Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Iowa Guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> USS Iowa Guns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 2:18:33 PM   
Bullwinkle58

In contrast to the excellent slew of pix from the USS North Carolina, this is what the main armament of USS Iowa, in mothballs, looks like now. Having duct tape stand in for proper tompions is a travesty.

More at http://www.scotthaefner.com/beyond/mothball-fleet-ghost-ships/

Attachment (1)

The Moose
Post #: 1
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 3:28:43 PM   
String

that's some pretty wide ducttape there

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 3:56:00 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

that's some pretty wide ducttape there

Five strips wide. What's the prob?

The Moose

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 4:01:50 PM   
Chickenboy

Interesting pictures, Bull. Thanks for posting.

Post #: 4
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 4:55:25 PM   
Lecivius

Duct tape <sigh>

Am I the only one embarressed by this?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 5:21:19 PM   
Insano

embarassing yes but at least we still have her. What they did to the Big E is a stain on the nation's honor that can never be erased. Why can't America be proud of her naval tradition?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 6
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 5:36:11 PM   
sprior

Well, we've got nothing left over here post WWI, with the exception of the Caroline and Belfast - both light cruisers. Appreciate what you've got guys.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 7
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 5:46:39 PM   
Nikademus

Duct Tape fixes EVERYTHING! maybe we should use it on our National Budget

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 5:52:03 PM   
Insano

yes that's true Sprior. Good point.

Poor ol' Warspite.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 5:54:07 PM   
Nikademus

at least you 'blokes' preserved HMS Warrior. That was my favorite experience whilest in Merry ol' England (well that and the pub crawls)

Driving down the wrong side of the road whilst traversing your narrow stone wall shouldered roads in Wales was NOT a favorite experience.

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 10
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:01:57 PM   
LST Express

Should duct tape on a navy ship be called duck tape?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 11
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:02:14 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Duct tape <sigh>

Am I the only one embarressed by this?

No you are not. Duct tape deteriorates rapidly under UV. Every self respecting sailor knows this. It's a f...ing travesty.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 12
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:11:01 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Insano

embarassing yes but at least we still have her. What they did to the Big E is a stain on the nation's honor that can never be erased. Why can't America be proud of her naval tradition?

Sigh... The fact that one specific ship wasn't preserved doesn't constitute a "stain on a nation's honour"...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 13
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:24:24 PM   
bjfagan

While I agree that the duck tape does look bad, if proper tompions were put in place, I bet they would be stolen in a matter of days.

On a good note, the Iowa has been approved by the Navy to come here to Los Angeles as a new museum. So it will be saved and most definitely proper tompions used. However, I believe final financing needs to completed and some environmental reviews. But those are just steps in the process.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:26:05 PM   
che200

And the Iowa is being preserved IIRC. 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 6:33:38 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Insano

Sigh... The fact that one specific ship wasn't preserved doesn't constitute a "stain on a nation's honour"...

No...its not a stain....but it is irritating. Battleship lover that i am.......admittedly we have a plethera of preserved 'modern' battleships. (7 of 10 built still in existance). Its the unique specimens as well as their history that i look too. Texas is my favorite of course because she is unique and comes from the 'Dreadnought' era, the last of her kind. Enterprise would have been awesome as a one of a kind too. (A prewar CV) Better still as she was too old and damaged to get the post WWII modernizations that so altered the several Essex class examples preserved. Its equally disapointing to me personally that Saratoga was expended as she too was unique.

In the end though we can't whine too much.....the US has more preserved warships than you can shake a stick at....and we can't afford to keep em all in shape anymore to boot! Talk about a Reality Check. Now we know why other nation's like the UK simply couldn't afford the luxery of preserving tired old veterans like Warspite regardless of their proud service records. I hope someone with deep pockets comes along to help keep the Olympia in existance.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 9:08:07 PM   
dr.hal

Where is the Iowa??? I walked on her deck in the Bremerton reserve fleet yard... not sure where she is now...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 17
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 10:00:03 PM   
Pascal

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Well, we've got nothing left over here post WWI, with the exception of the Caroline and Belfast - both light cruisers. Appreciate what you've got guys.

Yes, what Britain did to her WWII ship pool was a huge disgrace (you mean Cavalier, BTW, don't you? A C-class destroyer in Chatham docks).

On the other hand, luckily some had enough pride to save Victory, Trincomalee, Unicorn, Warrior, Gannet, Holland 1, Ocelot, and Onyx.

Anyone visit the USS Salem (used for 'Graf Spee' in the movie "Battle of the River Plate") in Quincy, Mass.?

< Message edited by Pascal -- 9/28/2011 10:02:35 PM >

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 18
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 10:33:46 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Where is the Iowa??? I walked on her deck in the Bremerton reserve fleet yard... not sure where she is now...

I would recco that anyone interested in this one pic of the Iowa go to the link and look at ALL the photos and read the story. The next time you hear "mothball fleet" think of those interiors.

I walked the decks of USS Sperry when she was new. She looked different then. She'll never, ever sail again given what I see in the photo. At this point these vessels are an environmental bomb waiting to melt into that harbor. They need to be scrapped.

USS Iowa excepted perhaps.

The Moose

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 19
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/28/2011 11:15:27 PM   
wdolson

I read the whole article.  Fascinating, though I wish he had more information about what ships the pictures were taken on.  It looks like the Iowa is the only warship in that fleet.  Most look like auxiliaries. 

I've been by the mothball fleet near Bremerton a few times and there are some good shots from above in the "Above Washington" video PBS did about 20 years ago.  I went aboard the Missouri in 1976 when I was up here on vacation with my parents (I later moved to Washington).  When I was there the mothball fleet had a lot of WW II vintage ships and the docent on the Missouri said the smaller ships were dangerous to get on board and were in danger of sinking.  They were all scrapped not long after that.

The Missouri was put back in action by Reagan, but I don't think any of the rest of the fleet was capable of getting any further than the scrap yard.  When the the Over Washington video was made the mothball fleet had 3-4 conventional powered carriers.  From the shore, they looked good, but from the air, the decks looked to be in very bad shape.

Even though most of those ships are in poor condition and are being scrapped, I'm glad someone is documenting them before they are gone.

Oh and about preserving warships.  I hope the Olympia gets saved.  It would be terrible if that ship got scrapped.  I think it's also terrible that the Enterprise was scrapped, but in the 1950s a lot fewer people cared about preserving war relics than they do now.  The people who were of age to contribute to saving those relics were mostly just trying to forget the war.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 20
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 12:19:56 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal

quote:

Yes, what Britain did to her WWII ship pool was a huge disgrace (you mean Cavalier, BTW, don't you? A C-class destroyer in Chatham docks).

On the other hand, luckily some had enough pride to save Victory, Trincomalee, Unicorn, Warrior, Gannet, Holland 1, Ocelot, and Onyx.

Anyone visit the USS Salem (used for 'Graf Spee' in the movie "Battle of the River Plate") in Quincy, Mass.?

I used to think that way, but after talking to the curator of HMS Warrior about all those scrapped ships I ate some humble pie. When i asked why they weren't preserved he just chuckled and asked how could they?....there were so many more important concerns immediately post war and there was simply no resources that could be spared.

Basically the situation the US is finding itself in now as we struggle to find pockets to maintain and increase our aging collection of preserved warships.

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 21
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 2:33:37 AM   
Chickenboy

Wasn't "Magnum Force" filmed on some of the mothballed CVEs around the SF Bay area? IIRC, there was a motorcycle chase on one of the decks and a shootout below decks.

Even then (early 1970s), the decking looked rough. I assume that those have all been scrapped by this time.

ETA: Looks like that was Rabaul and Badoeng Strait-neither of which saw active duty in WWII, although the latter was involved in the Korean conflict.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/29/2011 2:39:14 AM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 22
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 4:35:54 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

at least you 'blokes' preserved HMS Warrior. That was my favorite experience whilest in Merry ol' England (well that and the pub crawls)

Driving down the wrong side of the road whilst traversing your narrow stone wall shouldered roads in Wales was NOT a favorite experience.

Back in 2003, we were in Wales, my wife was driving and we came to this sharp turn in the road. On the right was a vertical stone retaining wall covered in ivy, on our side was a stone guardrail about door height. This lorry came around the curve. The driver saw the look on my wife's face and you could see him laughing. He knew his driving. He had that truck hugging the retaining wall. When we went by him there was about 1 inch of clearance between the sideview mirror on my door and the stone guardrail

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 23
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 4:48:30 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks for the link Bullwinkle.  That is horrible, if it would of been a person in a nursing home heads would of rolled.  SMH

doc

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 24
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 5:30:26 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Wasn't "Magnum Force" filmed on some of the mothballed CVEs around the SF Bay area? IIRC, there was a motorcycle chase on one of the decks and a shootout below decks.

Even then (early 1970s), the decking looked rough. I assume that those have all been scrapped by this time.

ETA: Looks like that was Rabaul and Badoeng Strait-neither of which saw active duty in WWII, although the latter was involved in the Korean conflict.

Yup...and even as a wee lad I salivated at the thought of being able to just walk onto a mothballed warship and go exploring.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 5:31:53 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Back in 2003, we were in Wales, my wife was driving and we came to this sharp turn in the road. On the right was a vertical stone retaining wall covered in ivy, on our side was a stone guardrail about door height. This lorry came around the curve. The driver saw the look on my wife's face and you could see him laughing. He knew his driving. He had that truck hugging the retaining wall. When we went by him there was about 1 inch of clearance between the sideview mirror on my door and the stone guardrail

I'm sure the driver BEHIND me wasn't laughing when i slammed on the brakes suddenly upon reaching my very first multi lane Round-About.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 26
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/29/2011 5:35:17 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I'm sure the driver BEHIND me wasn't laughing when i slammed on the brakes suddenly upon reaching my very first multi lane Round-About.

A doddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

< Message edited by sprior -- 9/29/2011 5:36:24 PM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 27
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/30/2011 2:11:33 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal

quote:

No he meant Caroline (she is in Belfast as an RNR HQ ship I believe - the last survivor of Jutland). He forgot Cavalier. There are also a couple of sloops on the Thames that are HQ ships for different organisations.

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/30/2011 2:12:06 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 28
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/30/2011 4:41:26 PM   
sprior

There are also lots of hard-chine MTBs used as house boats around the coast. I did forget the Cavalier, I remember sailing around her when she was moored up in Plymouth Sound in 1977 next to the Eagle.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 29
RE: USS Iowa Guns - 9/30/2011 10:33:15 PM   
Whipple

Duct tape is like the force:

- It has a light side.
- It has a dark side.
- It holds the universe together.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> USS Iowa Guns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI