Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two ways to make this game much better

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Two ways to make this game much better Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two ways to make this game much better - 9/20/2011 5:28:13 PM   
gwgardner

I've posted about this before, but this time I'm going to ask if anyone out there has an idea how to do this either with 1) a mod, 2) house rules.

implement:

time at sea - whereby a ship group starts to take a major loss in effeciencey, or even starts to get automatic hits to simulate the need for maintenance, after x number of turns at sea.

distance from major port - whereby a capitol ship would take an efficiency loss (or again hits to simulate that) for being too far from a level 8 or 10 friendly port.

I think these two additions to the game would make it much more realistic. Any ideas on how to implement these, without requiring the development team to get involved?

[later] Historically it took the Japanese strike force two weeks to get within range of Pearl Harbor (correct me if I'm wrong). It left for Hawaii on Nov 26. After action there, it returned straightaway to home port, not due to damage, but for maintanence, refueling, reorg in preparation for the next action; That's what I'd like to see in SoP to make it more realistic, forcing players to play more realistically. Right now I could park a Japanese carrier force off San Diego, and leave it there permanently.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 9/20/2011 6:21:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Two ways to make this game much better - 9/21/2011 5:39:31 AM   
Rasputitsa

I agree with the proposal, with the exception of submarines where a unit could be considered as several boats, where individual boats return to port and others take their place, to maintain the strength of the unit.

I have no immediate answer, apart from to note the later use of more capable replenishment, that would allow units to remain in sea areas for more turns than during the early war period. The USN developed this into an art, which should allow them to remain at sea for longer.

Without replenishment, or nearby port, a unit should lose efficiently, in that ships without fuel become unable to function, but rather than accumulating hits it should happen at the limit of range, with a one-off drop (but never to zero without combat). Players would be forced to return now vulnerable units to port, to avoid potential destruction.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Two ways to make this game much better Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI