Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/14/2011 4:40:08 PM   
JWE

Just when you thought it was safe, we got a couple more goodies for you. Andrew Brown has created an Extended Map that is fully compatible with all the B and C versions of all BigBabes abd BabesLite scenarios (the ones with the PI and Malaya map and base tweaks). Has other stuff in it too, but I'll let Andrew explain it:

"Extended" map mod for War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition. Version 2.02. This mod provides new map art files for the map with hexes and without hexes. File replaced are WPEH00.bmp through to WPEH41.bmp, and WPEN00.bmp through to WPEN41.bmp, in the ART folder. In addition, there are new map data files which are copied to the main folder where War in the Pacific is installed. These files are pwehexe.dat, pwzone.dat and pwzlink.dat. The changes included in this map are:
- Extension of a part of the Northern map edge to extend the Arabian Sea to the edge of the Arabian peninsula, dividing the map edge zone in the Arabian Sea into two separated map edge zones that connect to the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. This results in Aden and Abadan not being directly connected by an off-map movement link.
- Extension of a part of the Northern map edge to include the North West frontier of India. This allows the placement of additional bases such as Quetta and Peshawar.
- "Extension" of the Western part of Luzon in the Philippines to provide a separate coastal hex for Subic Bay (hex 78, 76). This also results in the Clark Field hex (79, 76) becoming a land hex instead of a coastal hex.
- Realignment of the Western coastal road between Lingayen (79, 75) and Clark Field (79, 76).
- Modification of the Western coastline of Malaya creating a coastal hex at 49, 82.
This map is NOT compatible with official Admiral's Edition scenarios.
This map is compatible with the "Babes" scenario(s).

Because the file content is so huge, it's hosted on a Babes companion site, but there is a separate page for it, on DaBabes site, with a direct link. His art is so pretty, we'll be substituting his PI and Malaya panels into the Babes art stuff, too.

It can be found directly at ExtendedArtWiTPAE at https://sites.google.com/site/extendedartwitpae/

Hootz gazootz, huh?

< Message edited by JWE -- 9/14/2011 4:42:21 PM >

Home of DaBabes
Post #: 1
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/14/2011 5:43:37 PM   
witpqs

Pretty cool! Downloaded & will check them out later. Thanks, guys!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 2
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/14/2011 6:08:52 PM   
JWE

Uh oh. Major problem. Aden and Abadan are in a different place. And all the troops and stuff that arrive there end up in never-never land.

All of the scenarios need to be updated to use the new map, which means yet another set. Not sure I want to do that. Folks can do it themselves, but there's the two bases and over 80 LCUs to edit. Oh, well.

< Message edited by JWE -- 9/14/2011 6:30:19 PM >

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 12:30:03 AM   
Herrbear

There also appears to be a new location called Masirah in Oman. Do you have any specs for that? Thank you.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 4
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 6:21:57 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Uh oh. Major problem. Aden and Abadan are in a different place. And all the troops and stuff that arrive there end up in never-never land.

All of the scenarios need to be updated to use the new map, which means yet another set. Not sure I want to do that. Folks can do it themselves, but there's the two bases and over 80 LCUs to edit. Oh, well.

Hi JWE,

That is my fault. The readme I wrote above had a simple typo - the map is NOT compatible with Da Babes (I left the "NOT" out! ).

There is another map I created that IS compatible with Da Babes - it is the one I call the "alternative" map. if you don't have that one I will send you the link (or post it here later today, hopefully).

Apologies,
Andrew

PS: For this map to be used, the Da Babes scenario has to be modified. I can do that, but not for a few days I suspect (if anyone is interested?).

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 9/15/2011 12:53:08 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 5
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 12:49:46 PM   
Andrew Brown

Here is the link to my Da Big Babes compatible map:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ci2mmcbi5h0vm91

Andrew

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 6
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 12:52:45 PM   
Andrew Brown

From the readme file:

This mod provides new map art files for the map with hexes and without hexes.
File replaced are WPEH00.bmp through to WPEH41.bmp, and WPEN00.bmp through to
WPEN41.bmp, in the ART folder. In addition, there is a new map data file which
is copied to the main folder where War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition is
installed. This file is pwehexe.dat.

The changes included in this map are:

- "Extension" of the Western part of Luzon in the Philippines to provide a
separate coastal hex for Subic Bay (hex 78, 76). This also results in the
Clark Field hex (79, 76) becoming a land hex instead of a coastal hex.

- Realignment of the Western coastal road between Lingayen (79, 75) and
Clark Field (79, 76).

- Modification of the Western coastline of Malaya creating a coastal hex at
49, 82.

- Addition of the Perak River in Western Malaya.

- Several minor corrections to the map data.

Compatibility:
=============

* This map is NOT compatible with official Admiral's Edition scenarios.

* This map is compatible with the "Big Babes" scenario(s).

Post #: 7
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 3:35:25 PM   
John 3rd

Standard question from my corner of things, could this extension be used in Reluctant Admiral and the 'Perfect War' Mod? If so, what would that entail?

THANKS for the work!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 8
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 4:45:29 PM   
Herrbear

Is Masirah in Oman a new location in the extended map? Do you have any specs for that? Thank you.

Post #: 9
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 5:26:02 PM   
JWE

@ Andrew. Thanks for the clarification. I just got premature excitement. Think I got a good solution, though.
@ Everybody. Sorry for getting ya'll excited and then pulling the rug out. There is an answer, and I'm on it. Soon.
@ John 3rd. Yes it can. See below.

1) Andrew, I don't think your "Alternate" map is not necessary. It doesn't have the cool extensions to India, or the separation of Aden/Abadan. This makes it less than desirable. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a bunch of mods out there, each with their own pwhexe and art tweaks, when the whole thing can be done with only two alternatives: Stock, and Bad, Bad, Andy Brown. N'est pas?

2) The "only" thing that is required for a Babes scenario to be "fully" compatible with Andrew Brown's Extended Map is tweak to the locations file (wplxxx.dat) to put Aden and Abadan bases in the proper hex location and then edit the land LCUs that arrive in those locations to have the proper x and y designations. Using WitploadAE, it was a two minute job to get thet done (have a good set of instructions for John and Stan if you all want to DIY).

3) So far as Art is concerned, the "only" changes required are the PI and Malaya panels already captured in the Babes Art set, and the top few panels defined by ABs Extended Map. If we did Babes so it would conform to the Extended Map, it wouldn't require much tweaking. And we could just update the Babes Map stuff with the extra Extended Map panels. So any "new" Babes downloads would have the art, the wplxxx, the pwhexe, pwzlink, and pwzone that are ticketty-boo.

4) Sounds very complicated, but it isn't. Most of the verbage is just explanation. Think it is wise to have only 2 options. I like Andrew's as option 2 and have figured out how to do the translation simply, and easily.

Stay tuned. J

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 6:42:06 PM   
Mundy

Guys, are map mods a scenario based mod, or must they apply to all scenarios in a game, requiring multiple installs?

Thanks

Ed-

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 11
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/15/2011 6:58:25 PM   
Don Bowen

Just to fry everyone's doughnuts, Andrew has agreed to look at map extensions on the other side (i.e. Caribbean) for me........

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 12
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 12:23:53 AM   
oldman45

Beer's on me

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 13
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 2:57:22 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Guys, are map mods a scenario based mod, or must they apply to all scenarios in a game, requiring multiple installs?

Thanks

Ed-

The ma in AE is a common item, which means that it affects every scenario. The choices you have if wanting to use an alternative map are:

- Make a new install of AE>
- Manually switch map around yourself between scenarios.
- Use something like the Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (GME). This is the best option, I think, and it is what I am currently doing. When I get around to completing my installer for the maps, they will be made compatible with the GME.

Andrew

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 14
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 2:59:51 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

@ Andrew. Thanks for the clarification. I just got premature excitement. Think I got a good solution, though.
@ Everybody. Sorry for getting ya'll excited and then pulling the rug out. There is an answer, and I'm on it. Soon.
@ John 3rd. Yes it can. See below.

1) Andrew, I don't think your "Alternate" map is not necessary. It doesn't have the cool extensions to India, or the separation of Aden/Abadan. This makes it less than desirable. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a bunch of mods out there, each with their own pwhexe and art tweaks, when the whole thing can be done with only two alternatives: Stock, and Bad, Bad, Andy Brown. N'est pas?

Sure. Just let me know which map variant you would like Da Big Babes to use and I can modify the scenario to suit that map.

quote:

2) The "only" thing that is required for a Babes scenario to be "fully" compatible with Andrew Brown's Extended Map is tweak to the locations file (wplxxx.dat) to put Aden and Abadan bases in the proper hex location and then edit the land LCUs that arrive in those locations to have the proper x and y designations. Using WitploadAE, it was a two minute job to get thet done (have a good set of instructions for John and Stan if you all want to DIY).

Yes, plus add some new bases. I have all the data for that, so I can easily modify the scenario myself. I will hopefully be able to do that tonight, time permitting (as usual).

An installer for the map will take a while longer...

Andrew

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 3:00:37 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Just to fry everyone's doughnuts, Andrew has agreed to look at map extensions on the other side (i.e. Caribbean) for me........

It's almost done. Did you want those bit with the Med stuff I did, or on the standard map, or...?

Andrew

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 16
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 6:03:34 AM   
Pascal

You guys are INCREDIBLE!

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 17
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 12:12:13 PM   
Mundy

Thanks, Andrew.

Ed-

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 18
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 2:28:37 PM   
Andrew Brown

Here is my first attempt at converting a Da Big Babes scenario (version 7) to use my "extended" map. The scenario number is 48. There are some new bases, and some LCUs etc. moved around due to the base location changes as well. Plus a few LCU changes for the NW frontier area.

I have not thorougly checked this scenario conversion, so beware - it might be a bit rough around the edges. Please post anything that doesn't look right.

Andrew

PS: I am away for a few days, so I won't be posting until I return.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 19
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 2:30:04 PM   
Andrew Brown

Here is a list of changes for the modified scenario.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 2:39:54 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

It's almost done. Did you want those bit with the Med stuff I did, or on the standard map, or...?

Andrew

What ever is easiest for you Andrew. I can pick out bits and pieces if I want. Thanks.

Post #: 21
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 4:45:41 PM   
JWE

quote:

Here is a list of changes for the modified scenario.

JWE is off in pensacola making a new keel and maybe his laptop is not connected so I get to answer. And this is what I have.

<Ok, everything works. All we really need is for a couple bases in the std Babes scens to get new hex designations, and the LCUs that arrive in those bases to get readjusted accordingly. And here they be.

There's only a couple panels of Andrew's Map that need to get into the DBB Art pack, in addition to what's already there, in order for us to have a completely compatible scenario with Andrew's Extended Map. Here's the new Art pack based on Andy's version 2.02.

I really would like to keep things as compatible as possible with as few options as possible. It doesn't matter what is in any one given scenario, so long as it relates to one or two of a specific set of Map/Map Data options.

I know Andrew has a bunch of extra bases, but if Andrew's scenario and our's can coexist on the same underlying Map basis, that will create a uniform and determinable base from which other mods can be developed without worrying about the world changing under their feet.

If you can work it, I'd like to get it posted on the site this weekend.>

And so I will today.

MO

Home of DaBabes

Post #: 22
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 5:22:03 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

<snip>
- Make a new install of AE>
- Manually switch map around yourself between scenarios.
- Use something like the Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (GME). This is the best option, I think, and it is what I am currently doing. When I get around to completing my installer for the maps, they will be made compatible with the GME.

Andrew I have just PM'd you in this regard.

Post #: 23
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 5:55:21 PM   
John 3rd

I'd love to use the Extended Map in RA and the Perfect War Mod.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 24
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 5:59:00 PM   
Skyland

quote:

Next will be the complete Indian Ocean ?

War Options 1941 mod : https://sites.google.com/site/waroptionswitpaemod/

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 25
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 6:24:52 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

quote:

Next will be the complete Indian Ocean ?

Don't think that is possible. Andrew can do all the artwork but the upper left corner of the map is hex 0,0. To expand to the left, hex 0,0 would have to move and that would offset every single hex on the map. There are billions and billions of things linked to specific hexes and they'd all have to be reset.

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 26
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 6:47:46 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
I'd love to use the Extended Map in RA and the Perfect War Mod.

Am sending you PM with complete instructions.

They are not extensive. Actually they are quite simple if you are using Babes as a basis.

Ciao, John

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 27
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/16/2011 7:08:31 PM   
John 3rd

RA does not use Da Babes as its template (though we've got a ton of your stuff in it!

The new Mod does so that will be pretty simple.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 28
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/17/2011 7:28:10 PM   
JWE

Figured out how to do this simply and easily, so there will be Babes for the Stock Map and Babes for AB's Extended Map. Doesn't make sense to have a truncated third thing running around too.

Tweaked Babes, added AB's bases, tweaked Aden and Abadan, made it so the Babes map art set conforms to AB's Extended Map. Surprisingly few changes required. But they are all done now, and uploading, so no going back.

So there are only two maps that play in-game: Stock Map, and AB's Extended Map (v2.02). That's it. There's nothing more. Babes is now AB v2. Please God, there won't be any more.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 29
RE: AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art - 9/19/2011 6:33:38 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Kudos!

Just one question: any prospects for a WiF-version of the extended map?

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> AB's DaBabes Extended Map Art Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI