Many thanks for the help. However, I'm afraid the process of downloading and installing various mods has completely defeated me. In frustration and dispair I have uninstalled the game so I can start afresh.
I know that the mods who created the wonderful DaBigBabes mod and Andrew Brown who created the new extended map completely understand the games filing system, the concept of extracting files to various folders, but sadly I could not follow the procedure.
I managed to update the game to the latest version but came unstuck when downloading DaBigBabes. Here are the bits that confuse me on the DaBabes website and on Andrew's page. I apologise in advance because I know you'll all be laughing at my ignorance:
1) DaBigBabes is two basic scenarios: Scen028 - Dec. 7 start, and Scen 029 - Dec. 8 start.
- I don't follow the terminology. My game has about 12 stock scenarios. Why are these ones called 28 and 29? Could someone kindly point me to an explanation?
2) Download the Scen files for whichever version you choose to use and unzip into the Scen Folder of the game directory;
Download the modified Map Art and unzip into the ART Folder of the game directory;
- this I think I managed to do! I clicked 'download' and when the extract programme showed the relevant files I selected them all and told the computer to 'extract to' the relevant directory, overriding existing files where necessary.
3) BigBabes_B – The B versions of Scen028 and Scen029 has a modified Locations file (wplxxx.dat) and is compatible with Andrew Brown's Extended Map:;
The B version requires modified Map Art, and modified map data files (get them from the Map and Art page);
- I think this is the one I would like to install!
4) Download the modified pwhexe.dat file and unzip into the main, top-level folder of the game directory
- oops, you lost me there. What, where is the pwhexe.dat file? It's not apparently in the list of attachments at the foot of the page.
5) Warning - AI files are included for your convenience. However, the Allied AI will not work as expected and will give bizarre results; too many units are not where the Allied AI script expects to find them. The Japanese AI works reasonably well, so if one plays against the AI, one should play as the Allies.
and I presume these are the relevant AI files:
Scen029_v05_AI_Files.zip - on Apr 14, 2011 9:03 AM by Web Master (version 1)
- Does this mean I should or should not download AI files at the same time as installing BigBabes_B? And where do I download and extract them to?
6) I presume that I need AB's extended map, so I went to his webpage and see that the mod is set up for use with the Jonesoft "Generic Mod Enabler" (GME)?
- I downloaded this, though the set up instructions are fairly tricky to follow. However I muddled through - confirmation of the normal process would help me though!
7) On Andrew's webpage: Extract the AE Extended Map Data and Structure file into your game directory
- I extracted the AE Extended Map Data and Structure.zip and that seems to work.
8) It then says: extract all four of the map art files into the new ART folder. The data files are already in the Extended Map v2 folder.
- Ok, so it says extract 'all four map art files' but which four? There are 2 each of Hexes, Non-hexes and Wif style, so you lost me at this point.
- What relevance is the statement that the data files are already in the Extended Map v2 folder?
Basically, I really need a step by step guide to this process, please. It seems that the mod scene is so in-depth that you've all developed into computer programmers and I'm not up to it! I've already got a headache doing this and it's not getting any better! :-( Sorry to be such a hassle.
< Message edited by Tuhhodge -- 10/31/2011 8:12:20 PM >