Shattered Sword

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

Shattered Sword

Post by Chickenboy »

Just wanted to say thanks to the many individuals that recommended this book.

I brought it with me on our family vacation and am about 2/3 through it. It's very nicely done and provides nicely researched and footnoted explanations about why things happened as they did at Midway. The author even manages to build suspense on a subject that's been analyzed and summarized to death by others.

Anyways, great book. Thanks to those that recommended it. What's next?
dr.hal

RE: Shattered Sword

Post by dr.hal »

I fully agree with you chickenboy, I'm about at the same point in the book and it is amazing that I find myself trying to WILL the Japanese players to do something different, to shake them out of their destiny. But alas, it doesn't work, three out of the four carriers are hit and burning... as will be the forth soon... Hal
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Yes, the book definitely shows the differences between IJN and USN carrier operations. Excellent read and a must for any naval air historian.
Capt. Cliff
MateDow

Post by MateDow »

If you liked Shattered Sword, Tully's book on the Battle of Surigao Strait is good.

There are some questions about whether he used to many Japanese sources, but I liked the time/space analysis portion where he breaks down why he thinks that happened and in what order. Similar to that with the Shattered Sword.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I wish that the same level of detail could be applied to Coral Sea and the CV Battles around Guadalcanal.

EDIT: This is what I get for typing too fast.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I was the same level of detail could be applied to Coral Sea and the CV Battles around Guadalcanal.
Warspite1

I assume you meant wish not was; if so then amen to that. The whole Guadalcanal campaign is worthy of the full Parshall and Tully treatment; who did what?, when?, why? A comprehensive, look at what options the commanders of each side had, what limitations they worked under etc

I cannot find a book that comes even close - a real shame for such a worthy subject.

P.S I may have said this once or twice before [:D] but Shattered Sword is a stonking book - written the way every WWII book should be written.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

P.S I may have said this once or twice before [:D] but Shattered Sword is a stonking book - written the way every WWII book should be written.

You may have said it, but we have no idea what 'stonking' meant then or now. [:'(]
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

Wow wierd timing - I also bought the book a few weeks ago based on forum comments and just finished it about 30 minutes ago. Awesome book! Thanks all.
spence

Post by spence »

I found "Shattered Sword" the most illuminating book on carrier operations I have ever read. And yes, the writing is so good that the story does indeed build towards a suspenseful climax that I already knew but somehow remained suspenseful. But then again maybe it just builds to a climax that was inevitable once the KB was committed to such a terrible plan. It almost seems so.

Quite some years ago I read a book called "Decision at Sea: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal" (I think) by Eric Hammel which seemed to do a similar job recounting those 3 days in November 1942 that finally spelled doom for Imperial Japan's hopes for victory on that island. I also read "Starvation Island" by the same author that covered the Guadalcanal Battle more from the Marines' point of view but also dealt with the battles of Savo Island and Cape Esperance. I enjoyed reading that one too but not quite so much as "Decision". There was a third book to what turns out to be a trilogy: "Guadalcanal: The Carrier Battles" (I think); which I never got around to buying and reading. Needless to say the topic seems to be just what some here are calling for....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You may have said it, but we have no idea what 'stonking' meant then or now. [:'(]
Warspite1

In which case, allow me to enlighten you old boy [;)]:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stonking

ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Three times I have paid homage to Shattered Sword. Best book on the Pacific War I have ever read.

I like the part where he describes time restraints on flight preperations but assures the reader that the "exciting part" is just around the corner! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Miller

Post by Miller »

An interesting "what if" scenario it mentions is if the IJN had pulled their finger out and got Zuikaku into the action with an airgroup (it reckons) of 25F, 17DB and 14TB, would the overall result have been any different?

I predict it would have a 2:1 loss for the Japs, with maybe one more badly damaged on each side..........
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Miller

An interesting "what if" scenario it mentions is if the IJN had pulled their finger out and got Zuikaku into the action with an airgroup (it reckons) of 25F, 17DB and 14TB, would the overall result have been any different?

I predict it would have a 2:1 loss for the Japs, with maybe one more badly damaged on each side..........

Interesting what if, Miller. I'll do you one further: what if Hosho and Junyo had not been detailed to the Aleutians sidelight, but had (also) been attached to the other 5 (including Zuikaku) carriers?
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Miller

Interesting what if, Miller. I'll do you one further: what if Hosho and Junyo had not been detailed to the Aleutians sidelight, but had (also) been attached to the other 5 (including Zuikaku) carriers?

I think they were considered too slow to include and their airgroups were under strength, Junyo had 18F and 15DB whilst Hosho only 8 old biplane TB. Zuiho and Ryujo would have been better bets, 24F and 30TB between them and fast enough to keep up with the KB.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: spence

I found "Shattered Sword" the most illuminating book on carrier operations I have ever read. And yes, the writing is so good that the story does indeed build towards a suspenseful climax that I already knew but somehow remained suspenseful. But then again maybe it just builds to a climax that was inevitable once the KB was committed to such a terrible plan. It almost seems so.

Quite some years ago I read a book called "Decision at Sea: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal" (I think) by Eric Hammel which seemed to do a similar job recounting those 3 days in November 1942 that finally spelled doom for Imperial Japan's hopes for victory on that island. I also read "Starvation Island" by the same author that covered the Guadalcanal Battle more from the Marines' point of view but also dealt with the battles of Savo Island and Cape Esperance. I enjoyed reading that one too but not quite so much as "Decision". There was a third book to what turns out to be a trilogy: "Guadalcanal: The Carrier Battles" (I think); which I never got around to buying and reading. Needless to say the topic seems to be just what some here are calling for....

Hammel's books are EXCELLENT but it still doesn't have the freshness that Shattered brought with it.

zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

[/quote]
In which case, allow me to enlighten you old boy :
I can't wait to use my new word!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

In which case, allow me to enlighten you old boy :
I can't wait to use my new word!

[/quote] Warspite1

Word Up [8D]

Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I was the same level of detail could be applied to Coral Sea and the CV Battles around Guadalcanal.
Warspite1

I assume you meant wish not was; if so then amen to that. The whole Guadalcanal campaign is worthy of the full Parshall and Tully treatment; who did what?, when?, why? A comprehensive, look at what options the commanders of each side had, what limitations they worked under etc

I cannot find a book that comes even close - a real shame for such a worthy subject.

Black-Shoe Carrier Admiral by Lundstrom is a good try for the American side on the period.

Unfortunately, no one has translated into English the volumes of the official Japanese history of the war except for the part about New Guinea (you can get this for free on the Australian War Memorial website). There are 125 or so volumes with a wealth of detail, maps, etc. This would be quite a task but well worth it for a better view 'from the other side of the hill'....
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I have the 15 Volumes of Morrision and would gladly invest in the translated Japanese History! Would be something to read.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I fully agree with you chickenboy, I'm about at the same point in the book and it is amazing that I find myself trying to WILL the Japanese players to do something different, to shake them out of their destiny. But alas, it doesn't work, three out of the four carriers are hit and burning... as will be the forth soon... Hal
Warspite1

I know what you mean. I find reading about the Japanese naval battles in WWII really makes me angry. NOT because I want a different outcome (before anyone accuses me of going down that route), but partly because of the ridiculous, overly complex plans, that relied upon the enemy doing exactly what the Japanese said they would do, but more importantly the sacrificing of men and ships thanks to their seeming fascination with decoys! I have just read about the loss of Ryujo. Utterly, utterly pointless

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”