Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Summary of available mods please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Summary of available mods please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summary of available mods please - 10/8/2011 1:33:37 PM   
Tuhhodge

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been absent from the game for some time now, but, having just finished reading Robert Leckie's brilliant book: Helmet for my pillow, I am enthused to start a new campaign.

I currently have an up-to-date installation (according to the 'Check for update' function in the Game menu) and as far as I recall I installed daBabes light about 9 months ago.

What would represent a sensible list of mods to install in order to play an historical campaign from the Allied side? And, if you could spare the time, please indicate how I should go about the installation/re-installation of the various patches, mods etc.

Many thanks in anticipation of your posts.

Tom

EDITED TO ADD: I intend playing vs the AI.

< Message edited by Tuhhodge -- 10/8/2011 1:34:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/9/2011 8:45:38 PM   
inqistor

It is hard to make real MOD, if you are going to play against AI. Well, maybe not that hard, if MODder wants to write his own AI

So your only option is some simple modifications only.

(in reply to Tuhhodge)
Post #: 2
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/10/2011 2:44:44 PM   
JWE

Hello Tuhhodge,

BabesLite Scens 26 and 27, both sides are fully playable against the AI, and can use both nominal and Quiet China files.
BabesLite "A" scenarios use the stock map and were updated to v11 on Aug. 1, 2011.
BabesLite "B" scenarios use the extended map and were updated to v12 on Sept. 20, 2011.

BigBabes Scens 28 and 29, are playable as the Allies against the Japanese AI, and can use both nominal and Quiet China AI files.
BigBabes "A" scenarios use the stock map and were updated to v08 on Aug. 1, 2011.
BigBabes "B" scenarios use the extended map and were updated to v09 on Sept. 18, 2011.
All Babes scenarios are as historical as we can possibly make them.

Two other scenario sets/mods that are well structured and thought out are the Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War. Don't know how they respond to the AI, but believe Reluctant Admiral is playable as the Allies against the Japanese AI. Not exactly historical, but they've done a damn fine job of making things plausable. Check with John 3rd or FatR for more info.

Treespiders Real-Deal-Logistics is also well structured and thought out, but modifies the production model such that it may be a difficult proposition for the AI for either side. An approximation to the RDL is the BigBabes "C" scenarios; playable as Allies against the Japanese AI, but even this might eventually eventually choke, burp & puke on Japanese shipping. I would categorize these two as 'historical to the extreme'.

These are the ones I am aware of that you may wish to consider. There may be others.

[ed] be pleased to help with installs of any Babes scenario(s) you wish to use. John 3rd, FatR, Treespider give extensive support to their users, too. Lots of people who regularly play these mods are always willing to jump in and get problems sorted out.

Ciao. John

< Message edited by JWE -- 10/10/2011 3:00:51 PM >

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Tuhhodge)
Post #: 3
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/10/2011 3:37:47 PM   
Andy Mac

Most of mine are ahistoric so may not be of interest

Scen 10 Ironman v Jap AI
Scen 23 Ironman v Allied AI

Not what you would call in any way historic and in all honesty do not have the academic rigour of some of the other mods mentioned by JWE they are desinged to make the AI more competitive and not make a player pull his punches without playing on VHard which messes with unit by unit supply.

Andy

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 4
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/10/2011 4:01:06 PM   
JWE

Andy's scenarios are also very nicely thought out and I was remiss in not mentioning them. Reason I didn't was because Andy chose to have his made official so one gets them automatically, as part of the game. Sorry about that.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/10/2011 4:24:58 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks John. Just a note that Perfect War is in the design stage. Reluctant Admiral is on its 3rd version and is immediately playable. I've had players use it vs. the AI without issue.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 6
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/10/2011 5:58:12 PM   
Andy Mac

Its ok John he did ask for 'historic scens' and mine are now anything but !!!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 7:06:53 PM   
Tuhhodge

Many thanks for the help. However, I'm afraid the process of downloading and installing various mods has completely defeated me. In frustration and dispair I have uninstalled the game so I can start afresh.

I know that the mods who created the wonderful DaBigBabes mod and Andrew Brown who created the new extended map completely understand the games filing system, the concept of extracting files to various folders, but sadly I could not follow the procedure.

I managed to update the game to the latest version but came unstuck when downloading DaBigBabes. Here are the bits that confuse me on the DaBabes website and on Andrew's page. I apologise in advance because I know you'll all be laughing at my ignorance:

1) DaBigBabes is two basic scenarios: Scen028 - Dec. 7 start, and Scen 029 - Dec. 8 start.

- I don't follow the terminology. My game has about 12 stock scenarios. Why are these ones called 28 and 29? Could someone kindly point me to an explanation?

2) Download the Scen files for whichever version you choose to use and unzip into the Scen Folder of the game directory;
Download the modified Map Art and unzip into the ART Folder of the game directory;

- this I think I managed to do! I clicked 'download' and when the extract programme showed the relevant files I selected them all and told the computer to 'extract to' the relevant directory, overriding existing files where necessary.

3) BigBabes_B – The B versions of Scen028 and Scen029 has a modified Locations file (wplxxx.dat) and is compatible with Andrew Brown's Extended Map:;
The B version requires modified Map Art, and modified map data files (get them from the Map and Art page);

- I think this is the one I would like to install!

4) Download the modified pwhexe.dat file and unzip into the main, top-level folder of the game directory

- oops, you lost me there. What, where is the pwhexe.dat file? It's not apparently in the list of attachments at the foot of the page.

5) Warning - AI files are included for your convenience. However, the Allied AI will not work as expected and will give bizarre results; too many units are not where the Allied AI script expects to find them. The Japanese AI works reasonably well, so if one plays against the AI, one should play as the Allies.

and I presume these are the relevant AI files:

Scen029_v05_AI_Files.zip - on Apr 14, 2011 9:03 AM by Web Master (version 1)

- Does this mean I should or should not download AI files at the same time as installing BigBabes_B? And where do I download and extract them to?

6) I presume that I need AB's extended map, so I went to his webpage and see that the mod is set up for use with the Jonesoft "Generic Mod Enabler" (GME)?

- I downloaded this, though the set up instructions are fairly tricky to follow. However I muddled through - confirmation of the normal process would help me though!

7) On Andrew's webpage: Extract the AE Extended Map Data and Structure file into your game directory

- I extracted the AE Extended Map Data and Structure.zip and that seems to work.

8) It then says: extract all four of the map art files into the new ART folder. The data files are already in the Extended Map v2 folder.

- Ok, so it says extract 'all four map art files' but which four? There are 2 each of Hexes, Non-hexes and Wif style, so you lost me at this point.

- What relevance is the statement that the data files are already in the Extended Map v2 folder?

Basically, I really need a step by step guide to this process, please. It seems that the mod scene is so in-depth that you've all developed into computer programmers and I'm not up to it! I've already got a headache doing this and it's not getting any better! :-( Sorry to be such a hassle.

< Message edited by Tuhhodge -- 10/31/2011 8:12:20 PM >

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 8
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 8:42:51 PM   
JWE

Sorry for your problems Tuhhodge. We’ve been doing this for so long that perhaps we assume a certain familiarity with the game’s administrative procedures and folder/file locations that many new players do not have. My apologies.

Preparing a step-by-step ‘how to’ document. It’s a ‘ReadMeFirst’, so ya’ll gonna have to read it first, but I think it will cover every one of the Babes installation options. Hang in there; won’t take too long, should be done by end of the day. That should take care of your 2, 3, and 4.

Q 1) is simple. Every scenario has a unique scenario number. Scenario numbers 1 - 25 (whether present or not) are 'official' scenarios, authorized by Matrix/Henderson Field which come with the game, are document controlled to protect PBEM play, and which cannot be modified, under the same scenario number, unless done by an 'official' data patch. Babes scenarios occupy scenario numbers 26, 27, 28, and 29, so that they may be modified/updated at the discretion of the scenario designers.

< Message edited by JWE -- 10/31/2011 9:03:51 PM >

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Tuhhodge)
Post #: 9
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 8:56:47 PM   
Alfred

I'll only comment on the OPs first question as JWE has indicated he is preparing an indepth answer for all the other questions/issues.

The first 25 scenario slots are reserved exclusively for only Matrix officially developed scenarios.

Any mod developed unofficially by players can only be allocated a slot number above #25. Basically first in get the higher numbers. The DaBabes mods were developed very early in the AE post release life cycle, so they were quick to grab those high scenario slots.

Alfred

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 10
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 9:02:50 PM   
JWE

You actually beat me to it Alfred. You got your answer in while I was typing out my edited response. You are a quick thing, aren't ya? Oh well, two of us saying the same thing isn't all that bad, yeah??

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 9:31:20 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

You actually beat me to it Alfred. You got your answer in while I was typing out my edited response. You are a quick thing, aren't ya? Oh well, two of us saying the same thing isn't all that bad, yeah??

You're the second person in the last 30 minutes to express such a sentiment. See this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2899779&mpage=8

posts #217-219.

I've already floated the idea that I might have to change my name to

Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in all of Mexico.

Although to counter the excessive speed of that character, we would also need to include the two crows by the door of the taverna.

Alfred, anderle anderle arriba arriba

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 12
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 10:36:59 PM   
JWE

Well ... it's supposed to be 'andele, 'andele, but the Spanish don't really say that either. I guess you are going to need a sidekick to keep you out of trouble. I mean, Qweek Straw MaGraw had Baba Louie. Since you are an Alfredo, maybe you need a Sancho Ricotta, or a Padre Parmegiano. I thought of Senor Doctor al Dente, but there's too many associations with Novacaine and root canals. So ...

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: Summary of available mods please - 10/31/2011 11:14:35 PM   
Tuhhodge

JWE and Alfred.

Thanks ever so much. I look forward to reading the ‘ReadMeFirst’.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 14
RE: Summary of available mods please - 11/1/2011 1:51:25 AM   
RevRick

quote:

Well ... it's supposed to be 'andele, 'andele, but the Spanish don't really say that either. I guess you are going to need a sidekick to keep you out of trouble. I mean, Qweek Straw MaGraw had Baba Louie. Since you are an Alfredo, maybe you need a Sancho Ricotta, or a Padre Parmegiano. I thought of Senor Doctor al Dente, but there's too many associations with Novacaine and root canals. So ...

You are old enough to remember El Kabong!!!!! I thought you were younger than that!

Speaking of the indepth how to add stuff to the game post... I'd love to have that as well. With my sometimes long absences from the game .. because of professional considerations... I sometimes feel as if I have missed stuff and can't begin where to catch up!

Gratia et pax..

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
RE: Summary of available mods please - 11/1/2011 8:35:31 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Hey all. Any official August 42 start campaign that runs until 46 in the works? Always thought it might make a great Japanese AI scen.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 16
RE: Summary of available mods please - 11/1/2011 11:18:48 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Hey all. Any official August 42 start campaign that runs until 46 in the works? Always thought it might make a great Japanese AI scen.

Not official, but Nik has done some work on that:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2753637

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 17
RE: Summary of available mods please - 11/1/2011 7:04:12 PM   
Nikademus

The 42 'mod' could be considered "semi" official as it uses the 41 GC device/class etc data as it's template and the unmodded AE map. Also because it was created by a dev with the AI being worked on by another dev.

So in that sense its "official" enough. The only thing "non - offical" about it is that it doesn't try to place every chess piece in it's EXACT historical position in May 1942 except for hot theaters like Coral Sea and Burma. However it is far more accurate than the old Stock WitP 42 campaign which was essentially just the 41 GC with a few pieces moved and 80% of the rest still sitting in their 41 ports ready to invade the SRA.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 18
RE: Summary of available mods please - 11/2/2011 5:30:49 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

I mean, Qweek Straw MaGraw had Baba Louie.

That's "Quick Draw McGraw" as you can see. Maybe a little to quick!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 11/2/2011 5:31:50 AM >

Art by the ROUGE-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition - Ship Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 19
RE: Summary of available mods please - 12/23/2011 11:12:34 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Scen 10 Ironman v Jap AI

Not what you would call in any way historic and in all honesty do not have the academic rigour of some of the other mods mentioned by JWE they are desinged to make the AI more competitive and not make a player pull his punches without playing on VHard which messes with unit by unit supply.

Andy

Can someone point me to where I can download scenario 23 - Ironman Vs Allied AI?

TTFN,

Mike

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 20
RE: Summary of available mods please - 12/24/2011 2:06:55 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

It is hard to make real MOD, if you are going to play against AI. Well, maybe not that hard, if MODder wants to write his own AI

We spent a LOT of time (an extra year) pulling the AI "out of the code" and putting it "into the editor". So now everyone has access to the same tools we used to build the official scenarios. There are no "hidden editors" in this game. It might be "hard" but not any harder for the Modder than it is for the development team. Equally as hard!

AE Project Lead

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 21
RE: Summary of available mods please - 12/24/2011 3:09:50 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

We spent a LOT of time (an extra year) pulling the AI "out of the code" and putting it "into the editor". So now everyone has access to the same tools we used to build the official scenarios. There are no "hidden editors" in this game. It might be "hard" but not any harder for the Modder than it is for the development team. Equally as hard!

Yes all good work but I for one would like the editor to evolve more too ... Beta changes are great but improving modding ability would be a dream too...

EDITOR /GAME MECH
  • Get the editor opened up to changing the multiplier variables for airframe,engines,Arm, Veh, Naval and Merchants.
  • Pilot training HI cost variable should be available too.
  • Access to repair variable (1000 supply / repair).
  • Allow fractions to be recognised for existing multipliers(editor). (might be hard without converting to float or double)
  • Maybe PP's to be made variable on date (editor controlled) or linked by percent to VP's. In the former a variability to play and the later option suggesting political will. An allied player bunkering down and waiting until '43 would have less to spend.
  • The ability to setup auto-convoys (CS) in the editor.(minor req) Japan didn't start the war devoid of raw material convoys.
  • Supply requirements (like the beta)

These are just some suggestions as I'm a part-time modder... the real "hard core modder" guys I hope will list a few more they'd like here ...

PS. I'll do the work / coding in conjunction with MichaelM. I have an NDA with Matrix and can code.

-Damian-
    EconDoc
    TrackerAE
    Tutes&Java

(in reply to jwilkerson)
  • Post #: 22
    RE: Summary of available mods please - 12/24/2011 12:54:22 PM   
    JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
    Access to repair variable (1000 supply / repair).

This is actually already moddable; set the Load Cost of an industry device to something non-zero, and repair of it will use that much supplies. Only thing I havent tested it on is Engines.

Other ideas, related to industry;
    -Ability to define expansion costs for industry.
    -More engine slots.
    -Option to add the 'Engineer Vehicle' flag to things other than the device itself, like what was done with Engineers and Shore Parties.

And unrelated;
    -Separation of flight deck and hangar deck armour for carriers.
    -'Torpedo resistance' value for ships to reflect TDS, could be worked as simply as being an addition to Durability vs Torpedo hits.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 12/24/2011 3:12:08 PM >

Coral Sea HDM
    AltWNT Scenarios

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Summary of available mods please - 12/25/2011 11:58:26 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
    Access to repair variable (1000 supply / repair).

This is actually already moddable; set the Load Cost of an industry device to something non-zero, and repair of it will use that much supplies. Only thing I havent tested it on is Engines.

I have and it works ... Thanks - that's going to make a big difference to my mod.

Cheers

-Damian-
    EconDoc
    TrackerAE
    Tutes&Java

(in reply to JuanG)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Summary of available mods please - 1/5/2012 1:15:32 AM   
    n01487477

Bump

-Damian-
    EconDoc
    TrackerAE
    Tutes&Java

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Summary of available mods please - 1/5/2012 2:22:24 PM   
    HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Scen 10 Ironman v Jap AI

Andy

Can someone point me to where I can download scenario 23 - Ironman Vs Allied AI?

TTFN,

Mike

Here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2920168

Hans

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
    Post #: 26
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Summary of available mods please Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI