Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle Off Carnarvon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle Off Carnarvon Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle Off Carnarvon - 4/27/2012 11:19:49 PM   
vettim89

Situation 29 January.

IJN carriers north of Luganville strike at unloading transports. One non-pentrating bomb hit on CA Indianapolis was the only damage. I had let the game started with realistic R&D off I have Judys and A6M5s present. This will definitely make the game more interesting. Larry better be careful here. If he drifts too far south, his carriers may reacto to mine. If he gets too close there are nearly 100 strike a/c based at EPI, Efate, and Eramango that might come into play. My carriers are set to follow the transports so they will not react. I expect Larry to pull back. With one CV already damged and the last turns results, I suspect he is not in the mood for a CV vs CV+LBA battle right now. We shall see

Attachment (1)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 301
RE: Battle Off Carnarvon - 4/28/2012 1:48:27 AM   
vettim89

30 January 1943

IJN CVTF witdraws to the NW (avoiding my subs). LBA at long range puts 6 500 lb bombs into Yamato and 2 into a CL. There are two SCTF steaming South from Lunga. All unloading is halted and AMPH TF pulled back to Epi. Aircraft losses were 25 A6M3a and 15 Nells offset by 5 F4F-4, 1 F4U, and 1 P-40E. IJNAF losses have been pretty bad these last few days.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 302
RE: Battle Off Carnarvon - 5/3/2012 3:51:22 AM   
vettim89

31 January - 11 February 1943

The Allies keep moving up through the New Hebrides. Lakatoro is now a level 5 AB with about 100 fighters there. Pentecost Island goes to level 2 AB with about 50 fighters there.

Larry has tried a couple of CV forays when he detects my Amph TFs moving up. Up to now PatrolA/C have detected them well off and I have pulled back without engaging. He parks his Cvs at range 8 from Lakatoro to try to get some TB attacks in without fear of reprisal. So far he has hit nothing and lost a lot of a/c. My LBA did try to hit the IJN this turn but achieved no hits for the lost of 17 F4F-4, 9 SBD-3, and 5 TBF.

Bu that is not the real news. SS Whale puts a fish into Akagi and then for good measure slaps one into Soryu. She is heading back to Noumea with moderate damage. No carriers sunk for sure but this means a long trip back to Japan to fix the flood damage for one if not both IJN CVs. With two Cvs possibly out of action and a RN CV due in a few days, I may challenge the IJN next time the wander down this way

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 303
Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/6/2012 2:21:37 AM   
vettim89

12 - 18 February 1943

Our game has fallen into a series of pulses. I send convoys up to the bases in the Central New Hebrides and invariably the IJN CVTF appear within a day or two to try to intervene. As I mentioned before, Larry has taken to positioning his carriers at max range to avoid counter attack. On the 18th we were at this point but the results were different this time. One important note is that my opponent had his TB set to "use bombs" which seriously mitigated the damage the did.

The turn started with my TF at Aoba Island unloading a RCT and CBs. This is the last base I intend to build up before retaking Luganville. I had a CVTF with Enterprise, Lex, and Sara one hex SSE of Aoba. In addition there was a CVE TF in the same hex with three CVE. The IJN CVTF started two hexes SSW of Ndeni.

The turn starts with the IJNAF strikingthe TFs at Aoba.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 15
D4Y1 Judy x 25

Allied aircraft
P-38F Lightning x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 12
P-40K Warhawk x 3
F4F-4 Wildcat x 30
F4U-1 Corsair x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 8 destroyed
D4Y1 Judy: 8 destroyed, 9 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CA Northampton, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Hunter Liggett, Bomb hits 1
DD Laffey
AP McCawley, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Then they went after my CVE

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 46
B5N2 Kate x 33
D4Y1 Judy x 11

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 3
P-38F Lightning x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 3
P-40K Warhawk x 3
F4F-4 Wildcat x 112
F4U-1 Corsair x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 10 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 11 destroyed, 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CVE Chenango
CVE Sangamon
CVE Suwannee
CLAA San Diego

Then a second strike on the Aoba TFs (no hits)

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 8
B5N2 Kate x 7
D3A1 Val x 13

Allied aircraft
P-38F Lightning x 3
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 7
P-40K Warhawk x 1
F4F-4 Wildcat x 32
F4U-1 Corsair x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 2 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 5 destroyed
D3A1 Val: 7 destroyed

My CAGs counter attack at long range and strike blood (all hits were 500 lb bombs)

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 65

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 20
TBF-1 Avenger x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 7 destroyed
TBF-1 Avenger: 12 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
CV Zuikaku
BB Kongo
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 4, on fire

Both sides CVTF react for the PM phase. Japan strikes first (minor damage to US CVs)

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 38
B5N2 Kate x 43
D4Y1 Judy x 40

Allied aircraft
P-38F Lightning x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 5
P-40K Warhawk x 9
F4F-4 Wildcat x 87

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 11 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 10 destroyed, 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed, 12 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 8 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CV Lexington
BB Indiana
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 2
BB South Dakota, Bomb hits 5, on fire
CA Portland

MY CAG conterstrike (Figure seeing the raid start with 90 SBDs coming his way put a spot in Larry's seat). This could have been much worse for the IJN if more bombers had concentrated on the CVs

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 36

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 30
SBD-3 Dauntless x 90
TBF-1 Avenger x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 7 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 destroyed, 8 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak
TBF-1 Avenger: 6 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
CLAA Tenryu, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Kongo, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Kazegumo
BB Haruna
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CV Zuikaku
CV Kaga, Torpedo hits 1
CV Shokaku
DD Isokaze, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Tamanami

and another Strike

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 34

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 18
TBF-1 Avenger x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed, 14 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CV Shokaku
BB Haruna

and another

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
TBF-1 Avenger x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage (Ammo explosion!!!)
CV Zuikaku

I figure Soryu and Hiryu and goners although FOW has not credited either with being sunk. Interestingly Kaga is listed as sunk. That said, there were no ground losses of A/C this turn; so I don't beleive she is sunk. I do beleive she will need a couple months of yard time.

All in all not a bad days work. My A/C losses were 50 F4F-4 (ouch) but less than 20 SBD and TBF losses combined

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 304
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/6/2012 2:28:10 AM   
vettim89

A/C loss for the day

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 305
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/6/2012 2:31:44 AM   
vettim89

19 February 1943

My opponent commented that he expected me to give chase. Having already snatched defeat from the jaws of victory once, I opted to witdraw. Good thing as he loaded up Gaudalcanal with Nells. Didn't go well for them. No Allied ships hit for all the carnage. One thing that is throughing me is seeing almost exclusively Nells in all these long range TB attacks. Where are his Betties. Shouldn't he be fuly upgrade to at least G4M1s by now?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 5/6/2012 2:32:17 AM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 306
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/7/2012 4:10:36 AM   
vettim89

20-23 February 1943

Larry sent some CVE/CVL to raid NW Oz. I lost a DD, a TK, and an AM. He lost a bunch of a/c. They are still lingering out there just outside of my attack a/c range.

IJN has pulled back from the Southern Solomons and Santa Cruz Islands. That said, CV Kaga took her thrid TT in a week just NE of Bouganville. Could this mean curtains for her? She was smoking before the TT hit. here's hoping

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 307
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/27/2012 3:15:05 PM   
vettim89

24 February-8 April 1943

Yes, the game has progressed forward by a month and a half. I have not posted as very little has gone on in the game during this period that was "post worthy". I will update by theater.

Burma

The Allies and IJA continue to face off at Myitkyina. Both sides have about 900 AS. Larry uses artillery bombardments daily and I respond by pounding him from the air. I have changed my focus in this theater although the oncoming Monsson Season will temper anything I attempt. I had planned on moving from Cox's Bazaar down to Akyab and then forward into Burma from there. With so much combat power forward deployed at Myikyina, I decided on a different course. I have moved down to and built up Imphal to max AB size to allow the supplies to flow. I have just moved a small force down to the base just across the Burmese border south of there (begins with a "K"). I will build that base up and then strike south from there when the Monsoon breaks. Once Larry detects this move, he will likely withdraw from Myitkyina or face having the units cut off from supply. This will allow my force to move forward from that point to link up at Schwebo. The air war is stagnant here as the IJAAF has over 200 Ki-44s at Magwe, Mandalay. My P-40s and Hurricane IIc cannot stand up to them without suffereing crippling losses. All P-38s have been dedicated to the SoPac; however, all P-47s will be allocated to this theater when they arrive. So while no offensive action is planned in this theater soon, preparations are being made for a Fall offensive.

China

When I last posted, the IJA had invested Changsha with 25+ units. This large stack withdrew in late February and is now at Ichang. Two attacks have been pretty devasting to the IJA. The last one came off at 2 to 1 to reduce forts to 4 but cost the IJA over 1200 disabled squads. A second offensive is ongoing in southern China but is much smaller. At the moment this force is being held off in the wooded hex just West of Liuchiu (Sp??) Supplies are woefully short here as most of my airlift has been supplying Myitkiyina. I am moving a stack into Nanying and another into North Central China. These are merely spoiling attacks to try to relieve the pressure on Ichang. That said, nearly all the combat power in China seems to be focused on Ichang with over 6k raw AS and and at least four more units moving into the hex.

SWPAC

The Australian Army retook Exmouth rather easily as the defending troops were without supply. A large force is now moving overland to retake Port Hedland. The Engineers have moved up and first expanding Coen and now have Portland Roads fully developed (level 8 AB) At present, that is it for now as assault shipping is dedicated to SoPac. Units are prepping for Milne Bay and nearby bases. I intend to isolate PM rather than retake it. While having that big base would be nice, I do not think I want to slow down my move forward momentum by the amount of time it would take to free it up. Once isolated, it can be dealt with by LBA.

SoPac

After the carrier battle which say two IJN CVs sunk (confirmed by my opponent), both sides pulled back. I have been using interlocking ABs to cover a slow but steady advance up through the New Hebrides. Luganville was retaken a few weeks ago and the AB and Port are being built up. All the AB south of Epiritu Santos are at max SPS build. I have occupied and am building the base two hexes North of Luganville (Viti Lavai or something like that) Plan here is simple: continue to hop up the chain towards Ndeni. Once that base is taken, I will move West into the Solomons. I should have Essex and a few CVLs by that point plus Hellcats.

NoPac

Adak Island is well tenderized but I lack assault shipping to move on it. I have three RCTs fully prepped and ready to go at Seattle. All newly arriving assualt shipping is being diverted to WCUSA but it will take a while. I am considering using a combined force of APA/LCI/LST with a goodly number of xAPs to take the base. I know unload will be long off the xAP but it would take a while for the IJN to respond if Larry decided to contest the landing. Also, the garrison at Adak has got to be about spent after months of aerial bombardment without resupply.

That is about it to get you up to speed. Now for what is happeningd now.

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 5/27/2012 3:21:33 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 308
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/27/2012 3:46:11 PM   
vettim89

9-10 April 1943

Well, one of the reasons I have posted so little is that my opponent has not been opposing my moves of late. With the exception of some largely ineffective Nell raids (still not seeing Betties), he has not opposed by moves in the New Hebrides. On the 8th, a fleet boat torpedoed and sank an AO due north of GC (a second fleet boat took out another AO on the 9th). That was enough to warn me that something was up. I pulled all shipping back from the New Hebrides (and there was a lot!) Also quite a bit of IJN shipping was spotted near Ndeni and the waters between there and GC. Initially I thought this was a resupply and reinforcement effort for Ndeni

9 April

The IJN carriers were spotted north of Ndeni. A fleet boat took a shot at Taiho but missed (he has Taiho already!!!???? Didn't think that was possible.) An AMPH TF was at Vanikora unloading and the base fell without a shot fired. LBA beat up the TF pretty badly with over 200 troops lost. A SCTF was obviously trying to sprint into Luganville but fell a hex short. My LBA pounded this TF with 3 CAs and a CL taking multiple 1000 lb hits. I am pretty sure at least one CA and the CL sank. The other two CAs have got to be hurting.

Combat report indicates the following IJN CV/CVL are present: Taiho, Zuikaku, Shokaku, Hiyo, Junyo, Shoho, Hosho, and Zuiho.

The IJNAF try to strike a few straggler TF near Aoba Island but do not get into position to attack. Air losses for the day included 25 A6M of various models and 30 Jill. I lost 3 F4F, a P-40K and one SBD

10 April

I sortied my carriers so they would patrol just SE of Luganville. My hope was that I could sucker the IJN CVTF to react into my LBA/CVTF trap. I have four CV plus three CVE. That said, my amassed LBA is equally to at least two more CVs. The IJN didn't take the bait but the carriers did launch at the TF off Vanikora. The eliminated the remaining xAP/xAK and destroyed over 900 troops. Question is now what will my opponent do? Will he strike South to get a shot at my carriers or will he pull back. Could get interesting in a hurry

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 309
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/27/2012 4:45:36 PM   
vettim89

11 April 1943

The IJN withdraws. A fleet boat puts two TT into CA Kagnuso which was already heavily damaged. She likely sank. FOW still pending but I think the toll for this little operation was two CA, one CL, two AO, two xAP, one xAK, one DD, and a couple of patrol craft. Allied losses were less than 10 a/c. The window of opportunity is closing for the IJN.

The IJA repeats its deliberate attack at Ichang which comes off at 1 to 99. An additional 50 squads are disabled. KMT continues to move towards Loyang and Nanchang. Only one unit is at Loyang and five at Nanchang.

SigInt has been giving me indications that at least one full ID is inbound to Haiphong. Perhaps the push in South China is about to become a little more worrisome

I am in the process of massing about 200 4E which will move to the New Hebrides to try to eliminate the AB at GC as a threat.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 310
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 5/28/2012 2:06:16 AM   
vettim89

12 April 1943

The IJN comes calling again at Exmouth. My RN TF did not aquit itself very well losing a BB and a CA. Only solace is that LBA put 2 TT, 14 1000 lb bombs and 2 500 lb bombs all into Mutsu during the day turn. While not likely fatal, this will put her into the yard for a while

Ichang falls. Nanyang (not Nanchang) is invested and I order a shock attack. Likely this will fail but a partion of the IJA at Ichang has turned around and is heading back. Additional troops about to exit the woods near Loyang where a single units is stationed. I just want to put some pressure o up here while my troops rebuild after Ichang.

The IJN CVTF have swung west and are lurking near Rennell Island. I think Larry is trying to lure me into a the same type of trap I just laid for him. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 311
RE: Battle of the New Hebrides - 6/2/2012 2:15:01 AM   
vettim89

13-20 April 1942

My attack at nanyang was rebuffed as a full ID was there. I thought I would just hang out here as I had a 3 to 1 edge in raw AS. However, the IJAAF was pounding the snot out of me so I withdrew. However, KMT arrived at Loyang and blew the 1/3 of an ID stationed there away. A stout force is almost to Chengchow. The large stack at Ichang fell to five units very quickly; so the IJA is trying to respond. I blocked the RR from Singyang to Chenchow so they will have to walk. If I take Chengchow, I will leave token forces in place and pull back to the woods East of Sian. No point in letting Larry beat up my units in the open. The operation did its job by stopping the IJA offensive at Ichang. Down at Liuchow, the IJA is pouring more units into the hex just West of the city. I am moving a moderate strengthed Corps into the hex to push my raw AS up to near equal.

The troops are nearing Port Hedland (23 miles through the last hex) but are woefully short of supply. I have a small AMPH TF at Exmouth that will run the gauntlet to try to get some supplies in via sea. IJN CVs have been unsighted for a few turns; so, quick in and out on this one.

I have occupied and am well through bulding up Torres Island. This is the last Allied controlled base in the New Hebrides. Next move will be to retake and/or occupy the Santa Cruz Islands. Two fo my three CVs have F6F-3s now. CV Essex will arrive in 30 days with three CVEs of the combat variety in tow. That will give me Five CVs and six CVE for a month before Victorious is recalled.

I moved every 4E in the SoPac to the central New Hebrides. In two turns I will hit Lunag with 216 big bombers. The base is packed with almost 200 a/c. There are 72 fighters; so it will be bloody. Hoping for a knock-out punch where I chase Japanese LBA from the Southern Solomons permanently.

TF loading at Seattle to take three RCT to Adak. Two of the three RGT are loaded on assault shipping with the third on xAPs.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 312
Rescued from page 3 - 6/27/2012 5:25:46 AM   
vettim89

21 April - 11 June 1943

Well, this game has largely been uneventful; ergo, no posts. Brief recaps:

CBI

The IJA has three large armies spread around China: one just south of Naning, one east of Changsha, and one spread out just east of Sian. The one near Sian is where the action as Larry has slipped some units behind my front line and then I did the same to him. There are three hexes where the IJA and KMT are facing off and the Chinese have superior base AV in all three hexes. Still some more units moving but I think this will turn into even more of a morass than Larry's last two attempts to penetrate the Chinese MLD

In Burma no action until Monsoon is over. Imphal is built to max AB SPS and is pulling supplies nicely. Kalemyo is trailing but building fast. I have five plus divisions of strength that will plunge South from Kalemyo as soon as Monsoon breaks heading for Shwebo. Central Burma is light defended with likely 50% or more of the IJA's combat power deployed at Myitkina. Those units will be cut off if they try to hold there. I have an Indian Para unit that may drop on Katha just to add to the panic.

SWPAC

Port Hedland is retaken and building to full strenght AB and Port. As soon as supplies build I will move overland to retake Broome and Derby. The rest of SWPAC is prepping for the islands east of PNG. The will move up to PNG proper but will bypass PM.

NoPac

Adak Island was retaken. It is being built up. Once that is accomplished, I will move on the two dot bases near Attu. The have AB SPS of 3 and 4. I intend to mount some harrassing raids on OJ and PJ from there. I am toying with the idea of a Kuriles based incursion when the time comes.

SoPac

Larry's aggressive use of SCTF and CVTF have really slowed things down here. My invasions/occupations only get a day to unload before the IJN reappears and then they skirt back south. That was until the last few turns which is why I am posting. Larry tried a CVTF raid likely trying to catch some of my convoys moving up to resupply and build up all the dot bases in the New Hebrides. That was about a week in game time prior to now. My LBA put 15 100 lb bombs into Yamato, Hiei and Kirishima for little effect (although the did set Yamato afire and knocked out a DP turret). The IJN lost about 40 a/c trying to sink PT boats (epic fail). So the entire IJN retreated north after this skirmish. I had the 37th ID combat loaded halmost to Noumea. I sent them to Luganville while my CV/CVE TF moved up to escort some addition AV support into Utupua (one hex from Ndeni). The IJN did not come back. SO I sent the 37th to utupua making it appear to be just another reinforcement convoy. Again, no IJN. So I sne them to Ndeni this turn. The entire Division unloaded in one turn (APAs for the WIN!!!!). Base will fall next turn and what I thought was going to be an operation that would cost me came off at almost no cost. Also I sunk two IJN subs in the last few turns. Larry made a faux curse at my timing but this was me taking advantage of an opening I did not anticipate.

CV Essex is 30 hexes east of Auckland. CVL Independence arrives in five days. APs are half-way to being upgrade to APAs. Pace will pick up now

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 313
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/1/2012 5:26:58 AM   
vettim89

12 -21 June 1943

Ndeni fell on the 12th. ENG and AV support being moved in now.

I repositioned my CVs and attack transports to move on the islands East of Milne Bay. CV Essex joined the group this turn. Just in time for a big show!

Crappy image but I was trying to get my CVTF and his CVTF on the same map. Just missed. So Larry is trying to sneak some supply into PM? Possibly this is an EVAC convoy also. My CVs are just off the image and will head north. If he continues on he will be trapped between NG and Oz with my CVs bearing down on him. It will take two days for my forces to be in position. By that point I suspect his CVTF should be off PM. I figure he is counting on the extra fighters from PM to protect his carriers. They might but he is sadly outnumbered here. I will have over 100 P-38Gs escorting nearly 100 LB bombers (including two sq of TT carrying Beauforts. Add in 144 SBD and 70 TBF ( one carrier is RN). I am also planning on moving 60 heavies to Townsville. The will hit PMs AB to dilute the fighter protection.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 314
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/1/2012 7:39:06 PM   
vettim89

22 June 1943

Sorry for the confused image. The cursor intell now says only a SCTF and a convoy heading to PM. So either I had bad intel last turn, bad intel this turn, or Larry only used his CVTF to get the convoy in range of PM's fighters. I miscalculated the transit time for my CVTF as I failed to consider the need to go around the reef. I am moving them up to just off Palm Island. The should be able to sprint to within six hexes of PM the following turn. Next turn will tell as far as the exact disposition of the IJN. If there is a TF hovering off PM I know there are carriers. If they are all at PM, they I know the CVs were either never there or they retired.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 315
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/2/2012 12:20:38 AM   
vettim89

23 June 1943

Not sure what is going on here. The IJN carriers reappeared just SE of Milne Bay; however, the other two TF disappeared. Think weather may be playing some tricks here. I reoriented some of my NavSearch. The US/RN carriers will move North and patrol in two hexes that are six hexes from PM. Not sure what next turn will bring. I receive quite a few CVs and CVLs over the next month. I figure now is a good chance to strike. Here's hoping

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 316
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/2/2012 3:46:30 AM   
vettim89

24 June 1943

Well my plan failed. Not a single bomber based at any of the Oz air bases participated. The battle took place one hex too far for th beuaforts to fly with TT. I should have known better as Larry never sends his carriers out without putting them, all in one hex. Either more showed up or cursor intel failed me. Known participants were Akagi, Shokaku, Zuikaku, Taiho, Junyo, Shoho, and Zuiho. Considerable LRCAP from PM and Buna also contributed.

Victorious took a bomb but she is about due for withdraw any way. Massachusettes took a TT for very minor damage. Zuiho took four bombs and a TT. She did not contribute fighters to the PM CAP. Harana took a bomb as did Shoho. That was it. Next image will show my attack groups were devasted. just too many fighters. Will take a while to rebuild them esp the DB.

This game just seems to be determined to make sure I can't win a carrier battle. Cannot help but wonder what a differnce the 150 4-E on counter air mission plus 100 or so LB bomber might have made here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 317
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/2/2012 3:47:11 AM   
vettim89

A/C losses - ugly

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 318
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/2/2012 6:44:34 AM   
vettim89

25 June 1943

Well the 4-Es hit PM hard today. Carnage ensued and the AB is 67% damaged. Woulda/shoulda/coulda if that raid had gone off yesterday as planned.

Considering the way things played out, I now think my "trap" was actually a trap by my opponent. I fell into it and my CAWs are decimated. Still I figure it cost him a CVL which doesn't suck.

Oh, an S-Boat picked off a CLAA off Milne Bay - Combat report says "Heavy Damage". I think she may have sunk

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 319
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/5/2012 1:28:46 PM   
vettim89

26-29 June 1943

My CVTF pulled back to Brisbane to rebuild. No as bad as it might be as the REPL groups pretty much filled out two of the four hardest hit SBD sq and all of the TBF sq. Upgraded one VB to SBC-2 and the rest will go to SBD-5. Airframes are not an issue, only pilots. I decided to shift focus back East and take the three islands surronding Guadalcanal next. I can support those landings with LRCAP by P-38s from the Santa Cruz Islands while my carrier forces get a little stouter. Three more combat CVEs are between Tahiti and Auckland. Once they arrive I will move. That will give my fresh pilots a chance to train a bit. It occured to me that I have reached carrier parity. Yes, Larry has more hulls, but my CVs carry on average 20 more a/c than his. So five USN CVs carry about 450 a/c while six IJN CVs carry about 420. Add in what will soon be seven CVE and I have the upper hand especially if I can get LBA involved. Note: my CV count includes the Yorktown II which arrives in a few days (She will head South with the first of two CVLS)

Up off the NW coast of Oz an IJN SCTF force is prowling. My a/c did not fly which is a shame as that force likely would have been hurt. I am rushing some SCTF into the area but I fear they will end up being a movement phase too late.

In China I took the hex between the two large forces East of Sian destroying an ENG RGT in the process. Now Larry's one stack is completely isolate. Trying to move Supplies into Sian but the are getting sucked up as fast as they arrive. I will post a screenie soon

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 7/5/2012 1:31:12 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 320
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/6/2012 5:29:03 PM   
vettim89

30 June - 1 July 1943

The IJN did not bombard PH on the 30th like I suspected; so I moved my attack a/c back into the base. They flew on the 1st. I realize that this is probably a reflection of a RL problem, but my Allied pilots have the worst case of "BB OCD". I have seen this from the get go with the RNAF attacking BBs in the Java Sea in early 1942 when there were plenty of nice fat troop convoys to be hit. This time I did have maybe five or six runs on the accompanying DD/CA (no hits), but everybody had "BB Fever". First none of the Beauforts hit which would have been nice. Our friend Yamashiro suffered possibly the greatest display of non-pentrating bomb hits in the history of the game. Her topsides are most certainly a wreck as I received many 25 mm AAA gun destroyed as well as plenty of secondary turrets eliminated.

Pending FOW, the final count was 17 1000 lb SAP hits and 30 500 lb GP bomb hits. I lost 3 Beauforts and 3 B-25D1. I didn't even get a heavy fire notice. Curiosity makes me wonder what a BB looks like after receiving 47 bomb hits?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 321
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/8/2012 4:47:36 AM   
vettim89

2-5 July 1943

USAAF heavies hit PM on the 4th and shut the base down. Buna still has about 40 fighters present with 17% damage. As you can see, the IJN carriers are at sea again. Surely Larry does not think I will fall for the same trick again. Even if he did, with PM out of action and Buna damaged, he could hope for similar results. I am wondering if he may just be trying to get some supplies into Buna.

My CVE TF is about 4 days from Auckland. The I will move on the Southern Solomons

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 322
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/8/2012 8:14:01 AM   
JocMeister

Just cought up with your AAR. Well written and easy to read! Thank you

You mentioned this is your fourth PBEM? How would you say DBB differs from the stock game and are you playing with the stacking limits? I have been eyeing DBB for quite some time now since I have some issues with how the stock game handles some things (non existant AA is one). I actually installed the extended map yesterday and it looks stunning!

I´m about 7 months behind you in my stock PBEM and one difference really stands out and that is the CV battles. We have had two so far and they have been very bloody while yours seem to contain a lot less carnage. Could that be the AA effects dispersing the strikes?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 323
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/22/2012 3:25:47 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Just cought up with your AAR. Well written and easy to read! Thank you

You mentioned this is your fourth PBEM? How would you say DBB differs from the stock game and are you playing with the stacking limits? I have been eyeing DBB for quite some time now since I have some issues with how the stock game handles some things (non existant AA is one). I actually installed the extended map yesterday and it looks stunning!

I´m about 7 months behind you in my stock PBEM and one difference really stands out and that is the CV battles. We have had two so far and they have been very bloody while yours seem to contain a lot less carnage. Could that be the AA effects dispersing the strikes?

No we are not playing with stacking limts - that option was not available when this game started. There are two big differences between DBB and stock that affect play. The first is that AAA (esp Allied AA) seems to be a lot more effective. The second is that Av support is in short supply. In WitP, I always seemed to have an exces of Av support. In DBB, alot of bases have just enough AV support and some are a little short. This really affects game play a lot as it is hard to have multiple bases built up to high levels in the same general locale

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 324
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/22/2012 3:34:05 AM   
witpqs

You can add stacking limits to games in progress! But if you decide to, both of you should look at them first to make sure that neither of you will suffer a Sudden Black Hole Syndrome with supplies in any places you might be over stacked. Looking at them and them agreeing to implement them when you can both have resolved any issues is advisable.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 325
RE: Rescued from page 3 - 7/22/2012 3:34:32 AM   
vettim89

6-19 July 1943

The previously mentioned IJN CV forray was merely escorting a convoy to Buna.

I moved up and simultaneous occupied Renell Island and KiraKira. On the 19th the IJN respond with both carriers and LBA. I lost 3 CVE but the Japanese lost over 200 strike a/c. This will become important in my next post. In addition, CV Enterprise suffered moderate damage from a sub launched TT. Again, this will be relevant in my next post. These two bases are bulding nicely. Larry tried to shut down Renell Island with a SCTF bombardment, but the engineers repaired all the damage overnight. I did not have enough assault shipping to bring bown engineers and Av support to KiraKira. This led to an enormous CV battle......

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 326
The Battle of the Eastern Solomons - 7/22/2012 3:57:04 AM   
vettim89

20-29 July 1943

So all my assault shipping pulled back to load up more support troops. The first move was to get some Av support into KiraKira followed by getting more engineers onto Renell Island. The KiraKira force arrive two days ago but too late to unload. Last turn the IJN appeared north of Guadacanal but no air action occured. This turn my CVTF reacted to close the range. I had Lex, Sara, Essex, Yorktown II, plus two CVL. The CVLs had dumped their VT squadrons in favor of an addition VMF with Hellcats. Larry was LRCAP his force with fighters from both Lunga and Munda. I had some spillover CAP from KiraKira that was not LRCAP (I was not expecting the reaction)

IJN strikes first

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 21
A6M5c Zero x 7
B6N1 Jill x 41
D4Y1 Judy x 31

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 11
P-40K Warhawk x 29
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11
FM-1 Wildcat x 11
F6F-3 Hellcat x 57

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 11 destroyed
A6M5c Zero: 2 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 15 destroyed, 7 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 3 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 4 destroyed, 5 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 8 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships

BB Washington, Bomb hits 1
CV Lexington, Bomb hits 1
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires (magazine explosing - she is in trouble)
CVL Princeton
BB Indiana, Bomb hits 1

A sweep by Tojos over KiraKira followed with no a/c loss on either side

The Allies counterstrike. Continue to be frustrated with my inability to hit anything with CV air. Pilots all have NavAttack skills in to high 60s/low 70s

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 21
A6M5c Zero x 53
N1K1-J George x 2
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 1

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 30
SBD-5 Dauntless x 29
TBF-1 Avenger x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 7 destroyed
SBD-5 Dauntless: 10 destroyed, 4 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 2 destroyed by flak
TBF-1 Avenger: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Akagi
CV Hiyo
CV Junyo

A second IJN strike for no hist but Sara is showing her damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 13
B6N2 Jill x 17
D4Y1 Judy x 20

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 10
P-40K Warhawk x 24
F4F-4 Wildcat x 10
FM-1 Wildcat x 8
F6F-3 Hellcat x 53

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 5 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 7 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 4 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 8 destroyed
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CVL Princeton
CV Saratoga, heavy fires
CV Lexington
DD Philip
BB Washington

They come again for no joy

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 38
B6N1 Jill x 15
B6N2 Jill x 6
D4Y1 Judy x 21

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 1
F4F-4 Wildcat x 13
FM-1 Wildcat x 6
F6F-3 Hellcat x 104

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 12 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 5 destroyed, 4 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 1 destroyed by flak
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 1 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 9 destroyed, 1 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown II
BB Massachusetts
CV Essex
BB South Dakota

And again with similar results

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 30
B6N2 Jill x 26
D4Y1 Judy x 20
D4Y3 Judy x 17

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 1
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9
FM-1 Wildcat x 2
F6F-3 Hellcat x 69

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 2 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 10 destroyed, 4 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 1 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 6 destroyed by flak
D4Y3 Judy: 6 destroyed, 1 damaged
D4Y3 Judy: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CVL Independence
BB South Dakota
CV Yorktown II
BB Massachusetts

A larger Allied Counterstrike gets some results

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 21
A6M5c Zero x 39
N1K1-J George x 2
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 1

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 27
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 51
TBF-1 Avenger x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 6 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Junyo, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CV Hiyo, Bomb hits 2
CV Akagi
CVL Ryuho, Bomb hits 1
BB Hiei

A strike against a smaller IJN CVTF gets a hit on Unryu

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 44

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 7
TBF-1 Avenger x 19

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed
TBF-1 Avenger: 7 destroyed, 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku
BB Haruna
CV Amagi
CV Unryu, Torpedo hits 1

Coordination is breaking down. A small unescorted strike is wiped

Japanese aircraft
B6N1 Jill x 6
B6N2 Jill x 5
D4Y1 Judy x 11

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 4
FM-1 Wildcat x 3
F6F-3 Hellcat x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N1 Jill: 4 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 3 destroyed
D4Y1 Judy: 6 destroyed

No Allied losses

PM strikes. leakers do quite a bit of damage. Sara is hurt badly but everybody else is ok

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 12
A6M5c Zero x 32
B6N1 Jill x 32
D4Y1 Judy x 31

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 10
FM-1 Wildcat x 12
F6F-3 Hellcat x 79

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 3 destroyed
A6M5c Zero: 10 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 14 destroyed, 5 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 2 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 14 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Montpelier, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 1
DD Lamson
CVL Princeton
BB Washington, Torpedo hits 1
BB Indiana

My PM counterstrike probably does in Junyo

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 13
A6M5c Zero x 66
N1K1-J George x 2
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 1

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 51
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 37
SBD-5 Dauntless x 11
TBF-1 Avenger x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 15 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 9 destroyed, 3 damaged
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-5 Dauntless: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 9 destroyed, 10 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
CV Akagi, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CVL Ryuho
CV Junyo, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

The IJN tries again but no one got through

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 35
B6N2 Jill x 6
D4Y1 Judy x 3

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 10
FM-1 Wildcat x 9
F6F-3 Hellcat x 46

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 3 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 4 destroyed
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-1 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

A small strike by the USN yields no hits

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3
FM-1 Wildcat x 12
TBF-1 Avenger x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 7 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Unryu
CV Amagi

Saratoga sinks after the battle but only takes 16 damaged a/c with her. Hiyo, Unryu, Akagi, and Ryuho likely will all need some yard time. The realy story is in the next image

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 327
RE: The Battle of the Eastern Solomons - 7/22/2012 4:01:52 AM   
vettim89

Air craft losses. Over 600 total for both sides this turn. While fighter losses were near equal, Larry lost over 220 strike aircraft this turn. The Av support is ashore on KiraKira. With now 150 fighters on the two sisters (Renell and KiraKira), my carriers will have help next time I need to move forward. I have another CV plus a CVL 5 days off the map edge from Panama. Cannot help but think that things may have been even more in my favor if The Big E hadn't swollowed a TT ten turns ago.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 328
RE: The Battle of the Eastern Solomons - 7/22/2012 5:39:26 AM   
vettim89

30 July 1943

Image says it all. Lex is too big for the yard at Sydney; so she'll have to go to PH or WC. Raids on Buna and Lunga yield almost 20 N1K1 George shot down. Should have two sq of P-47 in a few days with four more inbound from the WCUSA

No sinkings reported from yesterday but the IJN has withdrawn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 7/22/2012 5:40:42 AM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 329
RE: The Battle of the Eastern Solomons - 7/23/2012 5:55:57 PM   
MBF

Nice work on this AAR ! Too bad about Enterprise .... things would probably have been much different but superb job on all those kills - that must really hurt the air crew quality of the Japanese

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle Off Carnarvon Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI