Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/24/2011 5:36:54 PM   
halder252

Age of Rifles is an old game that is no longer published, it has become abandonware, but every site I've tried to download it from doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in playing it and I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/24/2011 6:27:39 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: halder252

Age of Rifles is an old game that is no longer published, it has become abandonware, but every site I've tried to download it from doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in playing it and I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=age+of+rifles&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to halder252)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/24/2011 9:55:24 PM   
apathetic lurker

lol........dont think he was expecting that

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/25/2011 7:24:52 PM   
redcoat

halder252,

getting Age of Rifles to run on a modern PC is usually more difficult than getting a copy of the game. I believe that most people who still play it use DOSBox or D-Fend.

If or when you get the game there are hundreds of player-designed scenarios for it. A good source of scenarios is the Games Depot at the Wargamer. The Yahoo! Age of Rifles group is a good source of even more scenarios. It also has a large number of player-designed campaigns – especially for the American Civil War. The group can also be used to find technical advice and PBEM opponents.

redcoat

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/25/2011 11:51:20 PM   
ilovestrategy

That game RULES!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 12:20:37 AM   
apathetic lurker

needs to be updated...ASAP

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 1:08:39 AM   
sulla05

I'm torn, because if I think it was remade I would die from sheer ecstasy.

Although depending on who did it. It might come with one battle and 150 DLCs.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 2:17:54 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I'm torn, because if I think it was remade I would die from sheer ecstasy.

Although depending on who did it. It might come with one battle and 150 DLCs.

Oh please. It would be two battles and 150 DLCs.

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 8
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 4:27:21 PM   
apathetic lurker

Not if Matrix remade it...

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 9
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 8:23:21 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I hear it's being updated as a new FPS on XBox 360 !.... (just kidding !)

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 10
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/26/2011 11:05:06 PM   
ezz

Strategic Wargames development suite.

Having researched the potential of the old game 'AGE OF RIFLES 2' and looked at the demand flow within the parameters of market penetration within a niche-core old-skool, segment section we have these conclusions for the board.

1. The game requires significant re-imaging. A top down 2d game is inconceivable. Its almost laughable that anyone would have even made it originally.

2. The idea of using the time frame 1846 - 1905 is intriguing. We have had some limited success with this period, from all the Pirates of the Caribbean media generation.
Therefore we believe we can utilise this time frame, but may need to game it up to say, 2245AD, to broaden market appeal.
The 1898 scenario will feature giant Zeppelins armed with poison gas and maxim style machine guns {but with laser sights}. The Sudan scenario will have players riding on fast camels..possibly robot ones?

3. Obviously this will be a FPS. But with cool 'old skool' uniforms. EG a 7th cavalry outfit {now renamed Custer's legions of Mars}. The range of weapons will include a basic 20 shot pistol, all the way up to a shoulder mounted mini death star.

4. To capture the original spirit of the title we believe that players should have a tactical planning screen before entering FPS mode. Naturally this will be full 3d, RTS. Players plot the various commands on the radar map and move units there to locations where they can obtain power ups. {There may well be scope to add a tower defence aspect to the game. Rorke's Drift is just made for this!}

5. All usual elements of our factory-line games will be available. Sniper's rifle. Medi- packs. All terrain vehicles, anti grav harness, health monitor, magic spells and so on.
But what will make this game really stand out in the crowded FPS/RTS market will be its follow the missile camera, Sunbursts , texture of the grass and 50 player hunt the flag death match mode.

We recommend the board approve this title.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/27/2011 3:11:47 AM   
parusski

I have a copy--SOMEWHERE. If I locate the game I will let you know. Of course the only thing you get will be AAR's as I play it.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to halder252)
Post #: 12
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/27/2011 5:12:06 AM   
n01487477

quote:

Thanks

I don't think you looked too hard. A 5 min search got me a download - I'm unsure forum rules allow me to reveal the site; even if it is abandoned.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to halder252)
Post #: 13
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 7:27:55 AM   
Hertston

Those e-bay prices seem quite reasonable compared with many old titles. As has been said, though, the biggest problem is getting it to run, not getting hold of it in the first place.

(in reply to halder252)
Post #: 14
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 11:36:26 AM   
Perturabo

If you don't want the box and the manual, please don't buy it. It will be another antique lost for collectors. I'm pretty sure it's on at least one copy on one of the abandonware sites.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=age+of+rifles&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Please refrain yourself from doing things like this when people ask for a download location. It hurts vintage game collectors like me. Thanks.
There are only several copies of many old games left on sale and it would be a shame if they would be wasted on non-collectors who could play the abandonware version instead.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 9/29/2011 3:05:05 PM >

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 5:21:05 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

If you don't want the box and the manual, please don't buy it. It will be another antique lost for collectors.

The manual is on the web here:

http://hadberz.stormloader.com/AOR.html

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 16
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 5:45:48 PM   
Perturabo

I meant box and manual like in a collector's item.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 17
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 7:20:26 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Having researched the potential of the old game 'AGE OF RIFLES 2' and looked at the demand flow within the parameters of market penetration within a niche-core old-skool, segment section we have these conclusions for the board.

1. The game requires significant re-imaging. A top down 2d game is inconceivable. Its almost laughable that anyone would have even made it originally.

2. The idea of using the time frame 1846 - 1905 is intriguing. We have had some limited success with this period, from all the Pirates of the Caribbean media generation.
Therefore we believe we can utilise this time frame, but may need to game it up to say, 2245AD, to broaden market appeal.
The 1898 scenario will feature giant Zeppelins armed with poison gas and maxim style machine guns {but with laser sights}. The Sudan scenario will have players riding on fast camels..possibly robot ones?

3. Obviously this will be a FPS. But with cool 'old skool' uniforms. EG a 7th cavalry outfit {now renamed Custer's legions of Mars}. The range of weapons will include a basic 20 shot pistol, all the way up to a shoulder mounted mini death star.

4. To capture the original spirit of the title we believe that players should have a tactical planning screen before entering FPS mode. Naturally this will be full 3d, RTS. Players plot the various commands on the radar map and move units there to locations where they can obtain power ups. {There may well be scope to add a tower defence aspect to the game. Rorke's Drift is just made for this!}

5. All usual elements of our factory-line games will be available. Sniper's rifle. Medi- packs. All terrain vehicles, anti grav harness, health monitor, magic spells and so on.
But what will make this game really stand out in the crowded FPS/RTS market will be its follow the missile camera, Sunbursts , texture of the grass and 50 player hunt the flag death match mode.

Of course we'll have to apply the most complex and restrictive DRM scheme to it to protect our product against piracy.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to ezz)
Post #: 18
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 7:49:07 PM   
apathetic lurker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Of course we'll have to apply the most complex and restrictive DRM scheme to it to protect our product against piracy.

Don't forget the thousands of DLC packs we can foist on the adoring public.....

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 19
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/29/2011 8:11:37 PM   
Perturabo

Post #: 20
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/30/2011 10:08:22 AM   
jomni

If we get a new Age of Rifles, we cannot use the name anymore or else Matrix gets sued by Microsoft for using "Age of..."

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 21
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 9/30/2011 3:50:54 PM   
Hexagon

Try here http://www.myabandonware.com/game/wargame-construction-set-iii-age-of-rifles-1846-1905-2e2

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 22
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/2/2011 4:05:15 PM   
Greybriar

Amazon has Age of Rifles listed for as low as $5.99 for a used game.

Tsk tsk, Hexagon. Abandonware is not legal.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 23
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/2/2011 4:56:26 PM   
Perturabo

Damn, seeing these prices (no, not the ones for the useless CDs) reminds me that I'm rather unhappy now because I'll have to drop my game collector habit because I lost my scholarship and now all the money I earn goes to pay for my studies. I hate when stuff like this happens - I have to work and get stressed out so that I could to work and get stressed out even. *sigh*
It's not going to end well.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 24
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/2/2011 7:48:37 PM   
Hexagon

Depends, is a question of laws and every country is a world, but apart this if somebody release a DD version with no bugs ready for modern OS and with all the scens created for the game i pay for it sure if dont want 50$ for it 

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 25
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/2/2011 8:04:26 PM   
Hexagon

SOOOOOOORRY!!!!! wrong threat

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 10/3/2011 9:32:19 AM >

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 26
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/3/2011 2:55:56 AM   
rhondabrwn

Start a campaign to get GOG (Good Old Games) to add it to their product line.

How many threads have there been over the years on the subject of Age of Rifles? It comes up over and over again that a lot of people want this game remade. Every time someone starts a favorite game thread... Age of Rifles is there. Every time a thread gets started with "games I would like to see"... numerous people will list Age of Rifles.

I've never understood why some developer didn't get the hint and develop a very similar game (even if they can't get the legal rights to the title "Age of Rifles") - time period, scale, scenarios could be utilized. A conversion utility to translate the library of user created scenarios for AOR should be quite easily developed.

Just a few thoughts.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 27
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/3/2011 12:24:24 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

How many threads have there been over the years on the subject of Age of Rifles? It comes up over and over again that a lot of people want this game remade. Every time someone starts a favorite game thread... Age of Rifles is there. Every time a thread gets started with "games I would like to see"... numerous people will list Age of Rifles.

I've never understood why some developer didn't get the hint and develop a very similar game (even if they can't get the legal rights to the title "Age of Rifles") - time period, scale, scenarios could be utilized. A conversion utility to translate the library of user created scenarios for AOR should be quite easily developed.

Just a few thoughts.

You’ve knocked the nail on the head.

quote:

There is a company called Digital Ostrich which has been selling copies of Age of Rifles and Tanks! on e-bay. Apparently the games are easy to install and run on modern computers. James Cobb has investigated the company and is satisfied that they are legit.

Norm Koger has said in the past that he is happy if people download his old unsupported games from ‘Abandonware’ sites – with the cavaet that they do so at their own risk. After a quick search I came up with a couple of references regarding Norm Koger and abandonware: in a newsgroup here and on Norm Koger’s website here. The trouble with ‘abandonware’ sites is that some/many/most may be distributing games without permission. When they do this they are no better than pirate sites. Moreover, if you download a game from such a site you run the risk of getting much more than you bargained for. Some people from the Age of Rifles Yahoo! group have had viruses after going down the abandonware route.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 28
RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? - 10/4/2011 8:34:20 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

Just a few thoughts.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Rhonda, how is retirement treating you?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI