Map data file editor upgrade

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwbradley

Map data file editor upgrade

Post by dwbradley »

See the attached for the latest map data editing tools. There is quite a lot added since the last release. Highlights include:

Bug fixes: numerous, including one very nasty one that trashed your pwhexe.dat.

Sub-map and off-map editing: I have added two auxiliary editors that address the pwzone.dat and pwzlink.dat files.

The whole bag of stuff was greater than the 1Meg limit zipped so it is in two files. The second part is in the next message. Put the the two files in part 2 in the part 1 folder and you will be all set. You can rename and remove the part 1 if you want to. You should completely replace your existing editor folder(s) with this, moving over any map files in work of course.

Read the docs please and please note this is still a beta. Too much has changed for me to trust this completely. So back-up your stuff before using. I hope this proves useful. Comments both good and bad welcomed. Thanks.

Dave Bradley
Attachments
Map_data_e..rspart1.zip
(693.01 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
dwbradley

RE: Map data file editor upgrade-part 2

Post by dwbradley »

And here is the second part with the other two editors.

Dave
Attachments
Map_data_e..rspart2.zip
(820.8 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

You da man, Dave. Thank you.

If I see anything, I'b sure and let you know privately.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Thanks Dave.

Is there anyway to suppress some of the confirmations and "are you sure" messages? One does need to hit "Yes" and "OK" quite a lot...
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Thanks Dave.

Is there anyway to suppress some of the confirmations and "are you sure" messages? One does need to hit "Yes" and "OK" quite a lot...

Don,
I don't think there is any way for the user to do so at this time. I will write this down and consider what can be done to make it easier for the next release. One aspect that would make it more easily accomplished would be if there were an Undo button. It could be argued that a proper editor should have such a feature but this remains a simple and not terribly sophisticated utility. I will think about that too but it might mean a complete redesign. Still it is a fair comment and I thank you for it.

Dave
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Thanks again. [&o]

Just my opinion, but an Undo (while nice) is probably not worth the effort to create. The editor loads a local copy of the data files, so one can presume the player has copied them there and is not working on the originals. That and the simple precaution of an occasional save will take care of or minimize the majority of the player editing errors. Someone will always find a way to screw things up, no matter how much protection one builds in....

Dali

Post by Dali »

Very thanks Dave. Dali
Mifune

RE: Map data file editor upgrade

Post by Mifune »

As I have said before, Brilliant, reminds me of the Guiness commercial (that a good thing). Now with your favorite task of documentation is included.[:D] On a sidenote, good luck on race day.[8D]
Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.
Creeper

RE: Map data file editor upgrade

Post by Creeper »

Thank you, Dave. This version now works perfectly on my windows 7 system.
[&o] Creeper

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”