Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! III 1/2- Tullius (Soviet) vs Marquo (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

TulliusDetritus

Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! III 1/2- Tullius (Soviet) vs Marquo (Axis)

Post by TulliusDetritus »

[center]Turn 1[/center]
[center]22 June 1941[/center]

LOL

Everytime I get a first turn I become a lab rat who only thinks about finding a way out! [:D]

It looks like Marquo hasn't sealed his pockets... I have already used the recon planes and I am pretty certain corridors will be open in his 3 Army Group Areas...
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! III 1/2- Tullius (Soviet) vs Marquo (Axis)

Yep, corridor in his AGN area. A Rifle Division is sacrificed or maybe they'll survive to tell the tale. Too bad the two pockets cannot be linked.

Attachments
NW.jpg
NW.jpg (203.68 KiB) Viewed 681 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

In his AGC area I almost opened a corridor which would have relieved (supply would have passed, routed if attacked) the trapped froces in the border. It could not be done. But at least one corridor was open.

Attachments
wes.jpg
wes.jpg (246.25 KiB) Viewed 681 times
TulliusDetritus

And that should have been the hardest thing to do. In the Southwestern Front I guess it's easier (the pocket is more ambitious therefore easier to break). A corridor is open near the Romanian border so fair enough.

Attachments
SW.jpg
SW.jpg (240.07 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Nice job breaking the pockets. I wish Marquo had learned a bit more from his previous experience in order to tighten up those 1st turn pockets and I am sure he learned more this time, but he will need some good followup turns to make up for it. I can't put enough emphasis that any would be German MUST work at perfecting the craft of creating good unbreakable pockets on turn 1.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Well....version 3.5 I guess [:D]  Good luck TD 
TulliusDetritus

This game I will really pay attention to the air war. On the first one I basically ignored it, that's the truth [:D] Suffice to say that I only started to pay attention to partisans in october 1941. Not a single transport or bomber flied to airdrop supplies and most important... vodka!

On the second and last game, yes, I had paid much more attention. Still, it could have been improved methinks.

So now no mistakes, please. I have almost completely organized the air force (I will need I guess 2 more turns to do that).

What I want in every Front (and this will be both a minimum and maximum, at least until the units in the National Reserve are decently trained and have morale >50):

1 x IAD = Fighters only
1 x SAD = Tactical Bombers only
1 x BAD = Level Bombers only
1 x VVS = Recon and Transport only*

*not enough VVS for everyone. Recon is indeed vital. So the really important fronts should get a VVS base and recon unit, obviously, to make sure I know where the enemy units are located. Leningrad/Northwest, Western and Southwestern.

And then we have the 4 BAK Air Commands. This time, yes, I will try to put them to good use. If they want their daily (or should I say weekly) vodka they will have to earn it!

1st BAK should cover the north approaches (Leningrad and Northwest Fronts)
3rd BAK should cover the western approaches (Kalinin and Western Fronts)
2nd BAK should cover the Bryansk and northern part of Southwestern Fronts
4th BAK should cover the southern part of Southwestern and Southern Fronts

Their mission? Two missions. Bombing armored spearheads and dropping supplies to isolated units, partisans. Always at night.

The transport units with a very short range will be placed in VVS air bases (in the front that is). They should supply isolated units and partisans as well.

If you have any other idea/s or think what I have written above is utter boll**** I am all ears [:)]
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Use your bombers to attack HQ's

Especially ones on their own in a hex
TulliusDetritus

Hmm, I know top leaders should be assassinated. The problem is: isn't sort of gamey? In theory intelligence should know where is Guderian for example, then prepare and launch a mission. The killing of Yamamoto in 1943 -when his Betty plane was intercepted in the Solomons by P-38s- proved to be a very complex -and yet successful- job.

So I really don't know if I want to do that. Now if you can convince me that this kind of mission could have been done almost every day...
TulliusDetritus

Now I have nothing against accidental deaths. If the German High Officers start slipping in the bathtub and break their necks... by all means, give me some of this, please! I would even bomb the trucks which carry the anti-slip stickers.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

If you want to be historical, then you could limit yourself to night attacks with the U2's.

You could also ignore massive, sweeping encirclements while you are at as well![;)]

Its not about killing leaders btw, its a good a way as any to kill troops, guns and AFV's
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Encircled

If you want to be historical, then you could limit yourself to night attacks with the U2's.

You could also ignore massive, sweeping encirclements while you are at as well![;)]

Its not about killing leaders btw, its a good a way as any to kill troops, guns and AFV's

Alrite, Encircled, HQ's will be bombed as well. Thanks [8D]

Strategy. I could paste here what I wrote on my 1st and 2nd (and the 3rd false start) AARs... Because the strategy will always be the same: protect Moscow and Leningrad and preserve the Red Army. Making sure, of course, that I can evacuate the industry.

BUT, there is small change. When I say "send everything to the center"... I mean it! Have you seen all the [Soviet] white units (STAVKA) in the south? Then I railed the LOT OF THEM! [:D] This time it's going to be different. Yes, the Stavka Armies in the south will be sent to protect Moscow approaches: 16, 19, 21. BUT the independent corps will stay in the south to reinforce basically the Southwestern Front. Except the 45th Rifle Corps, which has been sent to the center and is covering the Dnper south of the land bridge.

These independent units make like 12 divisions (I haven't counted them). A respectable force. But hey, if I see I am hard pressed in the center I will rail these divisions to the north. No sh*t Sherlock! He who defends everything defends nothing. I am not interested in putting a good fight everywhere to lose in the end Leningrad and Moscow. No thanks. I have my priorities. I could be utterly wrong by the way but I will always stick to this simple plan (until proven utterly wrong). I don't like to spread my forces, I concentrate them.
TulliusDetritus

Ok, dispositions in the North. Not enough units to put in the path of Panzers.

Attachments
NW.jpg
NW.jpg (225.28 KiB) Viewed 683 times
TulliusDetritus

Dispositions in the Center. The mighty 16th Army arrived from Ukraine and is covering the landbridge. She is strong! Many units start to cover the Dnper too. On next turn I will be able to mass many more units (frozen now): 19, 20, 21, 22 and 24 Stavka Armies.

Attachments
west.jpg
west.jpg (311.62 KiB) Viewed 681 times
TulliusDetritus

And finally the Southwest. Do you see that white Tank unit SE of Rovno? It's a frozen unit. I would have formed my first defensive live following that axis (north-south)... but... on my other game (17 first turns of the GC) Northern Star managed to slaughter the units on that line. The panzers soft factor (fuel) is still in the GREEN, therefore I have to be cautious, especially when this front will NOT get lots of reinforcements [;)]

Here what I'd need is Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus aka "Cunctator"... "The Delayer" that is [:D] The guy appointed as dictator after the Battle of Lake Trasimene and before the Cannae disaster. He became famous and earned that nickname because he systematically avoided any decisive fight vs Hannibal. Small skirmishes and harrassing the enemy, that's all. And he was probably right.

Attachments
SW.jpg
SW.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 681 times
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

That's a very expensive rearguard TD. Very much like Fabius used as rearguard triarii furnished with golden armor :P
TulliusDetritus

No Triarii in the Soviet Red Army '41 [:(] Only weak Hastati, Velites and Auxilia.

And what rear-guard are you talking about? The one trapped near Lvov or the one running away?
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

No Triarii in the Soviet Red Army '41 [:(] Only weak Hastati, Velites and Auxilia.

TOTAL WAR ROME!!!! YEAH! [:'(]
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Those forts is what I am thinking he is referring to. Lot of easy armaments points going away there. 
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Those forts is what I am thinking he is referring to. Lot of easy armaments points going away there. 

Oh, I see. My bad. As long as I keep the enemies out of Rome it should be ok. But of course I love feeding the sacred geese of Juno. Not to mention the two Urban Legions... [;)]

Return to “After Action Reports”