Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 9:13:42 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Mea culpa - I've recently been on a tear of cumpulsive game buying in Ebay.

DAK2, NIB, in shrink.
3 copies, (yes 3 !) SPI War in the East. 1 punched and played but complete, 2 unpunched.
1 copy of AH panzer leader to compliment the other 3 that I currently own, punched and played, partially complete.

Someday, I really want to play them all, but I have to admit, I'm a bit of a collector as well. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. This is the first time in my life when I can afford to collect things that I want.

Anybody else feel the same way ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Post #: 1
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 9:18:07 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I totally understand. DAK2 is excellent. What is NIB? Good luck with your games.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

DAK2, NIB, in shrink.
3 copies, (yes 3 !) SPI War in the East. 1 punched and played but complete, 2 unpunched.
1 copy of AH panzer leader to compliment the other 3 that I currently own, punched and played, partially complete.

Someday, I really want to play them all, but I have to admit, I'm a bit of a collector as well. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. This is the first time in my life when I can afford to collect things that I want.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 2
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 9:28:31 PM   
Perturabo

It's one of the things that make this world worth living in.

I don't know when I'll play Halls of Montezuma, Austerlitz, Waterloo, Armada, Dreadnoughts, Hero Quest, Space Crusade, Ultima V, M1 Tank Platoon, Falcon 4.0, Luftshiff and these were purchases of this year alone.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 10:14:40 PM   
apathetic lurker

I own two copies of DAK2, 1 copy of WITP, 1 copy of WitE , 1 copy of CNA and found another copy still in shrink. Thought I lost that one...lol
GDW's/GRD's fire in the east and ALL expansions to the series. Will I ever play them? Probably not..I want to though...Im just to apathetic to actually start a game up.... Played them when I was younger. Now I have an evil kitten who sees anything on the gaming table as fair game.....

< Message edited by apathetic lurker -- 10/15/2011 10:16:29 PM >

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 4
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 10:20:29 PM   
ilovestrategy

To an evil kitten anything is fair game!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 5
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/15/2011 10:42:48 PM   
Perturabo

The worst thing with Luftshiff is that I was seriously passionate about both solitaire wargames and WWI air combat when I was collecting money to buy it. I got too apathetic to play any boardgames soon after I got it and cut out the counters.
Too bad I haven't lost interest a few weeks earlier as at least I would have 140PLN to spend on something that at least looks good on shelf or is nice to read.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 10/15/2011 10:45:55 PM >

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 6
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 12:37:12 AM   
redcoat

I'm a compulsive window shopper on ebay. I drool over computer games, board games and ready painted 15mm DBA armies that I would buy if I had the spare cash.

There is a lady in the UK - Maria from Mount and Blade - who regularly sells ready painted DBA armies. Every week I look at her latest offering knowing that I won't be buying it. Maybe one day. When I win the premium bonds. Sigh.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 12:58:37 AM   
Perturabo

How much do they usually cost?

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 8
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 1:11:52 AM   
redcoat

You can usually get 15mm DBA armies for around £30-60. Sometimes much more.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 9
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 1:44:38 AM   
Perturabo

Sounds like much less than an unpainted Games Workshop army. How many miniatures there are usually in one army?

15mm is pretty cool and economic. It's a shame practically no one plays any 15mm system here.

Right now I'm dreaming about collecting flat miniatures. Maybe I'll try to make some.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 10/16/2011 1:46:01 AM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 10
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 4:50:47 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I totally understand. DAK2 is excellent. What is NIB? Good luck with your games.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

DAK2, NIB, in shrink.

NIB is an acronym for New In Box.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 11
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 4:51:27 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

I'm a compulsive window shopper on ebay. I drool over computer games, board games and ready painted 15mm DBA armies that I would buy if I had the spare cash.

There is a lady in the UK - Maria from Mount and Blade - who regularly sells ready painted DBA armies. Every week I look at her latest offering knowing that I won't be buying it. Maybe one day. When I win the premium bonds. Sigh.

I thought you could send those off to China and have them painted for a few bucks ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 12
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 12:37:28 PM   
redcoat

You could try that … but you could end up with a turquoise and yellow Roman Legion.

< Message edited by redcoat -- 10/16/2011 12:39:00 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 13
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 12:43:10 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Sounds like much less than an unpainted Games Workshop army. How many miniatures there are usually in one army?

15mm is pretty cool and economic. It's a shame practically no one plays any 15mm system here.

Right now I'm dreaming about collecting flat miniatures. Maybe I'll try to make some.

When you buy a second hand DBA army you usually get around the same number of ‘elements’ or figures. Search on ebay.co.uk and you’ll nearly always find some 15mm armies up for sale.

A free alternative to playing DBA with figures is DBA Online. It is free to download and play hotseat or solo. You can subscribe to play online – but if you want to play Ancients or Medieval games online you are better off with Field of Glory anyway. It's a grand game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redcoat -- 10/16/2011 12:44:37 PM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 14
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 5:30:36 PM   
parusski

I too have reached a point of being able to buy the things I want. Over the last few months I have been on a rip buying ASL modules and I finally have them all(from Ebay). There is no way I will play most of the games I own(72 at last count), collecting them is so much fun. Oh, and my wife does not mind.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 15
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 6:39:12 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I do play "fields of glory" minitures-Roman army of about 40K and a Carth Army of about 30-35K.....Enjoy it as much as board gaming. Most of mine I paid to have painted. 15mm.
quote:

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 10/16/2011 6:41:56 PM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 16
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 8:29:15 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski
There is no way I will play most of the games I own(72 at last count), collecting them is so much fun.

72? Better get with the program! I'm up to 160+... and there are people I know of that have well over 1,000!!

But in context of the thread, there are some common sense tricks to Ferrengi-bay, I mean e-bay that a large quantity of people can't seem to figure out... NUMBER ONE RULE --> Don't get target fixation!!! Look around the web for better deals (You'd be amazed at what people pay on e-bay for stuff they can get a whole lot cheaper elsewhere.

Also never trust a seller that uses the words "wow," "look" or "rare" (9 out of 10 times, its _not_ rare and there are multiple listings for the same item on e-bay!).

And use due diligence in reference to the seller of an item. Check out their feedback and length of time on e-bay.

Always watch out for "feeding frenzy-itus" at auction's end! Don't fall for it!

Although, none of the common sense items above apply if you are filthy rich, as some posts seem to imply. *grin*

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 17
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 10:03:31 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I had over 300 but sold most of my collection. Now I am down to about 40 or so. I play select ones now. I am to old too spend the money I did in the past. So the games I have now I truly am trying to play(not just set). I stopped collecting.
quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski
There is no way I will play most of the games I own(72 at last count), collecting them is so much fun.

72? Better get with the program! I'm up to 160+... and there are people I know of that have well over 1,000!!

But in context of the thread, there are some common sense tricks to Ferrengi-bay, I mean e-bay that a large quantity of people can't seem to figure out... NUMBER ONE RULE --> Don't get target fixation!!! Look around the web for better deals (You'd be amazed at what people pay on e-bay for stuff they can get a whole lot cheaper elsewhere.

Also never trust a seller that uses the words "wow," "look" or "rare" (9 out of 10 times, its _not_ rare and there are multiple listings for the same item on e-bay!).

And use due diligence in reference to the seller of an item. Check out their feedback and length of time on e-bay.

Always watch out for "feeding frenzy-itus" at auction's end! Don't fall for it!

Although, none of the common sense items above apply if you are filthy rich, as some posts seem to imply. *grin*

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 10/16/2011 10:07:52 PM >

(in reply to E)
Post #: 18
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/16/2011 10:11:17 PM   
Titanwarrior89

There is one true "Gem" out there-Twilight Imperium.  A excellent space/stra/diplomacy boardgame. 

Wish Matrix would make a computer game on it.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 10/16/2011 10:13:16 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/17/2011 3:25:07 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

You could try that … but you could end up with a turquoise and yellow Roman Legion.

Ya but, you could spec it out as you wish.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 20
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/17/2011 5:12:59 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

I'm just imagining a traditional Roman Legion looking at them and saying "WTF??????"

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 21
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/21/2011 1:26:10 AM   
rhondabrwn

I'll be selling on Ebay when I have time.

Anyone want to give me $250 for a mint condition GRD Europa Second Front?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 22
RE: Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior - 10/21/2011 2:27:42 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I had over 300 but sold most of my collection. Now I am down to about 40 or so. I play select ones now. I am to old too spend the money I did in the past. So the games I have now I truly am trying to play(not just set). I stopped collecting.

So you were never in the running to catch up to those with over 1,000 games (I'm not either but then again, I'm still in the game! *grin*).

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cumpulsive Ebay Behavior Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI