Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 8:06:46 PM   
Mike13z50

How do experienced players deploy the Luftwaffe, while maintaining a efficient aircraft repair cycle?

In another thread I came across a reference to airbase support level.
From the rule book it says when a airbase exceeds its maximum support level your chances or repairing damaged aircraft is greatly reduced. (7.2.1, 8.2, 11.2.4)

Reviewing my airbases on turn three I noticed one airbase that was far in excess of support with only two groups of JU88A, and then noticed that all my bases with JU 88A were over support level. Not surprisingly readiness levels were poor at those bases.

In trying to figure out just how to balance my deployment I ran some experiments using a new both human game, just moving planes around and cycling turns.

A German airbase has a maximum Support level of 250.
An empty airbase requires 18 support for the intrinsic AAA (leaving 232 for planes).
These are rough numbers of support required for 41 german per plane:
JU88A 4.5 support points, HE111 3.5, DO17 2.5, Stuka/FB/Tac 1.5, Fighter 1

So a 40 strength JU 88 group requires around 180 support (1 per base +AAA(18)=192) Leaving 58 points for other a/c. Stick in a wing of fighters and a 4 group of JU88a and your at 248 support required.

I thought I had a solution when I noticed that the Romanian bases had almost 500 support, but then discovered you can't cross base between nationalities.

I'm still evolving a concept of deployment, and wanted to know what others do.

References
-----------------------
"The support need of an air base unit is based on both the number and type of aircraft and anti-aircraft ground elements attached to that unit. If a HQ unit has fewer support squads than its „NEED‟ its leader will have their admin skill rating decreased when conducting admin checks."
Air base units consist of only two types of ground elements, support squad ground elements and anti-aircraft guns. Air base units will have a better chance of repairing damaged aircraft if they have more support squad ground elements assigned than their support need .
The Admin leader rating is used for...checking for repair of damaged aircraft...
Post #: 1
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 8:09:38 PM   
JAMiAM

I do much the same thing, mixing and matching air groups within the Airbases, so that I am as close to the support level as possible.

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 2
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 8:35:46 PM   
Q-Ball

One thing I have noticed on the Romanians: They have far, far more airbases than they really need. Not sure how many they can get by with, but it's certainly less than the 10-ish you get in 1941. They don't get alot of reinforcement units, and most airbases start with just a couple units.

If you are running out of Romanian Manpower, the Romanian Airbases are a great source for replacements.......

The Finns also are over-supported, but I think they have a different problem: They have lots of small units, so you max-out at 12 on most airbases. Even still, I think there is room to disband a single Airbase for the Finns. That's 5000 replacements for an army that gets precious fe replacements.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 8:56:03 PM   
Mike13z50

Speaking of disbands, what about the German security HQ (RHQ?). Can they be safely disbanded?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 9:26:56 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike13z50

Speaking of disbands, what about the German security HQ (RHQ?). Can they be safely disbanded?

They are virtually worthless. Yes; they should be the first to go.

I haven't gotten to 1943-44 as the Germans; at that point, if the game is working right, the German player SHOULD have Manpower problems. There are a few ways you can go to at least delay the inevitable (in order of my preference):

1. RHG HQs
2. Army Airbase Units (They are only good for recon really)
3. Security Divisions, IF you are being pushed back (less need for them)
4. FBD units; NOT until 1943 or so, but I can see a point you don't need 5 of them
5. Luftwaffe Divisions, though they do get OK if you let them train

I wouldn't disband Construction Units; they are non-combat manpower, but you need the digging

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 5
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 9:52:39 PM   
Mike13z50

I was going to disband the RHG, but then I realized that they are basically shell army HQ. But I guess the Germans don't need three more Army HQ, so away they go.

Can you base your recon on the twenty something LW airbases without over loading support?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 10:48:09 PM   
abulbulian

I agree something doesn't seem correct that you can't only deploy at least two 40 bomber group per airbase.  Luftwaffe airbases should have more support or the support needed for bombers should be decreased. Maybe the support level is low anticipating the creation of the Luftwaffe field divisions which pulled in extra manpower from airbases and other areas once the Luftwaffe became more depleted.  It would be better to start with TOE of higher support and then phase in lower support to reflect this situation later in the war?

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 7
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 11:08:38 PM   
Ketza

If you use security divisions for easy combats in 1941 and then harbor them in a city during the blizzard they can actually get into the 80s for morale and have CVs of 6 or 7.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 8
RE: Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A - 10/14/2011 11:10:43 PM   
Mike13z50

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

If you use security divisions for easy combats in 1941 and then harbor them in a city during the blizzard they can actually get into the 80s for morale and have CVs of 6 or 7.

We were talking about disbanding the three security HQ's not the divisions. The HQ's aren't even any good for garrisoning.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Airbase Support Level and the JU 88A Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI