good first impressions+feature requests

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

Javolenus

good first impressions+feature requests

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There,

At the risk of sounding enthusuastic, I really like my first impressions of this game--especially the scenario editor. That said, I'd like to punt some possible future features:

1. Alternative objective flags. Would it be possible to add a selection menu for alternative objective flags? I mean, the player can select to play as, say, Free French and have a French objective flag.
2. Additional terrain tiles. Will the current set of terrain tiles be extended? For example, Asian/N. European cultivation/foliage/vegetation, pillboxes, booby traps etc.
3. Season/Weather/Enironment options. Will these be extended? For example 'Fall', 'Extreme Heat', 'Jungle' etc.
4. Sitrep/AAR. There is already lots of info in the game. Could it be brought together into an end of turn sitrep? Then, perhaps, at the end of the game, all previous sitreps could be compiled into an automatic AAR?
5. Reinforcements. Would it be possible to add a percentage factor on whether or not units actually turn up?
6. Additional units. Will the unit/force pool be extended? For example, mounted units (Ulans, Cossacks, Scouts), irregular units (Partisans)?
7. Horse power. What about adding 'horse-drawn' as a movement option?
8. River crossings. How about adding a 'ford' tile?

I'd also like to ask a couple of specific questions:

1. Will the AI blow bridges or are engineering ops only available to the human player?
2. Is 'travel' posture the same as 'recon'?

Finally, apologies if any/all of these suggestions/questions have already been covered elsewhere. I think the game is great, and the fact that I've taken time out to post this hopefully demonstrates that. Many thanks in advance.
Max 86

RE: good first impressions+feature requests

Post by Max 86 »

Travel posture is more for moving fast in a non-combat formation. If attacked in travel posture the unit will take a blow.

As for the other questions, it seems as if this game is far down on the priority ladder for updates and improvements. They have a 1.03 patch coming out to mainly fix bugs, doesn't add much new content. This game is an updated remake of the original and I would be suprised to see Matrix commit significant time and resources to developing it further per your suggestions. I hope I am wrong though as I really enjoy this title.[;)]

No problem Chief!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I too am impressed with this game and I am enjoying it very much.

If a unit is in travel posture iit can move over a long distance. However it is very vulnerable if attacked.

It can be used for recon. If you do, make sure you use a powerful unit because of that vulnerability.

Note that if an enemy unit uses Opportunity Fire on youre unit, it cannot use Opportunity Fire again in the same turn so that second recon unit is safe [8D]

-
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There and many thanks for the replies! Having dug around in the game files, I see that there are graphics options for Fall and Jungle, although they don't seem to appear in the scenario editor's drop-down menu options. Never mind--at least they are there!

I hope the game does get an significant update, but I can understand that the devs' resources are finite and they need to prioritize. Maybe some modding tools and/or modding tutorials would help players get a bit more out of the game?

Anyway, the game itself is good and I'm enjoying playing it.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Javolenus

I see that there are graphics options for Fall and Jungle, although they don't seem to appear in the scenario editor's drop-down menu options.

I too have noticed this.

Solution:

Take a scenariio set in the Fall, (Stalingrad) save under a new name and then make changes to it.

-
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

Thanks for the input and some great suggestions.

We are working on getting 1.03 wrapped up. It is out in beta so it can be used, just checking some final items.

We do have a follow on game on the drawing board (much more than that actually). Any major game improvements would come out in the new game.

Tim
Horse and Musket2---Matrix Games
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There and many thanks for the response--much appreciated. And very good to hear that a new game will be forthcoming--count me in!

From a personal viewpoint, I like to play single-player against the AI, and to have a versatile scenario editor. It's nice to have a range of editing tools that allow for a variety of scenarios. Both Combat Command and Horse & Musket have outstanding scenario editors. Would be great to see a new game along similar lines.

Thanks again and best wishes for future projects!
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: Tim Coakley
We do have a follow on game on the drawing board (much more than that actually). Any major game improvements would come out in the new game.
Now that does sound interesting! Any more information or are you going for the enigmatic tease?

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

Now that does sound interesting!

Considering that withdrawl does not work and I cannot watch an opponent's replay it does not sound the slightest bit interesting.

-

PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

Didn't say I'd buy it - just that it sounded interesting. Following from the initial issues with developer support it'll also be interesting to see if things are done differently.

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Something to add here... if a unit being targeted is in Travel posture, it will take a 25% penalty on the hit-number when looking at the modifiers.  That is, for a case where a unit decides to take pot-shots at you through opportunity fire.

I'm going to write to Cooney later on today and check up on a couple things in progress...
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There,

Another tentative feature request relates to the OOB report dialog: this is a nice feature, but might it be possible to add an option where you could change a unit's posture from the OOB dialog? I just think this would be handy . . .
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Hmmm....

I'm not sure many would use this method Javol, but I suppose there can be some merit to it.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There! That's fair comment--was just 'thinking aloud' so to speak!

Return to “Combat Command Series”