Matrix Games Forums

War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:09:26 PM   
Chickenboy

Your Rufe and Nick research appear unnecessarily high in my opinion. Realistically, you could get by with zero research for these two units and just start producing them when they become historically available. For the Nick, that's 5/42. For the Rufe, it's 4/42.

I like your heavy emphasis on the Frank research.

Why no love for the B7A2 or the Ki-61-Ia lines?

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 91
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:15:22 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

28th December

Central Pacific

The screenie is the stand off patrol line. If it's in the wrong place, please let me know...

I-16 is no longer detected, so will move back inshore at Christmas Island. I-20 is in hex, but does not seem to be causing the same amount of trouble as I-16.

You just looking for convoys? I don't know where he is routing them, but by having your guys so concentrated once he finds them he can just route around them easily enough. At that range from Pearl Harbor he might even sniff them by air.

Can't tell from the screenie if you have them sitting or using patrol zones, but I highly recommend using patrol zones with react=1 for subs.

They are there to make a nuisance of themselves as he tries to sort out Pearl Harbor. I have them static with a reaction of 1 as I want a line with no gaps. I am trying to cover the direct routes to ports on the West Coast SF downwards.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 92
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:19:15 PM   
witpqs

Well if you are after damaged ships I figure your subs are faster, so you can still use patrol zones to widen your search area. The same applies to coverage - if he sniffs a sub by air (or however), there is no way he would send damaged ships through the area.

Post #: 93
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:21:27 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Your Rufe and Nick research appear unnecessarily high in my opinion. Realistically, you could get by with zero research for these two units and just start producing them when they become historically available. For the Nick, that's 5/42. For the Rufe, it's 4/42.

Hi mate. Thanks for that. I'll try to remember to sort out the Rufe/Nick next time. I just haven't looked at anything I am not going to concentrate production on. As regards the others, I am doing a little bit at a time so I can learn as I go. Am I not researching the first Tony? I was planning to switch that research over to the next model as I get closer to the first. Refresh me on the B7A2 please?

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 10/6/2011 4:23:02 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 94
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:26:41 PM   
goodboyladdie

CBI

Martin has B-17s in India. They have been trying to hinder my build up at Moulmein. That build up is complete enough to shock at Moulmein this turn. I will also attack the unit retreating from Tavoy, which incidentally fell this turn. I have not seen the AVG for ages, but I lost an Oscar 1b to a Buff over Moulmein today.

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 95
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:32:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

28th December

Central Pacific

The screenie is the stand off patrol line. If it's in the wrong place, please let me know...

I-16 is no longer detected, so will move back inshore at Christmas Island. I-20 is in hex, but does not seem to be causing the same amount of trouble as I-16.

You just looking for convoys? I don't know where he is routing them, but by having your guys so concentrated once he finds them he can just route around them easily enough. At that range from Pearl Harbor he might even sniff them by air.

Can't tell from the screenie if you have them sitting or using patrol zones, but I highly recommend using patrol zones with react=1 for subs.

They are there to make a nuisance of themselves as he tries to sort out Pearl Harbor. I have them static with a reaction of 1 as I want a line with no gaps. I am trying to cover the direct routes to ports on the West Coast SF downwards.

By 'have them static', do you mean they're parked in their destination hex with orders to stay at their destination? I would recommend you set them to their singular hex destination with the 'patrol' function, reaction of 1 instead.

Post #: 96
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:34:01 PM   
Mike Solli

I would spread them out (1-2 hexes between each sub) to the SE. I've had quite a bit of luck catching convoys coming to Hawaii from directly to the east.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 97
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:35:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Hi mate. Thanks for that. I'll try to remember to sort out the Rufe/Nick next time. I just haven't looked at anything I am not going to concentrate production on. As regards the others, I am doing a little bit at a time so I can learn as I go. Am I not researching the first Tony? I was planning to switch that research over to the next model as I get closer to the first. Refresh me on the B7A2 please?

Your TBO.YTA cell entry for the Ki-61-Ia is zero. I don't use tracker, so I'm assuming that this is your pending research commitment to this unit?

The B7A2 Grace can serve as a replacement DB (or TB!) for your carrier TFs. It's got range up the ying yang and is a nice plane to use as a GP backstop for other production. Worth pulling forward in research certainly.

Post #: 98
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:36:35 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I would spread them out (1-2 hexes between each sub) to the SE. I've had quite a bit of luck catching convoys coming to Hawaii from directly to the east.

Ok Mike and Witpqs. I'll jiggle them around a bit. Thanks very much for taking the time to offer help, btw.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 99
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:38:54 PM   
Erkki

You seem to have one LCU moving NW instead of W and towards Moulmein in the hex W of Rahaeng. Is that intentional?

Post #: 100
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:39:31 PM   
Mike Solli

We bad boys have to stick together!

Chickenboy, the Grace can be used as a TB or DB?!

Post #: 101
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:42:31 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your TBO.YTA cell entry for the Ki-61-Ia is zero. I don't use tracker, so I'm assuming that this is your pending research commitment to this unit?

The B7A2 Grace can serve as a replacement DB (or TB!) for your carrier TFs. It's got range up the ying yang and is a nice plane to use as a GP backstop for other production. Worth pulling forward in research certainly.

I think I have about 80 R&D on the Tony, mostly repairing. I had not looked at the Grace as it is one beyond the generation of aircraft that I am trying to bring forward. At the moment, the Jill and Judy are my priorities. I will look at the Grace in a few months I think. Bringing the Frank forward was as big a reach I felt comfortable with at this stage, but I will certainly ponder it next time I have Tracker open, so thanks once again.

With regard to the Tony, do I actually need it if I have the Tojo?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 102
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:43:49 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

You seem to have one LCU moving NW instead of W and towards Moulmein in the hex W of Rahaeng. Is that intentional?

No. I saw that myself on the screenie, but missed it when I was playing the turn due to a one year old little girl causing distraction...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 103
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:47:58 PM   
Erkki

quote:

I think I have about 80 R&D on the Tony, mostly repairing. I had not looked at the Grace as it is one beyond the generation of aircraft that I am trying to bring forward. At the moment, the Jill and Judy are my priorities. I will look at the Grace in a few months I think. Bringing the Frank forward was as big a reach I felt comfortable with at this stage, but I will certainly ponder it next time I have Tracker open, so thanks once again.

Ki-61-Ia has better guns arrangement than the Ki-44 and its armored. Crap range though and not so fast or maneuverable. The Ki-61-Ic is IJAAF's first cannon-armed single engine fighter(not counting Ki-44-IIb with its super inaccurate 40mm caseless ammo cannons). Ki-61-Id then is possibly the worst of the series as air superiority fighter but its one of the best armed fighters Japan has, and service rate 2!

Post #: 104
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:51:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. You'll need both lines of fighters. The design / functional redundancy alone will be necessary.

As Erkki says, the armament differences in the late Tony models are fine for bomber intercept over improved airfields. However, in the mud and bombed wastleland of the forward air field, the '3' service rating of the Tony lines will be a liability, compared to the '1' Tojo service rating.

Post #: 105
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 4:52:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

We bad boys have to stick together!

Chickenboy, the Grace can be used as a TB or DB?!

Yes. Or so says the wisdom of the forum. Terminus confirmed this, for what it's worth.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 106
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/6/2011 10:52:54 PM   
PaxMondo

I'm playing Downfall scenario ... Grace is both TB/DB.  Great range.  No need for 2E's once you have it except for patrol. 800kg bomb or torp.  all you need.  and 1E.

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 107
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 9:33:50 AM   
goodboyladdie

I think I will have to look at all the little factories that are researching planes I will not build and change them over to the Grace...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 108
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 1:30:26 PM   
goodboyladdie

Martin's AAR is top of the page and the title displaying is Operation Rudyard. It is obviously something to do with India or is supposed to look like something to do with India. Either way, I don't care, as India does not feature in my plans. It could explain the fact that Singers appears to have been substantially evacuated and my Netties hit APs south of Sumatra heading towards India. If it does, I cannot believe my luck! I will hopefully be ashore in force at Palembang and threatening Java before Sir Knobin realises he has jumped the wrong way...

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 109
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 1:32:52 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'm playing Downfall scenario ... Grace is both TB/DB.  Great range.  No need for 2E's once you have it except for patrol. 800kg bomb or torp.  all you need.  and 1E.

Pax Old Bean, I have got to know if there is a bottom to that photo in your avatar? It leaves a lot to the imagination and my imagination is better left in it's box!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 110
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 3:22:13 PM   
goodboyladdie

Got a turn, but have not done it yet. Here are all the planes I am currently researching heavily, with another period fill-in for the gap...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 10/7/2011 3:24:43 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 111
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 3:24:34 PM   
goodboyladdie

And here are my next fighters to arrive. The Tojo has about 40 research factories on it. The Oscar will be built in smaller numbers just for long range work.

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 112
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 3:41:05 PM   
Erkki

I think you'd get the A6M5 a lot earlier if you R&D first M3(or M3a). R&D factories repair the faster the closer the arrival date is, and once the factory is completely repaired you can upgrade it to a model on the upgrade path without damage.

Post #: 113
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 3:54:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Got a turn, but have not done it yet. Here are all the planes I am currently researching heavily, with another period fill-in for the gap...

Sigh...what a lovely gap...

Post #: 114
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 3:57:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

These comparatives are helpful, GBL. Thanks for posting.

I hadn't realized that the Grace is faster than the A6M5!

Post #: 115
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/7/2011 11:00:58 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Pax Old Bean, I have got to know if there is a bottom to that photo in your avatar? It leaves a lot to the imagination and my imagination is better left in it's box!

I did do a little cropping ...

Pax

Post #: 116
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/9/2011 7:04:27 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please please please direct me to the original!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 117
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/9/2011 7:06:24 PM   
Mike Solli

Inquiring minds want to know.

Post #: 118
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/9/2011 7:08:25 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

I think you'd get the A6M5 a lot earlier if you R&D first M3(or M3a). R&D factories repair the faster the closer the arrival date is, and once the factory is completely repaired you can upgrade it to a model on the upgrade path without damage.

I am not so sure. You pay just as much on the "stepping stone" and are no closer to the fighter you actually want advanced. There is not a lot of difference in the dates in game turns either. Any money spent developing what I don't want is just wasted money in my book.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 119
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 10/9/2011 8:09:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please please please direct me to the original!

http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/portrait-98495.html

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI