Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 7:24:57 PM   
Joel Billings

Here's a sneak peak at our first draft map data for the area around Leningrad in our new War in Europe map. We are creating a map of Europe that will be used for our series of games (next up is War in the West 43-45). Eventually you'll see it used for the east front again. Notice there is more heavy forest than in WitE (the darker green). This map data is being created by Jason Petho. We're excited to have him working on the map. Although Pavel helped create a very realistic map of the Soviet Union for WitE, there were some distortion issues we couldn't get around due to the way the projection was originally done. Although no flat map will ever be accurate given a round world, we think Jason's projection decisions will minimize the distortion issues and ultimately give us an even better map for the WiE series. We think WitE is the best, most accurate map of the Soviet Union that Gary's ever had in one of his east front games, but we expect the WiE map will be even better. Remember the map you see is only an alpha map being used for the data and initial alpha testing. Eventually we expect the map to be fully painted like the map in WitE.

Attachment (1)

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Post #: 1
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 8:27:09 PM   
Tarhunnas

Seems great! Thanks for posting this and paying attention to these things and listening to us on the forum!

Edit: It seems to me that hex size is the same as in WITE, but different projection, or...?

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 9/13/2011 8:28:53 PM >

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 8:51:30 PM   
Krec

Joel, Great stuff. Looking forward to another addition to a real good game. Thanks for the info

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 3
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 8:53:12 PM   
map66

Looks fantastic. From a glance, is the second brown line the Finnish no-attack line, or just the old state border? If so, it seems significantly less deep into Russia then the one in WiTE, and would make it tougher for the Germans to reach (a good thing to my mind.)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 4
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 8:58:48 PM   
Q-Ball

Awesome!

Once that project is done, all you have to do is somehow merge that with WITP-AE....along with a full global production system.

(in reply to map66)
Post #: 5
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 9:32:16 PM   
daft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Awesome!

Once that project is done, all you have to do is somehow merge that with WITP-AE....along with a full global production system.

Honestly, I don't think it would be at all possible to play through that even if you started a s toddler. :)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 10:03:31 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: map66

Looks fantastic. From a glance, is the second brown line the Finnish no-attack line, or just the old state border? If so, it seems significantly less deep into Russia then the one in WiTE, and would make it tougher for the Germans to reach (a good thing to my mind.)

Not exactly sure, but I think it is the 1939 border.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to map66)
Post #: 7
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/13/2011 10:08:04 PM   
Uxbridge

Any chance of a peek from the west side of the combined map?

Post #: 8
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 5:36:35 AM   
delatbabel

Isn't that a lot of clear (pink) terrain right in front of Lenigrad leading up to the city hex? I'm not sure that in real life that terrain is clear, or in any way tank-friendly. Making it clear for game purposes is going to make Leningrad really hard to hold on to against a frontal assault.

--
Del

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 9
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 10:11:38 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
Not exactly sure, but I think it is the 1939 border.

It seems to be very close to Finnish original borderline (or as close you can get in flat and hex based map) before one million Soviet Soldier stormed over that border in Winter War 1939-40.

Then border was chanced again in Continuation war 41-44 and current modern borderline was negotiated back at 44 after Soviet 1944 summer offensive against Finland was repulsed.

Post #: 10
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 2:44:48 PM   
Priapus1

quote:

Eventually you'll see it used for the east front again

Does this mean you eventually intend to create a game with both european fronts represented?

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 11
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 4:22:57 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Priapus1

quote:

Does this mean you eventually intend to create a game with both european fronts represented?

They should, and if they do, I predict the game will be wildly successful. There wouldn't be one WWII buff out there that would dare not buy it! GG and Matrix will become WARGAME GODS! LOL.

(in reply to Priapus1)
Post #: 12
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 5:28:18 PM   
Omat

Hello

Maybe you shoul listen to this:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2688989

When I remember correctly they plan is to make War in th West, than War in Afrika and than War in Europe

Omat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Priapus1

quote:

They should, and if they do, I predict the game will be wildly successful. There wouldn't be one WWII buff out there that would dare not buy it! GG and Matrix will become WARGAME GODS! LOL.

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
Anatole France

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 13
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 6:26:27 PM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

That is their final goal integrate both fronts in one game I listened while ago some podcast about Wite developers interview.

First they realese War in the West 43 - 45 and then War in the Europe

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 14
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/14/2011 7:35:31 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel
Isn't that a lot of clear (pink) terrain right in front of Lenigrad leading up to the city hex? I'm not sure that in real life that terrain is clear, or in any way tank-friendly. Making it clear for game purposes is going to make Leningrad really hard to hold on to against a frontal assault.

The pink hexes seem to be city hexes, so I'm guessing you mean the white-yellowish hexes. Yes, those might make it easier to get to the city, but note that the layout of the rivers in the area is also quite different from the one in WitE, so you'll have an extra river to hide behind for part of the defending force. It could be that rough hexes are missing, however, as there are only 4 types of non-city/urban land hexes on that WiE pre-alpha map, and 5 in WitE.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 9/14/2011 7:36:30 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 15
RE: Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area - 9/18/2011 1:32:10 AM   
glvaca

Is there any rough (not official) idea whan war int he West would be finished?
Seems great btw.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Map data for War in Europe - Leningrad area Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI