Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 1:57:11 PM   
goodboyladdie

This will be an occasional AAR of the Jap side of the war against Dixie. House rules are minimal as Martin and I agree about most things. I will start off with a few screenshots of my economy as I am first time Jap player and could do with some help. Martin has been very helpful, but I feel it is not fair to ask him when we are at war. After that, I'll try to trawl my memory for a brief overview area by area.

Martin very kindly agreed to scenario 2.

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/20/2011 2:14:48 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie
Post #: 1
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:02:50 PM   
goodboyladdie

Here is the Tracker chart after turn 16. I will add more detail on the various things I am attempting with the economy as I update with new turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/20/2011 2:18:47 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 2
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:05:09 PM   
goodboyladdie

And here is the Tracker industry report. I do not really understand it all. If any of you JFBs out there spot any glaring errors I would appreciate a simple explanation as to how I have cocked up!

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 3
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:06:01 PM   
goodboyladdie

I have already increased vehicle production, btw...

I will take some screenshots when I next get a turn and try to do regional breakdowns when I can illustrate them. My one strategic focus is to take the DEI and Malaya for resources and oil. I have to take the PI to achieve this aim. My economy is the entire reason for going to war.

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/20/2011 2:13:21 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 4
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:23:43 PM   
Erkki

How are your naval and merchant shipyards, their production, and aircraft & engine production looking? Your HI is +2600 so looks like you have expanded them a little.

Post #: 5
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:54:55 PM   
goodboyladdie

Shipyards: Some small increases are being repaired. I will show what is accelerated when I get a turn

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 6
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 2:57:22 PM   
goodboyladdie

Current airframes: I have rationalised the types I am building to try to make the economy more efficient.

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 7
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:00:10 PM   
goodboyladdie

Engines: Definitely need help here. I did a lot of chopping and changing with this and r&d as I was trying to understand it and develop a coherent strategy...

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 8
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:02:06 PM   
goodboyladdie

R&D: Apologies for spreading it over posts - it is at least three years since my last AAR and my paint skills have faded...

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 9
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:03:11 PM   
goodboyladdie

R&D horror show part 2:

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 10
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:04:17 PM   
goodboyladdie

And the last drips...

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 11
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:08:25 PM   
goodboyladdie

I decided to go straight for the A6M5 because it is the first Zero (Zeke I guess) with reasonable durability. The A6M3a is just not a big improvement IMO. I think my r&d is too concentrated and should have been spread out over more factories. I will try to tinker some more before I waste too many supplies, but some guidance as to how to undo the mess would be appreciated.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 12
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:25:44 PM   
Erkki

Regarding the Zero: dunno if its a good idea to build A6M2 before you get the A6M5. The R&D factories repair the quicker the closer the type is, and you can upgrade the R&D factories to the next available plane. M3 still improves speed and high altitude maneuverability and M3a also has slightly better cannons.

Are you sure you dont want to build the Ha-31? Also note that you have 99 Nakajima Hikari engines: only 3 types use it, 2 are completely useless but the B5N1 has them too. Its only marginally worse than the B5N2 so there you have a chance to build 100 first rate strike aircraft at the cost of just 50, and then upgrade the factory(for free) to build the B5N2 that uses Ha-35.

About Netties... G4M1 is better than G3M2 (they both die like flies so main difference is normal range of 17 vs. 15) but the next model of G3M, the M3, has torpedo carrying range of 21! They almost never sortie that far against naval targets as is known but it can be used for naval search and long range port & airfields strikes. Where it also helps is you dont need to build so many Ha-32 engines(and expand their factories) that are used by many aircraft such as Ki-21 and H8K, later also J2M fighter.

Post #: 13
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:51:02 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

Regarding the Zero: dunno if its a good idea to build A6M2 before you get the A6M5. The R&D factories repair the quicker the closer the type is, and you can upgrade the R&D factories to the next available plane. M3 still improves speed and high altitude maneuverability and M3a also has slightly better cannons.

I need to think about this carefully. I just hate wasting resources on a "nothing" upgrade. I will need to have a good look at the upgrade paths

Are you sure you dont want to build the Ha-31? Also note that you have 99 Nakajima Hikari engines: only 3 types use it, 2 are completely useless but the B5N1 has them too. Its only marginally worse than the B5N2 so there you have a chance to build 100 first rate strike aircraft at the cost of just 50, and then upgrade the factory(for free) to build the B5N2 that uses Ha-35.

I guess that means I need to look at the Ha-31 too. What uses it? That B5N1 tip is a good one - I would never have seen that and I can just use the B5N1 on my CVL/Es to save confusion.

About Netties... G4M1 is better than G3M2 (they both die like flies so main difference is normal range of 17 vs. 15) but the next model of G3M, the M3, has torpedo carrying range of 21! They almost never sortie that far against naval targets as is known but it can be used for naval search and long range port & airfields strikes. Where it also helps is you dont need to build so many Ha-32 engines(and expand their factories) that are used by many aircraft such as Ki-21 and H8K, later also J2M fighter.

I was planning to keep the Nell factory for the M3 upgrade. I really need to get a handle on what engines I will need and in what quantity. PDU is on, so I get to choose the quantity I suppose. Thanks very much for the advice - now all I need is a turn to put it into practice!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 14
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 3:53:55 PM   
obvert

I also am just learning the dark side. The economy has only shut down once on me for a day when my resources were not meeting demands. Make sure as many resources are flowing in AS POSSIBLE. I've also found they sometimes don't move incredibly well to larger centers like Tokyo, and I have to bring them direct to Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Yokohama, and Kobe.

As for the Zero, I stupidly began to build the A6M3 when it became available, but no carrier groups upgrade to it, and I didn't research the A6M3a at all. I stopped that quickly. I have put all research for zeros into the A6M5.

I think you'll need more transports, like 20/month. More Jakes, like 30-40, if you plan to upgrade a lot of units to Jakes, and double your Kates and Vals if you plan any offensives in the next year with the KB.

I increased some HI in places on the coasts that always have good access to fuel and resources, like Hong Kong.

If anyone has advice for making sure Manchurian HI keeps enough fuel around to continuously produce I'd be happy to hear it. Mine shuts downs every once in a while even though 30,000 fuel is in Port Arthur and I've stopped using it as 'home port' for the convoys that go there. Anyone?

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 15
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 4:03:30 PM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie
I guess that means I need to look at the Ha-31 too. What uses it? That B5N1 tip is a good one - I would never have seen that and I can just use the B5N1 on my CVL/Es to save confusion.

Ha-31 is used by Ki-46-II,your IJAAF recce plane before the Ki-46-III which uses the Ha-33 as well as the Ki-57-II transport. Another tip engine tip similar to the B5N1 one: the Ki-57-I transport you are currently building uses the Ha-5 engine. However, even if you expand the factory, the Ki-57-II(which uses Ha-31) will probably arrive before you get to use all of the engines. In the industry screen, set the factory to not upgrade, and instead upgrade it manually to the 57-II once you're out of Ha-5s.

You dont need to build many Ha-31s but the existing Ki-46 reserves are small and you have lots of units flying the vulnerable Ki-15 you might want to upgrade. Something like 45-50 engines a month to be able to build the Ki-46 and some Ki-57 transports later. Ki-56 is imho better choice as it uses the Ha-35 engine you mass produce any way, and sooner or later you drop the Ki-43 in favor of better fighters so you will have some engine production surplus, from mid-42 or so onwards.

< Message edited by Erkki -- 9/20/2011 4:05:05 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/20/2011 4:07:06 PM   
Chickenboy

Looks like you've emphasized the research on most mid-war airframes of importance. A few recommendations:

1. I'd recommend looking at your B6N1 (secondary emphasis) and B6N2 (primary emphasis) research.
You've bumped up the D4Y1 research nicely, and you'll be wanting a replacment carrier TB for your aged B5N2 lines too-so recommend expediting the production / research on the Jills.

2. The B7A2 is dreamy, so some dedicated research there may be appropriate.

3. Since you're playing scenario 2, you get the Tojo IIa in June 1942. Nice. You may want to repurpose your research to other mid-later war fighter airframes in preference to such heavy research allotment to something that you'll get in 6 months.

In general, your IJAAF replacements look a little lean, but manageable. If you were playing scenario 1, I'd advise more Oscar Ic airframe production, but you may be OK with where you have it until the Tojo IIa comes into play.

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 17
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:49:57 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

I decided to go straight for the A6M5 because it is the first Zero (Zeke I guess) with reasonable durability. The A6M3a is just not a big improvement IMO. I think my r&d is too concentrated and should have been spread out over more factories. I will try to tinker some more before I waste too many supplies, but some guidance as to how to undo the mess would be appreciated.

Hey Carl,

Can you post some screenies around Malaya/Borneo/PI and other areas of conflict? What's your initial game plan? And what was your opening move - did you go after Pearl Harbor with KB or did you slam Manila?

It's been a while since I've had a chance to play a PBEM so if you don't mind, I'd like to sit in the back and peek over your shoulder <grin>.

Best of luck - I look 4ward to watching your exploits!

TTFN,

Mike

< Message edited by 1EyedJacks -- 9/21/2011 3:51:01 AM >

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 18
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 8:14:38 AM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Looks like you've emphasized the research on most mid-war airframes of importance. A few recommendations:

1. I'd recommend looking at your B6N1 (secondary emphasis) and B6N2 (primary emphasis) research.
You've bumped up the D4Y1 research nicely, and you'll be wanting a replacment carrier TB for your aged B5N2 lines too-so recommend expediting the production / research on the Jills.

2. The B7A2 is dreamy, so some dedicated research there may be appropriate.

3. Since you're playing scenario 2, you get the Tojo IIa in June 1942. Nice. You may want to repurpose your research to other mid-later war fighter airframes in preference to such heavy research allotment to something that you'll get in 6 months.

In general, your IJAAF replacements look a little lean, but manageable. If you were playing scenario 1, I'd advise more Oscar Ic airframe production, but you may be OK with where you have it until the Tojo IIa comes into play.

Thanks for the tips. I'll take some time on the next turn and get something going along those lines.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 8:26:28 AM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

Hey Carl,

Can you post some screenies around Malaya/Borneo/PI and other areas of conflict? What's your initial game plan? And what was your opening move - did you go after Pearl Harbor with KB or did you slam Manila?

It's been a while since I've had a chance to play a PBEM so if you don't mind, I'd like to sit in the back and peek over your shoulder <grin>.

Best of luck - I look 4ward to watching your exploits!

TTFN,

Mike

Hi Mike

Nice to see you. I'll take some screenies next turn. I am a bit disorganised and went mostly with the pre-programmed start because I did not know what else to do! Dixie has an AAR from the good guys side that has been running from the start. That will give you the best insight as my poor memory is not up to a blow by blow recall and I can't read his AAR to refresh it!

My basic plan is to concentrate on getting the DEI/Malaya resources. I established a sub cordon on the route from Singers to Java and every ship I hit seemed to have troops on so I think Martin has been evacuating Singapore. I hope so as a long battle there can throw the JFB timetable. When I get a chance to post a screenie of the area you'll see that I am just looking to control the sea/air in the area to allow a "hail Mary" (I think that is what you septics call it anyway - more like a hairy Mary in this case...). I am very frustrated about how long it takes to move my forces down through Malaya. If I play the dark side again I will be programming Kuantan landings by about day 3 and Mersing landings from about day 5 once I have suppressed Singers. I will also be going for 2 day turns as one dayers piss me off...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 20
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 2:34:00 PM   
goodboyladdie

Here are some pieces of information from the latest file. I do not believe any of the BBs are sunk, btw. For Portland, read Houston.

There was a gap, so I used a 1933 photograph to fill the space - That makes it appropriate, not inappropriate Mr Moderator, honest...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/21/2011 3:11:12 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 21
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:08:55 PM   
Ketza

Wow a Random hottie pic in the middle of all that data.

Subscribed!

Post #: 22
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:11:55 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Wow a Random hottie pic in the middle of all that data.

Subscribed!

I will have to find more then!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 23
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:38:11 PM   
goodboyladdie

Central Pacific

I have a few subs off the western seaboard of the US. They have done nothing. I have PH surrounded, taking advantage of the fact that the early ASW is pants. I have sunk a DMS and the damaged California took another torpedo. I am trying to frustrate Martin - if he is anything like me, he really wants to get his damaged ships stateside to clear the forward repair yards at PH. It keeps his CVs either out and about or in the US too. I reckon they are all out as one hit me in the South Pacific a few turns back (to be mentioned in the appropriate post).

I used the Tarawa invasion force to beef up the Wake attack. I captured Wake quickly. 2 damaged AKs got away from there last turn; a heavily damaged DD will be on the move this turn. I now have three invasion tfs heading for Tabiteuea, Tarawa and Canton Island. No extra troops will be committed here unless an opportunity presents itself after I have achieved my main objective. In the meantime I will keep active just to keep him focussed away from where I am concentrating.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 9/22/2011 10:25:19 AM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 24
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:46:12 PM   
Mike Solli

Hi GBL. It's about time you got this AAR going.

I tend to have pretty good luck with a line of subs (north-south) about every third hex east of Hawaii. Put them ten hexes or so east. They find TFs pretty frequently and whatever they hit has a hard time making port.

The occasional sub on the west coast of the US is nice too. It'll encourage him to escort those TFs or take it in the shorts there. The more escorts out there, the fewer there are where it really matters.

A few subs to the SW & W of Hawaii will give you early warning of something headed your way as well.

Created by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 25
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 3:48:13 PM   
Mike Solli

You can probably do all that with half of the subs seen on the screen shot leaving the rest for other duties.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 26
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 4:15:43 PM   
goodboyladdie

Thanks Major Mike. That'll be phase two. I just want to piss Martin off, then make him happy when the subs leave at the end of December, only to redeploy them a little further out. Thanks for the tips. I really need your economic advice too, so I am glad you popped in.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 27
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 4:24:26 PM   
goodboyladdie

South Pacific

I want Rabaul and the invasion is going in now. I lost some transports to a CV attack a few turns back at Tulagi. I saw a strange sighting report so pulled the covering force north out of the way, so at least I did not lose a valuable CA. The southern push is just a demonstration, with a view to having the right bases to push off from if I need to later and being able to interdict his SLOC. Kavieng is being developed to provide cover for Rabaul. I will eventually want Port Moresby, just to keep the AF out of his hands and close the Torres Strait. His CV turning up forced me to detach 2 CVs from the KB, which I really did not want to do, but best safe than sorry. I do not like leaving two CVs exposed to a potential 2 on 2 or even worse a 3 on 2, so will get them away as soon as I can get some LBA in. I have an Air Flotilla and some engineers on the way to Truk for use in this area.

Attachment (1)

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 28
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 5:18:25 PM   
Chickenboy

I also would recommend moving the Pearl subs a little farther out. Their high DLs from PH-based naval search will impede their good work. Further out, along incoming (or egressing) PH routes is preferential.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 29
RE: Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) - 9/21/2011 5:24:36 PM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I also would recommend moving the Pearl subs a little farther out. Their high DLs from PH-based naval search will impede their good work. Further out, along incoming (or egressing) PH routes is preferential.

I want them seen at the moment. I want him desperate to get those damaged ships out. I have the fuel to stay on station a while and was planning to be seen to pull away in a few turns time, around the turn of the year. Maybe in light of the respected advice, I will deliver the "present" on the 25th. Don't let me forget - it can be a while between turns...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Yes way... (GBL vs Dixie) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI