Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release date
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you recover a PBEM turn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do you recover a PBEM turn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 4:36:43 AM   
MPHopcroft

I just finished my second turn in a Two Weeks in NOrmandy game (as the German -- I guess I'm being punished for past misdeeds....) and ran into a problem saving my file. My opponent had used a compound filename for his save that ended in "2a.pbm.pbl" IT worked for him -- the extension was correct and I was able to load the turn. When it came time for me to save my turn, however, the resulting file had a .pbm extension, and trying to add the .pbl extension hasn't worked.

I'm sure the data is all there -- the file is the right size -- but I can't get it to open. My Win7 computer thinks it's a graphic and I can't seem to convince it otherwise or change the functional extension.

I'm running Win7 Professional and TOAW 3.4.

Anyone know what I can do here?

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.
Post #: 1
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 6:56:56 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Kamerad,

the .PBM extension is from the PBEM Helper program. Send me the file *I gor the prg* and I'll save it as pure .PBL.

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to MPHopcroft)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 3:51:35 PM   
MPHopcroft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Kamerad,

the .PBM extension is from the PBEM Helper program. Send me the file *I gor the prg* and I'll save it as pure .PBL.

Klink, Oberst

PBEM Helper Program? Is that an integral part of TOAW? I don't see the .pbm subextension when I save a turn.

Message me privately if you really want to see the file.

I've already replayed the turn and saved it with the scenario default turn name, but that could porove a problem in the unlikley event that I run two games with the same scenario. Which is presumably what a PBEM Helper app would help with.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you recover a PBEM turn? - 10/22/2011 6:08:48 PM   
ogar

I wonder if the problem is trying to 'save' a pbl as such ? If Klink has a resolution, terrific.

Here's another way -- a bit more fuss to set up, but works for.
In my saves folder, I build a folder for an active game, and if there are ongoing active PBEM and PO games, I have a folder labelled PO and one for PBEM.
And in each of them, there is a folder for each game, labelled by scenario,and player (or date if it's against the PO), and side.
So inside my Anzio 1KM folder, I'll have a Anzio_17Jul10_Axis folder for a PO game started last July where I am playing as the German, and in the PBEM folder there's a Anzio_Telumar_Allies folder.
Inside the PBEM folder, there's
Incoming
Outgoing
Sal
Sitrep
folders. Incoming and Outgoing only have the pbl's, and I label those in the manner
Scenario_Side_Turn --- Anzio_Allies_T17. If I were to have multiple PBEMs with the same scenario at the same time, I'd throw a start date or other identifier after the Anzio tag to differentiate things.

Inside Sal there are my sals after I open an Incoming pbl. And I usually have 3 or 4 sals per turn -- I get interrupted, and even when I am not interrupted, I get confused and need to walk away and start drinking. (coffee,usually)
So Sal has Anzio_Allies_T17A(B,C,...) and when I return, I start up a saved game (just like against the PO) using the A or B or whatever is the latest sal. (Note, saving to a sal will shut down TOAW just as efficiently as finishing a turn.)

When I do finish a turn, and TOAW prompts me to save the pbl, I just navigate to the Outgoing folder, and label the finished turn as above. Later I get to attach it, email, etc.

Here I insert a VERY LARGE THANK YOU to all the old-timers who shared thoughts on saving and labelling turns in threads here and over at GS. Thanks, gents -- it's saved me many headaches.

Back to the organizing,
I usually scoop the sitreps out of the main folder whenever - just as a clean-up. Usually, I'll review a text sitrep when I get a new pbl. Notes to myself, jpegs, other junk just gets dumped in the game folder (Anzio_Telumar_Allies). Oh, and the EOT save will get saved to Outgoing automatically -- I just clean those up whenever.

This has worked for me -- as I said, my headaches come from my mistakes playing the game. If you want some illustrations, email me. HTH.

(in reply to MPHopcroft)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do you recover a PBEM turn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI