Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you recover a PBEM turn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do you recover a PBEM turn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 4:36:43 AM   
MPHopcroft

I just finished my second turn in a Two Weeks in NOrmandy game (as the German -- I guess I'm being punished for past misdeeds....) and ran into a problem saving my file. My opponent had used a compound filename for his save that ended in "2a.pbm.pbl" IT worked for him -- the extension was correct and I was able to load the turn. When it came time for me to save my turn, however, the resulting file had a .pbm extension, and trying to add the .pbl extension hasn't worked.

I'm sure the data is all there -- the file is the right size -- but I can't get it to open. My Win7 computer thinks it's a graphic and I can't seem to convince it otherwise or change the functional extension.

I'm running Win7 Professional and TOAW 3.4.

Anyone know what I can do here?

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.
Post #: 1
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 6:56:56 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Kamerad,

the .PBM extension is from the PBEM Helper program. Send me the file *I gor the prg* and I'll save it as pure .PBL.

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to MPHopcroft)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 3:51:35 PM   
MPHopcroft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Kamerad,

the .PBM extension is from the PBEM Helper program. Send me the file *I gor the prg* and I'll save it as pure .PBL.

Klink, Oberst

PBEM Helper Program? Is that an integral part of TOAW? I don't see the .pbm subextension when I save a turn.

Message me privately if you really want to see the file.

I've already replayed the turn and saved it with the scenario default turn name, but that could porove a problem in the unlikley event that I run two games with the same scenario. Which is presumably what a PBEM Helper app would help with.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 6:08:48 PM   
ogar

I wonder if the problem is trying to 'save' a pbl as such ? If Klink has a resolution, terrific.

Here's another way -- a bit more fuss to set up, but works for.
In my saves folder, I build a folder for an active game, and if there are ongoing active PBEM and PO games, I have a folder labelled PO and one for PBEM.
And in each of them, there is a folder for each game, labelled by scenario,and player (or date if it's against the PO), and side.
So inside my Anzio 1KM folder, I'll have a Anzio_17Jul10_Axis folder for a PO game started last July where I am playing as the German, and in the PBEM folder there's a Anzio_Telumar_Allies folder.
Inside the PBEM folder, there's
Incoming
Outgoing
Sal
Sitrep
folders. Incoming and Outgoing only have the pbl's, and I label those in the manner
Scenario_Side_Turn --- Anzio_Allies_T17. If I were to have multiple PBEMs with the same scenario at the same time, I'd throw a start date or other identifier after the Anzio tag to differentiate things.

Inside Sal there are my sals after I open an Incoming pbl. And I usually have 3 or 4 sals per turn -- I get interrupted, and even when I am not interrupted, I get confused and need to walk away and start drinking. (coffee,usually)
So Sal has Anzio_Allies_T17A(B,C,...) and when I return, I start up a saved game (just like against the PO) using the A or B or whatever is the latest sal. (Note, saving to a sal will shut down TOAW just as efficiently as finishing a turn.)

When I do finish a turn, and TOAW prompts me to save the pbl, I just navigate to the Outgoing folder, and label the finished turn as above. Later I get to attach it, email, etc.

Here I insert a VERY LARGE THANK YOU to all the old-timers who shared thoughts on saving and labelling turns in threads here and over at GS. Thanks, gents -- it's saved me many headaches.

Back to the organizing,
I usually scoop the sitreps out of the main folder whenever - just as a clean-up. Usually, I'll review a text sitrep when I get a new pbl. Notes to myself, jpegs, other junk just gets dumped in the game folder (Anzio_Telumar_Allies). Oh, and the EOT save will get saved to Outgoing automatically -- I just clean those up whenever.

This has worked for me -- as I said, my headaches come from my mistakes playing the game. If you want some illustrations, email me. HTH.

(in reply to MPHopcroft)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do you recover a PBEM turn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI