Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD allowed when flare sent)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD allowed when flare sent) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD all... - 10/2/2011 3:32:55 PM   
Marquo

I was going to press on with move 2, but then the armament drain issue surfaced, so we patched and restarted. This is my first game as the Axis; I am playing with the experience of playing as the Soviet. First off, except for Leningrad, the northern map is a wasteland and a logistical nightmare. For historical reasons, TD feels compelled to guard the Finnish border with a regular Army, not small brigades,etc. Therefore, I will press there only if he allows, and I think he will because my main thrust will be in the south, where I plan on decimating anything and everything in my path, as I drive to capture every manpower generating center, and as much armament and industry as possible. I will take what I can in the center (many prisoners), but the battle cry is, "Grozny or Bust."

I created a mega-Lvov pocket, which he may break open, but it means little as I want him to advance into the vortex. The Kovel pocket will not be opened. The frontier and Minsk pockets will not be opened. In the north Riga is captured, the Dvina crossed, and a nice pocket formed. Again the goal in not to necessarily capture Leningrad or Moscow, rather to cripple Soviet manpower to dilute the blizzard offensive.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 3:35:43 PM   
Marquo

AGN. Riga falls and the Dvina is crossed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marquo -- 10/2/2011 3:36:15 PM >

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 3:37:46 PM   
Marquo

Kovel pocket is tight as a drum

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 3:44:37 PM   
Marquo

The Lvov pocket always risks some poroity, but I will allow TD to advance as much forward as he wants. I will herd the surrounded units away from RRs, and let them wither on the vine; I divert minimal resources to attacking them; the longer they stay on the map the later he will get them back. Maybe I will lure him into Roumania so he can trigger the Italians and Hungarians to release and move up sooner.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 6:46:57 PM   
Flaviusx

A much better opening this time, but the Lvov pocket is still leaky. Supply can be reestablished by Borschev simply by moving divisions on either end of it and flipping over control by ZOCs.

I think perhaps you might be better off, if you're not certain you can make that pocket air tight, to drive towards Proskurov and wreck the Soviet rail infrastructure. This is the "delayed" pocket alternative and will prevent the Soviet from getting the units out by rail or even overland movement. Done correctly it may even be more effective than a turn 1 pocket.

Your AGN opening is practically textbook. I'm mildly concerned about the gap between Slonim and Ivastsevichi in AGC, but doubt the Sov has enough movement to reopen that. Depends what's in the swamps nearby.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 8:33:29 PM   
Northern Star

Can you post the air losses please? I'm making some tests with the new patch, and I'd like to know if you hit the airfields near Vitebsk and Smolensk. I didn't manage to hit them, and I'd like to improve a bit.

I took away some planes in the center and transferred them in the south, here are my results. Do you think they are good?

Attachment (1)

Glauben. Kämpfen. Siegen! (from the movie “Battle of the Bulge”)

War in the East Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/2/2011 8:46:14 PM   
Marquo

The air losses are better than mine; I will post when I get my turn back. BTW, I concenrtrate on recon/level bombers/tact bombers and high quality fighter; I ignore the others.

(in reply to Northern Star)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/6/2011 4:15:19 AM   
Marquo

TD is pulling back all along the front; my approach will be to advance as far as logistics will allow; I will encircle rather than attack any pickets and stragglers; they will be emprisoned rather than booted backwards. Also, I am saving my APs as much as possible for now. Smolensk and Mogilev armaments are history.

Approaching Pskov and making more pockets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marquo -- 10/6/2011 4:23:51 AM >

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/6/2011 4:17:06 AM   
Marquo

Pockets in the center, and Mogilev falls - turn 2.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/6/2011 4:19:14 AM   
Marquo

Advancing in the South - cutting off pickets.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/6/2011 4:26:44 AM   
Marquo

BTW, many of the pink hexes which seem to allow for opening the pockets in these pictures cannot because there is no one near by - regiments moved by the open lanes and reconnoiter.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 11
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 12:29:54 AM   
Marquo

Turn 3 North

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 12
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 12:31:38 AM   
Marquo

T 3 Center; the panzers rest waiting for infantry. I am pocketing and destroying rather than attacking and routing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 13
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 12:33:32 AM   
Marquo

T3 South with Lvov and Vinnistia Pockets

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 14
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 12:35:22 AM   
Marquo

T3 Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 15
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 1:06:26 AM   
Northern Star

I'm following your AAR with interest because the evil TD is using the same strategy against me. I called it "multilayer defence" and it is made of many successive straight lines of defense. It was used a lot during the development. You should try to break these lines with infantry and then make the encirclements with the mobile divisions, and if an encirclement is successful, turn off the Luftwaffe while you surrender the divisions trapped, you will save a lot of precious planes for air supply missions

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 16
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 3:18:28 AM   
Marquo

As you can see, I am trying to do as you suggest. The hard part is trying not to get get overly ambitious with the encirclements as he is very good at wiggling out; I will get better with practice. I think that the one in the south is shut tight with another 16 units going to surrender next turn. I may not get very far east, as my goal is to decimate him on the field. He is already moveingarmament factories out like crazy - I may be wrong but the practice of letting the HI get sacrificied can't be good as they make the supplies which are turned into armaments.

Are you doing an AAR???

Thanks for the advice.

Marquo :-)

Post #: 17
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 2:36:29 PM   
Northern Star

Maybe I'll do an AAR, but at the moment TD is not willing to write something about me, so I don't know if it is fair to have only one AAR.

In my game he didn't do his defence line at Vinnitsa because I hurt him much more in the 1st turn, he did that between Zhitomir and Odessa, and he's starting another line behind the rivers west of Kiev.

I'll post soon a screenshot :)
Are you playing a traditional or a server pbem?

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 3:15:42 PM   
Marquo

Thanks I would love to see how you are handling him; I take it you are a play tester or developer. I am playing PBEM at TD's request. I perfer the server, but I have to admit that pbem gives me the opportunity to save before I advance the turn and then I have situation map and commander's report to ponder over while waiting my turn.

Interestingly enough on turn 3 I already outnumber him....FWIT.

Marquo

Post #: 19
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 5:13:00 PM   
sath

How did you get so many Russian planes on turn 1 my best effort is putting around 4k or so destroyed. for about the same losses on my side.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 20
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 10:34:33 PM   
Northern Star

Try to destroy with the Ju-88 and He-111 the furthest air bases, and with the short range bombers the closest ones. I also transferred some He-111 to the air base in Rumania to destroy more planes in the south.
However I'm ashamed to admit I couldn't destroy the air bases near Vitebsk and Smolensk

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 21
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 10:47:14 PM   
Northern Star

This is the situation during the German turn 3, I still have not moved the panzers yet. Infantry has already been moved.
He usually builds his defence lines with the best units, so in the 2nd turn I managed to surrender a lot of his tanks

North and center

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/9/2011 10:52:13 PM   
Northern Star

South

Oops... I was wrong about the panzers. I moved only 1 panzer division so far, the one who took Mogilev. He left there and in Minsk a lot of plants, I couldn't resist to destroy them

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 4:12:32 AM   
Marquo

In the north Pskov is outflanked and a pocket is threatened; this is not a main thrust but I will take what he gives me; in general I am not trying to simply push him back rather surround and destroy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marquo -- 10/10/2011 4:13:01 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 4:17:44 AM   
Marquo

In the center the pocket was opened again but it matters little as there now more units in to be surrendered and not routed. The Dnepr is crossed in 2 places so this will give him food for thought - again I hope he feeds more units into the center - the plan is to pocket and destroy; he is already evacuating armament factories like crazy. However, I will get much HI which will hurt the supplies needed to make make armaments and he won't have many men to outfit for quite some time, at least that is the plan.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 25
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 4:24:40 AM   
Marquo

In the South the Lvov pocket is being reduced and the Vinnistia pocket was opened by a powerful armor division - no matter as this has only sucked more hapless Soviet units into the expanding malstrom as the panzers form an even bigger kessel. Also, massive reinforcements are sent here. I notice that many current AARs show 1/2 of AGC's armor sent south; instead I am sending tons of infantry so that he will still think that north and center have some importance for me. I am driving to capture as much manpower as possible; I will raid as far east and south as possible while preparing for the winter and 1942.

There are now over 40 units surrounded and to be destroyed soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marquo -- 10/10/2011 4:28:09 AM >

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 26
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 12:53:22 PM   
Northern Star

Your pocket in the south looks nice but a bit leaky... TD has a tank and a motorized division near it.

Have you supplied your divisions by air at the beginning of the turn? Have they enough fuel to move in case TD manages to break the pocket again?

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 27
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 2:13:08 PM   
Marquo

I have been air supplying at the end rather than the beginning of the turn - is this sequence mixed up? Also, my mtz unit at the tip of the pocket has 3 SUs directly attached and is pretty strong (IIRC defense CV of 9), and his nearby units are very weak. Frankly he can feed as much as he wants into the growing pocket; I am still moving South and East and at some point he will completely crack. As it is we have have about equal manpower.

In fact, I am pretty much attaching all my SUs to various units; this takes the vagary of the leader die roll out of the equation and as long as one of the attacking divisions corps has SUs, then I am sure to get them committed. This is new tactic I have decided to try out.

He seems to be getting alot of movement interdiction; how does he do it and how to stop it? For an experiment I turned my figher interception up to 180 and to fight fire with fire, my interception up to 200.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Northern Star.

Marquo

Post #: 28
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 2:16:44 PM   
Marquo

Also, notice that next move I can clear all the way to Kiev if I choose; I will move in the path of least resistance as long as it is east or southeast - my objective: destroy his army in the field. Routing and punting his units backwards only to rally and form new lines is not the order of the day.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 29
RE: Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD... - 10/10/2011 2:28:36 PM   
olivier34

your motor pool looks good. Do you plan some HQ buildup the next turn ?

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Axis Lambs to the Slaughter_Marquo vs TD Part 2 (TD allowed when flare sent) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI