Kuybyshev or bust (no smokindave34)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Michael T

Kuybyshev or bust (no smokindave34)

Post by Michael T »

Here is some eye candy for Axis fanboys. This is at the end of the German turn 17. Yes the game is essentially over but my opponent is fighting on. I have taken 150+ Arm Ind.

This turn the last of the Leningrad defenders surrendered. A small pocket around Penza was reduced (10 Divs) and a much larger one just south of Rostov (20 Divs).

Axis boys rejoice, [:D] Soviet boys go and cry [:(]

FWIW I am neither. Been its been a fun game for me. Server based.

Attachments
OOBcopy.jpg
OOBcopy.jpg (183.39 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

RE: Kuybyshev or bust (no smokindave34)

Post by Michael T »

Losses

Attachments
GroundLossescopy.jpg
GroundLossescopy.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Dead units

Attachments
GroundDes..yedcopy.jpg
GroundDes..yedcopy.jpg (133.38 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Leningrad

Attachments
Leningradcopy.jpg
Leningradcopy.jpg (463.36 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Gorki

Attachments
Gorkicopy.jpg
Gorkicopy.jpg (466.31 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Kuby

Attachments
Kubycopy.jpg
Kubycopy.jpg (412.7 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Saratov

Attachments
Saratovcopy.jpg
Saratovcopy.jpg (463.14 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Rostov

Attachments
Rostovcopy.jpg
Rostovcopy.jpg (505.04 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Crimea

Attachments
Crimeacopy.jpg
Crimeacopy.jpg (323.9 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

You seemed to outclass this poor Soviet by a wide margin.

Good to see what is possible however.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Congratulations Michael. Awesome victory. Can you comment a bit on what did you do (or what did your opponent do) that you think was key for achieving this success?
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Curious about that as well...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I think my opponent may have been a little overconfident at first. I quote

“I've played 4 PBEM's as Soviets and have been succesfull in each (although I think the Soviets certainly have the advantage”

So perhaps initially he under estimated me. But he did have some forewarning because I have an opening in the south not seen here to date that puts a lot of pressure on the Kiev MD. He did find that a surprise.

My system of supply gives me extra supply where I need it. A combination of Air Supply, doubled up rail engineers, HQ BU, and forward planning.

He also, like many of my Soviet opponents just did not know when to cut a pocket loose. Rather he would keep sending guys in to cut my units off or link back up with the pocket. This just results in more and larger pockets. You need to be selective in this. When I play Soviet I don’t send good money after bad unless something is to be gained from it.

In the second half of the summer campaign I think he just retreated too fast too soon. This caused the loss of many factories. But I was applying the blow torch by then.

Overall I think once I got a roll on he just did not know how to cope with a rampant German Army.

You have to just assume a large gap in player skill at this point in time as well. He is a competent player, probably just hasn’t faced such an experienced foe before.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I think my opponent may have been a little overconfident at first. I quote

“I've played 4 PBEM's as Soviets and have been succesfull in each (although I think the Soviets certainly have the advantage”

So perhaps initially he under estimated me. But he did have some forewarning because I have an opening in the south not seen here to date that puts a lot of pressure on the Kiev MD. He did find that a surprise.

My system of supply gives me extra supply where I need it. A combination of Air Supply, doubled up rail engineers, HQ BU, and forward planning.

He also, like many of my Soviet opponents just did not know when to cut a pocket loose. Rather he would keep sending guys in to cut my units off or link back up with the pocket. This just results in more and larger pockets. You need to be selective in this. When I play Soviet I don’t send good money after bad unless something is to be gained from it.

In the second half of the summer campaign I think he just retreated too fast too soon. This caused the loss of many factories. But I was applying the blow torch by then.

Overall I think once I got a roll on he just did not know how to cope with a rampant German Army.

You have to just assume a large gap in player skill at this point in time as well. He is a competent player, probably just hasn’t faced such an experienced foe before.

We all find our Nemesis sooner or later Michael :)

I very much agree with what you said here:

very good advice for everyone.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

This game ended with a Soviet resignation on turn 40 (Mar 1942). My valiant opponent tried to do some damage in the blizzard but I had enough of a buffer to fall back in the open area's thru Dec/Jan and then make a stand Feb. The March snow counter attack by very strong Panzers that had been sitting in Germany thru winter demolished the Soviets and created several large pockets, plus one mega pocket centered around Boguchar which effectively broke the back of Ivan. My next game is against Marquo, I will be German again. Will post a few shots of that game as time permits.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Nice game I have had a more then few games like these myself. 9-1-1 with 3 on going. Most of the 9 resign long before winter.

The general story goes like this as it appears yours has:

Generally the russian player has played several newbie Germans holding them at rivers and crushing them come Blizzard. So they think they have mastered the game and are way over confident in there overwhelming skills. They have no clue they have been playing newbies. They have no idea there all forward tactics are a dream come true for a experianced German player.

You push to Leningrad in 4 or 5 turns and or over the Dnepr on turn 5 and they basicly panick and its just a joy after that as the German

Always nice when I am looking for an opponent and get a reply back "I have played some games and all my enemys resigned before 42. I wish I could get a German that will stick it out until 42." you've got a winner!

Logistics are the key.

Nice job humbling your "uber" opponent.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Its harder to learn the German side of the game, because 41 is totally unforgiving if you screw up.

I know there is allot to the Russian side and its no cake walk, but as German you can't make any mistakes the first 7 turns. I am guessing thats why there are so many "uber" russian players out there that just can't get a game into 42.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

So Pelton if I read it correctly you had 9 victories and 1 loss - all as German I presume, plus 1 undecided (how?), yet you constantly complained Axis is, or rather - was - underpowered [8|]
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

So Pelton if I read it correctly you had 9 victories and 1 loss - all as German I presume, plus 1 undecided (how?), yet you constantly complained Axis is, or rather - was - underpowered [8|]

Well, but he didn't get to Irkutsk so he might have a point [:D]

Jokes aside, Pelton IS an excellent Axis player. I really don't know what he wants (don't tell me he wants to bag Irkutsk and then Vladivostok too) [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
Well, but he didn't get to Irkutsk so he might have a point [:D]

Jokes aside, Pelton IS an excellent Axis player. I really don't know what he wants (don't tell me he wants to bag Irkutsk and then Vladivostok too) [:)]

He certainly is a good player, I am just questioning his personal integrity. I mean, you have 9:1 victory to loss ratio as German, and YET YOU COMPLAIN AXIS IS TOO WEAK????

I just don't get that logic.

Of course, I may have misunderstood what Pelton meant by 9:1:1.... [:'(]

Return to “After Action Reports”