Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer synchronization

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Multiplayer synchronization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer synchronization - 10/14/2011 1:13:45 AM   
sweeteye

Wondering if there is anything that can be done to help ensure synchronization when playing in multiplayer mode?

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/14/2011 5:24:29 AM   
Arjuna

Can you decribe what the problem is?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/14/2011 10:18:23 AM   
sweeteye

I'm sorry Arjuna, I thought just mentioning a synchronization problem would be enough to get some tips..Simply put,7thcav and myself are just not able to keep a game MP game going.After a little time of playing we get an error message saying we have lost synchronization.I am not to good with the technical side of computers.Wonder if it has to do with the distance between us and internet speed or some other technical issue with our computers.Our game time clock seems to be different from each other by about 3 or 4 minutes and then the session ends with the error message.We are going to try another session this weekend.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/14/2011 12:49:26 PM   
Arjuna

It is normal for the two machines to be out slightly in terms of time. One will lag behind the other as comms packets are sent and processed. But the sync should still be maintained. If the lag exceeds three m inutes ( IIRC that is the max we allow ) then you might suffer a breakdown in comms and get a network error message.

What specifically was the error message?

What internet connection speeds are you running at? ( ie how fast is your connection and that of your opponent? )

What ping rating are your machines? ( what is the line quality? )

You can access freeware test programs that will give you the answers to these. Try:
http://ip-address.cc/speedtest/
or
http://www.speedtest.net/?s=986

Also what OS are you running?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/14/2011 3:17:27 PM   
sweeteye

Trying to remember the exact error message.Has been several days and I am not exactly sure.Just know it said we lost synchronization.7thcav and I did discuss connection speeds and pings and ran some tests.I am using windows XP professional on a DSL connection.Not sure about 7thcav. If we have troubles again this weekend I will record everything precisely and report back.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/15/2011 12:45:53 AM   
Arjuna

Thanks.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/15/2011 1:07:47 PM   
7thcav

I am windows xp home with a broadband connection of 10mbs down and 1.5mbs up. In addition we were running Skype at the time. I can't remember the exact wording but it was " the game has been terminated due to a loss of synchronization" running on average 3 minutes behind. We tested using pingtest.net and speedtest.net to his nearest available city ( should have pinged him directly but didn't ) the result was a ping of 117 with a B connection quality and no packet loss.Oddly his clock was running ahead of mine with we me as host which had me looking for problems on my end . What I found were some housekeeping issues courtesy of Mrs.7thcav and one of the Cavettes and a joint online shopping expedition earlier in the week. Nothing particularly nasty mind but enough to possibly affect available band width.

Another oddity was if the host player saved the file after a disconnect and sent it via Skype to the opponent and then attempted to re-host the opponent failed to get a request for password and was unable to log in to the game. BUT the opponent could host the game and the original host could re-join him without problems.

System spec:

Core duo 2.8
Nvidia 275gtx 856mb video card
2gigs of ram
windows XP

Regards
7thcav

< Message edited by 7thcav -- 10/15/2011 1:08:23 PM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/15/2011 3:04:09 PM   
7thcav

Despite our problems which I am confident were related to connection quality due to issues on my end ,the Multiplayer side of BFTB works extremely well . The ability to pause the game at agreed upon intervals eliminated the often complained about "click feasts "that tend to annoy some of us including me. Although we did encounter the above mentioned password problem (which was easily worked around ) reconnection was quick and painless with the files being transfered via Skype in about a minute and a half after an hour and a half of game play ( on our first attempt we did get almost an hour and a half of play in before the first disconnect) which compared to a couple of other titles I own is exceptionally good.

Regards
7thcav

(in reply to 7thcav)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/15/2011 5:41:46 PM   
7thcav

Problem resolved.....appears  that it was connection quality issues.

(in reply to 7thcav)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiplayer synchronization - 10/16/2011 3:52:23 PM   
ulisin

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7thcav

Another oddity was if the host player saved the file after a disconnect and sent it via Skype to the opponent and then attempted to re-host the opponent failed to get a request for password and was unable to log in to the game. BUT the opponent could host the game and the original host could re-join him without problems.

Sometime we've had same problem.
Very odd. (may be punctuation marks in our file name?)
A part from this problem, I've played about ten on-line games. No problems at all!!

(in reply to 7thcav)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Multiplayer synchronization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI