Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wingen Days 2 and 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Wingen Days 2 and 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 9:32:44 AM   
sweeteye

Finished making up the first scenario on the Wingen-sur-Moder II map.I am planning on making a few different scenarios on the map,two of two day lengths and one of six day length.The actual battle was seven days in length but my map does not cover a large enough area to include the first days operations.The first day was mainly a German advance which was held up for some time by one lone U.S. brigade...Task Force Hudleson.This first scenario covers the actions near Wingen-sur-Moder on days two and three of the operation.The first day is very short...starting at 1530 hours.I have tried to make this scenario as historical as possible in regards to unit effectiveness.Basically I just carried over the stock values from the bulge scenarios.The scenario is derived from maps from the book Seven Days in January.

Playing as the Germans...
Jan 2nd 1530 hours...decided to make my initial advances based upon the historical movements.The bulk of the 257 VG and the 361 VG will begin arriving at 1630 hours.The 12 SS regiment of the 6th SS mountain division starts out with all units on the map.Being that the first day is so short the time is taken up primarily on movement to get into position to attack.

I did not give the orders correctly to the 12 SS causing some of the units to take the wrong route.This mistake cost me heavily in time and affected the outcome of the game.

Jan. 3rd 0250 hours...257 VG in position to attack to the north and the 361 VG in the south. The 12 SS is held up prematurly by U.S. forces due to my mistake in movement orders.

Jan 3rd 0617 hours....257 VG begins attack on Goetzenbruck.

Jan 3rd 0714 hours....361 VG begins attacks on Saegmuhle and Wildengut. 12 SS attempts to move toward the Kohlhutte area.

Jan 3rd 1224 hours....red arrows shows my anticipated movements.

Jan 3rd 2030 hours....In the south the 361 VG attacks are bogged down from U.S. artillery bombardment. The 12 SS movements are stalled out as well.

Jan 3rd 2301 hours....Final positions

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/20/2011 9:39:13 AM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Post #: 1
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 1:29:35 PM   
Lieste

Hmm, is there an alternative valid, motorised route for 12 PGR? Steep slopes, wooded terrain and trucks don't mix well. It looks as if the infantry went the ordered route, but the motorised supports had no choice but to follow the roads through the enemy position.

Is it that you have too-solid woods? or are you missing tactically important logging trails etc that were used by the real units in this area?

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 2
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 1:54:40 PM   
sweeteye

Good points Lieste.....I double checked the maps and it shows no type of road used by the 12th SS.....seems to have been a cross country infiltration route.The roads are slightly different on the maps and the maps are somewhat distorted....Having motorized units in the 6th SS mountain division may be a mistake on my part...Another problem is the estab used has no mountain units.....May have to try and create an estab....would take a little research.....Going to double check and see if the motorized units will move cross country...I believe I just gave the wrong route order....fastest,quickest, shortest,safest...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/20/2011 2:08:21 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 2:12:49 PM   
sweeteye

Running a test right now and the units with non AFV vehicles seem to be moving cross country although slowly.....Also probably do not need the 6th SS div HQ and base to be included in the OOB...seems there would almost have to be some vehicles in the 12th SS....The non AFVs are definitely moving cross country.....I think I should have just ordered them to move a short distance at a time and used shortest route....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/20/2011 2:37:23 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 4
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 6:05:27 PM   
wodin

Sweeteye what do you think of the book?

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 5
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 10/20/2011 6:31:27 PM   
sweeteye

Hi Wodin.....Excellent book....I am glad you suggested it,I do not think I could have done this updated scenario without it as well as the next two scenarios.I still have a lot of reading to do as I have just been browsing through parts here and there to gather information.It does not seem to have a highly detailed OOB as I hoped it would but it does seem to have the most important information needed.Mainly I just need the artillery type unit designations for the German VG divisions as well as the American artillery..Also I believe I am going to make some of the objectives in the six day scenario activate at different times as you have suggested.This scenario I just tested was a lot of fun to play,in fact I believe it is my favorite one I have made so far.The six day scenario should be good!With the patch coming out soon I might as well wait to post the scenarios until shortly afterwards.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/20/2011 6:46:41 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 2/24/2012 7:05:46 AM   
Tophat1812

Whats the book title wodin is referring to?

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 7
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 2/24/2012 2:11:07 PM   
sweeteye

Seven Days in January
With the 6th SS Mountain Division in Operation Nordwind
by Wolf T. Zoepf

Excellent book....Have been referring to it a lot....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/25/2012 1:03:33 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 8
RE: Wingen Days 2 and 3 - 3/30/2012 12:28:52 AM   
sweeteye

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Wingen Days 2 and 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI