Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Plowed field provides concealment-why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> The War Room >> Plowed field provides concealment-why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/16/2011 11:48:43 PM   
sztartur

Gents,

Another notice. I experience that plowed field provides concealment for the infantry. Why? Plowed earth gives nothing just makes movement on food and on wheels harder.Nothing else.

Or is that a vegetable field with bush-like foliage?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 12:43:56 AM   
Mobius

Maybe infantry can take cover in deep furrows?
Of course this was set up before we had different grass types so some sort of crop was suppose to be standing in the plowed field.

(in reply to sztartur)
Post #: 2
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 8:07:34 AM   
sztartur

I was in plowed fields and I believe it is not enough by itself to provide that much cover. It should not provide concealment unless some kind of grass or such is put on it and  have the concealment explicitly defined there. 

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 3
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 4:45:18 PM   
Ratzki

A fresh plow on a planted field might give some concealment, but I think it would be minimal, and once harrowed(sp?) you would be hard pressed to find any earth/grass clump large enough to provide any concealment at all.

(in reply to sztartur)
Post #: 4
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 4:52:41 PM   
sztartur

If others agree it would be good to change the data for this in the patch too.

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 5
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 4:53:25 PM   
Rick

This depends a lot on how fields are planted, cultivated and harvested. This was also discussed when PCK first came out.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 6
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/17/2011 4:55:28 PM   
sztartur

True, but for that there is the grass system. Id the designer puts plants on top via the grass system it will give concealment. If it remains without foliage then it should not give any IMHO.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 7
RE: Plowed field provides concealment-why? - 9/25/2011 2:49:55 PM   
Lieste

Don't know - a person under fire can make themselves very small - and a prone firer/prone target only needs a 7-8" fold in the ground to break LOS.

Also given the natural tendency to search cover, it wouldn't surprise me to find decent concealment 'in the open' so long as you don't move or fire.
(In fact ISTR some description of fugitives hiding in the open, rather than in the nearby buildings/trees, and when the large number of soldiers arrived and searched, they missed the presence of the group, as the search was only focussed on the wooded area and settlement.)

It goes with counter-intuitive observations, such as:
A small unit preferring to be pursued by a larger one, 'as they travel slower and make more noise'.
People tend not to look up (or down at the ground except near their feet) - preferring to scan near the "natural" level horizon.

(in reply to sztartur)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> The War Room >> Plowed field provides concealment-why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI