Not pretty...

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 5
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 9:49:22 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: YourConscience

Actually it was him who got bombed.

(in reply to YourConscience)
Post #: 6
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/28/2011 11:26:31 PM   
Bingeling

Setting taxes to 0 should be done the moment you conquer during war. Some species may be awfully critical of 'war with their own species', though.

And large pop planets does indeed create large rebellions.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/29/2011 9:08:28 AM   
Sithuk

quote:

Setting taxes to 0 should be done the moment you conquer during war.

Bingeling: Quite right, most players I suspect do this as a matter of course. Low taxes are unlikely to prevent a rebellion on a high pop world. As you rightly point out the "war with own species" modifier more than cancels out the low tax benefit.

I recognise there are pros and cons. I was wondering what the community's views were on whether the feature is an undesirable one or not. It can be a little frustrating to see a significantly large invasion force that took a long time to train and transport be more than matched by an instant rebellion.

1) Can someone confirm that the AI gets to keep the rebellion forces as regular troops afterwards too?

Perhaps I just need to roll out the mass driver bombard ships for the conquest of large pop worlds. I don't see any other way as the number of troops required to subdue a large pop world rebellion is only realistic of later game stages where the game has already been won.

< Message edited by Sithuk -- 10/29/2011 9:11:50 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/29/2011 9:23:48 AM   
YourConscience

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: YourConscience

Actually it was him who got bombed.

Exactly what I was talking about. You know, he started bombing rebels. And quicker than he thought he was considered a threat to civilians and got bombed by bigger (or smarter) bombs.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: Rebellions post invasion of large world - 10/29/2011 11:06:36 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

quote:

Setting taxes to 0 should be done the moment you conquer during war.

Bingeling: Quite right, most players I suspect do this as a matter of course. Low taxes are unlikely to prevent a rebellion on a high pop world. As you rightly point out the "war with own species" modifier more than cancels out the low tax benefit.

I recognise there are pros and cons. I was wondering what the community's views were on whether the feature is an undesirable one or not. It can be a little frustrating to see a significantly large invasion force that took a long time to train and transport be more than matched by an instant rebellion.

I think it works quite fine as it is now, but it is really annoying to inherit the old owners tax rate when conquering a colony. The AI quite stupid when it comes to setting taxes...

In my experience.

Good colonies must be conquered, which usually requires a decent number of troops. Transporting all out immediately is a poor idea if the population is pissed (you can see if they are). Even if the rebels have 20-30 troops they are of limited strength, and your surviving conquest force should be able to put them down. I think DW has a decent defender bonus, right? And even if your decent size defensive force is outnumbered and losing, you have plenty time to ship in more defenders. Because I am sure there are other war targets/own colonies/full troop ships in the general vicinity of a war zone, right? Combat is not instant.

I have noticed that when a rebellion worries me, I often scramble for reinforcements only to notice that my defenders can hold their ground quite nice. Lateish in the game, 30 strength defenders (yours) versus 6 strength attackers or thereabouts.

Also, if you take control of a really cracking nice colony, it may be a decent time to make peace if the war causes a rebellion you can't control.

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 10/29/2011 11:27:51 AM >

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Rebellions post invasion of large world Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI