Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stacking question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stacking question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stacking question - 9/11/2011 7:14:19 AM   
Gunner98

Can someone clarify the implications of over stacking? I have a very small atoll (Canton Island) which is striped down to the minimum, but still has a stack of 6,063 pers - so a 1% over stack. The Naval det is now gone and all that is there is a BF, Cst Arty Bn, Cst AA Bn, Inf Bn and a Construction Regt. I know the Construction Regt has to go but want to keep it until the base is built up.

According to the manual:

»1 - 5 Fatigue and Disruption to ALL units if base is over stacked
»»Supply usage increases for every 10% over the stacking limit; supply usage increases by an additional 20% UNCAPPED for both sides

Questions:
1) Is the fatigue based on the size of the over stack? So with a 1% over, I can assume a '1' fatigue, or is it a random each turn? Is it cumulative or just a constant annoyance?

2) The over stack is lower than the 10% threshold so is this a 'freebee' or am I expending 120% of the normal supply requirements?

Thanks guys

B
Post #: 1
RE: Stacking question - 9/11/2011 8:59:55 AM   
jmalter

imo, 6063 in a 6000 hex is safely in the 'no worries, mate' range, & i doubt it's giving you mongo supply probs, nor is it increasing the fat/dis lvl beyond what they can normally decrease each turn. these LCUs might stay at a consistent 5/1 fat/dis level, instead of a more usual 3/0 - just keep a normal eye on their supply, & don't let it degrade to the red '!' level.

1) i'd assume 'yes, random, yes, both' to your 4 ?'s, but given your minimal over-stack, units will also do some fat/dis recovery each turn. assuming you're in the green for each unit's support req'ment (due to your BFs support capability), there's no prob.
2) i'll go w/ the manual here - you're less than 10% over, your supply usage isn't increased.

you've really got to go a bit better than 1% overstacked, if you want to get a penalty.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 2
RE: Stacking question - 9/12/2011 7:29:27 PM   
dr.hal

Jmalter, I'm not so sure...how do you come to that view? I over stacked on Midway and paid a bit for it.... some penalties are "on/off"... either you have them or not, like garrison penalties.... it doesn't matter by how much, it seems to be a random dice roll..... But I really don't know...and really don't want to find out again! I keep it under 6K....

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 3
RE: Stacking question - 9/12/2011 8:39:48 PM   
jmalter

hi dr.hal,

currently i've got 7410 troops at 6000-cap Eniwetok - 1 engr unit, 1 BF, & 6 flying boats w/ a 6-cap AVD mothership.

the base uses ~350 supply per day, & the LCUs' fat/dis bounces up&down between 6/4 & 3/1.

the base is not engaged in combat, & not doing any construction. i used it only as a waypoint for 4E sgn transfer.

it's near totally quiescent, one of those Pacific backwaters that Mister Roberts would recognize.

no doubt if it was under attack, or supporting air sqns, the supply use would rise, & the overstack penalty would be much more noticeable.

i'm not advocating over-stackage in a combat area, but small-to-medium overstacks in rear areas aren't a prob when ample supplies are available.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 9/12/2011 10:55:25 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Stacking question - 9/13/2011 5:37:32 AM   
Gunner98

Well, I have a feeling that Canton Island in April 42 is about to be on the front line against a VH Jap AI, so will need to keep transports on hand to pull the Engineers off quickly if I see transports heading my way. Fatigue for all units is a constant 2, with a disruption of '0', supply usage is about 200 a day and I am building like mad: Port 3(2) 93%, AF 2(0) 16%, forts 4(6) 13%. One note is that I have replacements ON and am now up to 6,147, just went through the TOEs and I with the exception of support squads in the BF, all the needed additions were either guns of some type or rifle squads so I will leave it ON and watch for trouble. This is OK for the time being.

The Construction Regt has 36 Engrs and 10 Engr veh and in total there are 45 engr and 16 engr veh - 125 points. So if I understand those charts Graymane shared properly, I need about 12,000 more points to max out the base, not including the forts. That means I need the Construction Regt to hold tight for another 3 months, probably 4 to max out the Forts as well - pushing it a bit I think. Will leave it there for another month or so to get everythin up by 1 or so, and let the BF finish the job over time. Interesting balancing act now that I understand this stuff a bit more.

B

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stacking question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI