Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BIG guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> BIG guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BIG guns - 10/2/2011 6:46:01 PM   
british exil

IS it really worth the investment? I mean instead of building normal Art, switching to the heavy Art.?
Ok I know I have a further range of 3 hexes instead of 2. But is it worth the PP's of development compared to upgrading to ArtII?

What are your thoughts? Any experiences?

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Post #: 1
RE: BIG guns - 10/2/2011 8:55:35 PM   
Keunert

depending on the situation it can be an advantage to stay two hexes behind the frontline to keep out of recon.
if you place it in the second line the higher range gives you more targets without moving the artillery and thus losing action points.
if the scenario has counter battery fire you can evade this by using heavy artillery.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 2
RE: BIG guns - 10/2/2011 9:08:25 PM   
british exil

Thanks for your response.
At the moment I'm playing a random game so I doubt that counter battery fire is being used, but good to know.
The hidden aspect is also intersesting, staying out of sight and bombarding my enemy feels a little sneaky - but who said war was fair.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 3
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 9:08:32 AM   
Josh

Well I find Heavy Arty extremely efficient. I always start with Art I and II ofcourse, but very soon after that it's Heavy Arty II. A real Inf. killer in my experience. You have to use trucks or halftracks to move them though... and since it has happened in many games that my tanks were almost dry, that also means no Arty support if you're relying on trucks/halftracks... they can't move without oil.

Post #: 4
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 9:23:48 AM   
british exil

Josh Dank u wel.

Reading your post, I remembered the older threads of players wanting to move the heavy Art with horses but complained that it was not possible.

So I would have to invest in Art research plus transport building plus a lot of oil. Sounds more like a siege gun or defensive role to me.

But maybe I might give it a go.

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 9:54:31 AM   
rjh1971

Hi Mat

I have used the Big Guns to bombard you across a stretch of water and support my landing units. You will have to knock them from the air. So far they did not do to much harm on your units.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB

Post #: 6
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 11:12:15 AM   
british exil

You sneaky coward!!

I noticed that stalemate. You have put me in a pickle.

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 7
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 4:50:33 PM   
Keunert

it soothe's my insecurity to know that i have the bigger gun.

Post #: 8
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 4:58:21 PM   
Rander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Well I find Heavy Arty extremely efficient. I always start with Art I and II ofcourse, but very soon after that it's Heavy Arty II. A real Inf. killer in my experience. You have to use trucks or halftracks to move them though... and since it has happened in many games that my tanks were almost dry, that also means no Arty support if you're relying on trucks/halftracks... they can't move without oil.
You can move them with trains.

Bye!

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
RE: BIG guns - 10/3/2011 9:40:20 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rander

quote:

You can move them with trains.

Bye!

I must try this, thanks for the tip.
Edit: Do you actually transfer trains to the BG art unit and move them, or just use strategic movement with trains?

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 10/3/2011 9:41:13 PM >

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB

(in reply to Rander)
Post #: 10
RE: BIG guns - 10/4/2011 3:22:04 PM   
phatkarp

Rail artillery -- by actually placing the trains in the unit with the heavies. 

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 11
RE: BIG guns - 10/4/2011 5:17:20 PM   
Josh

I never tried it, read about it before but never tried it. Besides when they are stuck to the railgrid they won't get as fast Exp. as when they're tracked/wheeled. It's a good idea though. Maybe Vic could even introduce a new SFT "Heavy Railgun", really really expensive, uses loads of men, is stuck to the railgrid, and obliterates fortified positions.

(in reply to phatkarp)
Post #: 12
RE: BIG guns - 10/5/2011 12:04:48 AM   
Rander

quote:

rjh1971

I must try this, thanks for the tip.
Edit: Do you actually transfer trains to the BG art unit and move them, or just use strategic movement with trains?
Instead of trucks I put trains on the unit. Of course, then you can only move them on the railgrid, but for me it's enough.

Bye.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 13
RE: BIG guns - 12/30/2011 12:36:59 AM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

Maybe Vic could even introduce a new SFT "Heavy Railgun", really really expensive, uses loads of men, is stuck to the railgrid, and obliterates fortified positions.

Take your pick from this little lot:

http://germansecretweaponsnazi.devhub.com/blog/530461-karl-gert-redux/

http://germansecretweaponsnazi.devhub.com/blog/518786-28cm-kanone-auf-raupenlafette/

http://germansecretweaponsnazi.devhub.com/blog/466579-the-p1500-monster/

!

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> BIG guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI