Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Elsenborn Experiment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> The Elsenborn Experiment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Elsenborn Experiment - 10/23/2011 9:34:52 PM   
Genghis Khan

Howdy Folks:
I'll start with the preface that I am a relative Noob to the game and still learning the mechanics and nuances of the system.

I originally played the Elsenborn Ridge scenario from the American side and did quite well, or so I thought, scoring a 87/18 decisive victory.
I then went on to try it from the German side, but this time I thought I'd only give orders at the Division level and let the AI take care of the details.
The end result is that the AI was sent home to work kitchen duty, although I lobbied hard to have it put up against the wall with a cigarette and a blindfold.
To be fair, I have to shoulder some of the blame (well probably most of it), like an attack from Honsfeld to Bullingen with Kampfgruppe Peiper that went horribly
wrong because I wasn't specific enough with the route to be taken: all those beautiful Panzer V's and King Tiger's headed in every direction but the one I wanted,
it was enough to make me cry. It was a major blunder on my part that really cost me the game, but I wouldn't intervene because I wanted to see if
the AI would recover the situation; it never did (the actual assault took place with a Battalion HQ, a Panzer IV Comp, an Engineering Comp and an Artillery Rgmt)
and the rest is history. What I've learned from this is that I'm better off managing at the Battalion level, I've got a lot more to learn, don't put too much faith in
the AI and when everything is SNAFU it's the AI's fault.
Post #: 1
RE: The Elsenborn Experiment - 10/24/2011 4:21:25 AM   
wodin

Well the highest I normaly do is brigade in the very big scenarios and even then it's not often, my main one though is battalion or regiment. You also have to take charge of individual units at times.

I The patch comes out this week hopefulyl so I suggest you wait for it as it looks like it's going to solve the main gripes with the game.

One last thing the Tutorial videos are a must watch.

(in reply to Genghis Khan)
Post #: 2
RE: The Elsenborn Experiment - 10/24/2011 5:25:00 AM   
Genghis Khan

No gripes really, I'm mean we're not going to get any "Jeopardy playing Class" AI's for a PC anytime in the near future and the one by Panther is way beyond anything
I've seen to date. I reloaded an "AutoSaved" game a couple of days ago and damned if the AI didn't fork off in a totally different direction when I started to play
again -- Now that's a good AI opponent! One of the reasons I played "Elsenborn Ridge" that way, Division level Commands, was so I could observe it's play and what became apparent as
a weakness in the AI's play is being addressed in the upcoming patch, so why bother bringing it up. There are a few other things I noted, but at this point it could
just as easily be my level of ignorance and inexperience as anything else. I look forward to the next patch level only because it's an improvement and not because I'm
bored with the existing one. The day the computer AI's become as good, or better then a human opponent, I'll probably quit playing because I can't win anymore.

< Message edited by Genghis Khan -- 10/24/2011 5:52:08 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: The Elsenborn Experiment - 10/27/2011 12:34:43 AM   
simovitch

My own style - battalion level attacks, but also very frequently breaking off a single company for opportunity tasks... like assaulting a single, stubborn company position in the movement path of the parent battalion. I feel that you have to use these specialty assault units for pinpoint tasks if you want any chance of getting that major victory.

I will also use small 2 or 3 unit combined arms groups for special tasks - remember you don't need an HQ unit to lead a group of units. just attach or rope them together and use the 'blue line' or OOB structure to see who to give the orders to.

Something about the terrain and road network of the Ardennes that does not lend itself to commanding above battalion level.

simovitch

(in reply to Genghis Khan)
Post #: 4
RE: The Elsenborn Experiment - 12/25/2011 4:06:12 PM   
Skyhigh

As I have become qute obsessed with Elsenborn plzying as axis, I have done a few battles and will post a few AARs on them shortly.
Seems like it's close to impossible to win it - I can manage a draw but that's about it.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: The Elsenborn Experiment - 12/27/2011 8:30:38 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyhigh

As I have become qute obsessed with Elsenborn plzying as axis, I have done a few battles and will post a few AARs on them shortly.
Seems like it's close to impossible to win it - I can manage a draw but that's about it.

Would be very interested in reading that AAR. I've been playing that scenario for three days with either side, and it poses quite a few interesting operational problems (or puzzles) to solve.

(in reply to Skyhigh)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> The Elsenborn Experiment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI