East Front Map

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Panama

East Front Map

Post by Panama »

Five months later. Ugh. I will be sooo glad when this is done. 10km per hex.

Attachments
semappaint.jpg
semappaint.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 347 times
samba_liten

RE: East Front Map

Post by samba_liten »

I know that feeling!

Nice work though. Looks great!
السلام عليكم
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

It really does look well made. The terrain, particularly in the North, looks much more appropriately severe than in earlier works I've seen.

I'm curious about the technique, though. This is the second half-finished map I've seen posted like this, where the map maker fully completes each hex before moving to the next. My practice has always been to do a specific tile over the entire map before moving on to the next tile. So, I do all the coastline first, then all the cities, then all the rivers, etc. I just find it easier - but it may be six of one, half-a-dozen of another. I wonder what the breakdown of the whole map-making community would be on that?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

[&o] You're insane.. but i like that! When that thing is done and you're back from convalescent care.. what are your plans with it? You didn't want to use the FitE map, which is also at 10 km per hex - why?
Panama

Post by Panama »

Plans? Some East Front scenarios and/or the whole campaign. Yeah, it's been done. But not like I want to see it. I thought about the FitE map and editing some stuff on it but decided to take my own advice. If you don't like it then do it yourself.

I'm using the Army Map Service set from the U of Texas site. Over 240 separate topo maps stitched together using Paint Shop Pro into 22 or so separate sections grided and marked using MS Paint and putdown in the editor. Vast majority Red Army wartime with some German thrown in compiled by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in 1950 and 1951. Or something like that. At least that's what it says on the maps. Been doing research and gathering 'stuff' for a couple years now. Should be done with it in the spring. Just not sure which year.
USXpat

Post by USXpat »

Very nice - great detail and sounds like you went through hell and high water to get the maps and resources set up. An enormous amount of work!
Panama

Post by Panama »

Thanks guys.

The OOB should be lots of fun too. [8|]

BTW, my sincere and lasting thanks to Curt Chambers, maker of Opart Design and Debug Utility (ODD). This would have been near impossible without that great program. [&o][&o][&o]
Panama

Post by Panama »

Section NM38. Don Great Bend and Stalingrad. Grid applied. Ready for terrain features to be drawn.

Attachments
nm38grid10.jpg
nm38grid10.jpg (210.09 KiB) Viewed 313 times
tigersqn

Post by tigersqn »

Damn!! I think I just drooled all over my computer.
Lady Astor: You sir, are a drunk
Winston Churchill: And you madam are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober
ogar

Post by ogar »

It really does look very good. And that's looking at these tiny images, not at the huge monster you've built. Congratulations. All that effort has turned out very well.

Good luck with OOB research.

I truly hope you have backed this baby up, and tested recovering from back-up.
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

Looks good.

I'm sure you already know this, but the NM38 map you posted shows a widened Don, the Tsimlyansk Reservoir. The dam forming the reservoir wasn't completed until 1952 though.
Stefan O. Kristensen
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

BTW, if you haven't completed that section SW of Leningrad because you lack this particular area, I can send a scan of German maps.
Stefan O. Kristensen
Panama

Post by Panama »

Any post war res. is filled with hashmarks so the original terrain is still visible. The area around Oranienbaum shouldn't be a problem. I can use any topo map to fill that in. But thanks for the offer.
Panama

Post by Panama »

About the Dnepr at Kanev. I'm believe there was a railroad bridge there during the war. And in real life a RR bridge can be used as a road bridge. Just not in TOAW for some reason.

In any event, I've seen people place a road bridge there. However, I've seen maps where a road bridge would appear to be and maps where a road bridge is not there, but a ferry. So I'm kind of confused as to whether or not there really was a road bridge at Kanev or if it was merely a ferry and later a pontoon bridge was placed. If a ferry/pontoon bridge then the player would be forced to leave an engineer unit there to continue to move supplies and units across at that point on the Dnepr.

Does anyone have definative information for a permanent road bridge spanning the Dnepr at Kanev?
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

GoranW over at the War in the East forum might be able to help you. He's some kind of living Heeres-Kartenamt. :)
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

GoranW over at the War in the East forum might be able to help you. He's some kind of living Heeres-Kartenamt. :)

Ok. Thanks.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Excellent work, Panama!

You are probably aware of the Eastern European topo maps online from the tu library in Austin:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/eastern_europe/

1:250,000 topo, forests, roads, villages, RR etc.
From 1935-40 topo maps of the General Staff, Red Army, revised 1944-45 from aerial photos, printed in English 1947 by the US Army Corps of Engineers.
For example, the Dnepr bend at Kiev is still undamed, as is the Dnepr at Dneprodzherzhinsk.

Looking forward to downloading your "final edition" (quotations since these are never finished.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Mr. Panama, anything new from the map room? How's it going?
Panama

Post by Panama »

So far

Attachments
EastFront.jpg
EastFront.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 311 times
l0ww

Post by l0ww »

Oh my goodness, It just looks gorgeous. Great work, Panama.

Return to “Scenario Design”