Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows directory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows directory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows directory - 9/12/2011 3:01:40 PM   
gravyface_

Looking in %systemroot%, seeing not only setup log files (really?) but <game name> directories with the uninstaller.exe in it. I recall Korsun Pocket doing something nasty with my Arial font face as well.

Please, stop.

Just sloppy programming, really.
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 3:08:08 PM   
apathetic lurker

They are not Matrix programmers.....Matrix just sells these games

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 3:14:12 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

In addition : new M$ operating systems that didn't even exist when the installers were created -> the results are unpredictable. At least their default installation path points to c:\matrixgames and not to c:\program files as with many, many other companies.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 3:34:29 PM   
ilovestrategy

Sterckxe, after all these years I never get tired of your avatar!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 4:01:37 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
Sterckxe, after all these years I never get tired of your avatar!

It's a non-photoshopped picture of one of the dogs - the one my wife insists has all my character traits - I like to think she means the good ones <ahum> - playing Highway to the Reich.

I like to stick to the same avatar on all forums - makes it easier for everyone to ignore me at a glance :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 6:42:17 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

In addition : new M$ operating systems that didn't even exist when the installers were created -> the results are unpredictable. At least their default installation path points to c:\matrixgames and not to c:\program files as with many, many other companies.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Putting anything outside the game folder is generally a pretty awful habit, though.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 8:17:05 PM   
J P Falcon

But this does bring up a question I have wondered about....Why do so many games now split up the files between the C drive and the Documents folder?

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 8:24:01 PM   
Mundy

Basically, the strict executable part of the program itself, will be in its own location. Usually in the "Program Files" directory -- Matrix uses its own in this case.

The stuff that goes into the documents folder are the more "fluid" stuff like scenarios, user settings, saved games, etc.

I've grown to like that way better. It keeps the stuff you can mess with separate from the program itself.

Ed-

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 9:18:55 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

But this does bring up a question I have wondered about....Why do so many games now split up the files between the C drive and the Documents folder?

Microsoft publishes guidelines on where various program components should live. You can get a sampling of that at the bottom of page 8 (and beyond) in the PDF linked at
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3859

The general idea is that Program Files and the Windows directories are no longer places that non-administrative users have access so user changeable files like saved games should not be placed there.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 10:25:43 PM   
Perturabo

I really hate the idea of putting parts of programs in different places. That's one thing that I really hate about using a Ubuntu derivative. Stuff goes to various folders, I can't even decide where a program should be installed, etc.
Personally, I just have a 000WGM (I think it was supposed to be wargames) folder where I install all my games - I have sub-folders there for all genres.
If I have to wipe out my main HDD and re-install, install another version of Linux Mint, I still keep my games. Except in cases when the developers put stuff where it shouldn't be. Taking in account that system reinstalls are practically unavoidable and nowadays it's possible to have tens or even hundreds of games installed, game installs should be made for high reliability.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/12/2011 10:44:53 PM   
parusski

Matrix has no programmers, they employee wizards. Those said wizards wave wands and create wonderful games.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/20/2011 1:19:47 PM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
Why do so many games now split up the files between the C drive and the Documents folder?

If the save game files are in the Documents folder, then when you back-up the Documents folder it also backs up alll youre save games.

It is Microsoft trying to make life easier for us user but I think its a bad idea.

In the past, when I did a regular back-up, I also backed up my save game folders.

All with one click of the mouse.

-

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 12
RE: Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows dire... - 9/26/2011 6:11:48 PM   
pellen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
I really hate the idea of putting parts of programs in different places. That's one thing that I really hate about using a Ubuntu derivative. Stuff goes to various folders, I can't even decide where a program should be installed, etc.

Actually I think you can tell the ubuntu/debian package manager exactly where you want the files, if you for some reason can't live with the default. The fact that there is a package manager generally means you don't have to bother, and usually the directories used are at least very predictable. There is a file somewhere describing the standard linux directory layout... there is some sort of logic to it all, like no application should ever write to /usr so you can have that read-only if you want to (on a cdrom for instance, or a central remote network drive), system configuration all going to /etc, log files etc to /var, user-specific stuff to /home, applications not installed by package manager in /opt... I'm sure the Windows standard mentioned above is similar, and sounds like a good idea to use in that OS too.

I'd be a bit upset with a game that put my savegames elsewhere, or filled up my home directory with non-personal data.

Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=95

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix programmers: stop writing to my Windows directory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI