Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Galactopedia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> The Galactopedia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Galactopedia - 9/7/2011 12:42:17 PM   
Darkspire

I have Internet Explorer 8 and the Galactopedia doesnt display, Ive looked on here and the problem still doesnt seem to have been fixed. As its been an ongoing issue for at least a year and a half im just wondering why it hasnt been fixed?

Heres a brief summary of what ive tried ...

Ive installed IE8 in various languages, US,UK,ASIAN etc (I gave up at 16 as i read that it worked on some versions of IE8 and not others. Ive downloaded all the IE versions from the download center at Microflop, sorry Microsoft to ensure i didnt have a 'corrupted' version.

Ive downloaded a .MHT extractor and replaced the .MHT files with the extracted files in folders then renaming the folders the same as the files EG, alienraces.mht FAIL

Ive tried deleting the file types in folder options and made new ones for the MHT and MHTML and ensured they open in explorer. FAIL

Ive downloaded Firefox and the .MHT add-on so yes outside of the game i can at least read the pages, which is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, i would like to read them in the game not on my desktop

Ive tried making Firefox the default to open the .MHT files and made sure its set as the default browser. FAIL

Ive downloaded Opera, which displays the files without an add-on, so yet again i can view the files outside of the game.

Ive tried making Opera the default to open the .MHT files and made sure its set as the default browser. FAIL

Ive installed Word as that was mentioned in the .MHT file when i opened it with Textpad. FAIL

Can someone please help as its driving me nuts

Thanks

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 9/7/2011 1:01:50 PM >

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE
Post #: 1
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/7/2011 1:15:45 PM   
Data

This may be a dumb question but why do you need IE8? Can't you upgrade to 9 or 10? I still have 7 and it works for me.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 2
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/7/2011 1:22:47 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

This may be a dumb question but why do you need IE8? Can't you upgrade to 9 or 10? I still have 7 and it works for me.

Not a dumb question Mr Data, I should have said i have XP 32bit, so i cant go up unless i install Vista or 7.
Ive tried to install IE7 and Windows wont have it as it cant uninstall the current version.

I honestly dont mind recoding the whole Galactopedia back into HTML as long as one of the developers wouldnt mind putting it in as an optional update to the game.

Question Mr Data, which episode of STNG does your avatar come from? I cant seem to place it ...

Thanks

Darkspire

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/7/2011 3:44:49 PM   
Data

"The schizoid man" is the first one that comes to mind but I'm fairly sure it made an appearence in others as well. As the most talented Mr. Igard is the author of my avatar and an extensive ST pedia as well, he can surely provide more details on this.

And you're right about Windows not downgrading IE, I now remembered having a similar problem for another game. Damn shame we can't do it.

< Message edited by Data -- 9/7/2011 3:45:26 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/7/2011 4:29:27 PM   
Darkspire

Thanks Mr Data, ill dig out my STNG, havent watched them for moons

After further failed attempts i thought id pop up to see the little old lady in the flat above as she has MS Works 2010 and makes a smashing cuppa

I took my mem stick with some .MHT files with me and tried them in her version of Word and this popped up ...

It does make a kind of sense as it cant just be a version of IE, that might be why some folks are saying it works on someone elses machine its got be an external file to IE, thats the reason why i put Word 97 in as i thought it might be one of the convertors but Word 97 is to old to work with them, i only tried Word as it was in the text readout of the .MHT file. So it could be something that is installed with Outlook as most of the Microsoft programs work together.

I dont have these installed and i really dont want to put them in as they are both IMHO a very risky option so the question is if anyone is reading this and the Galactopedia works for them do they have either of these installed?

If i have to put these in i will but only if its a fair chance of success

Well that sucks IE8 is like Vista and ME, its useless! You cant use Outlook Express with it OR Windows Mail, ive just installed Windows Live Mail as thats the closest you can get on XP with IE8 and no it didnt work. Back to the drawing board then

Thanks

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 9/7/2011 11:52:53 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/8/2011 8:18:32 AM   
Data

Well, my own private hell seems very similar with yours as I also hunt such useless stuff and uninstall it. I'll have to go back home after work to confirm it and I'll let you know.
Keep at it, don't let Microsoft beat DW

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/8/2011 12:39:41 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Well, my own private hell seems very similar with yours as I also hunt such useless stuff and uninstall it. I'll have to go back home after work to confirm it and I'll let you know.
Keep at it, don't let Microsoft beat DW

Thank you Mr Data Would be cool if we could sort out what is causing this and get a few others to confirm or deny my suspicions. If this is the case ill re-install Windows and go back to SP2 and work from the bottom up .

@Mr Data:
Do you think its possible for the developer(s) to accept a version in HTML format to put as an optional update to the Galactopedia? I dont mind recoding it, and id copy exactly how it is in the game using frames, timely but worth it.

Thanks

Darkspire

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/8/2011 6:33:35 PM   
Data

Got back from work and checked, I can confirm I have Outlook Express installed. Come to think of it, you can try and play with this inside a virtual machine in order to keep yours safe. In a vmware box you can test safely until you can isolate what exactly is needed to view these pages.
As for the html format only Elliot (the only developer, btw ) can truly answer that, myslef I cannot evaluate how easy or hard it would be.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 8
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/8/2011 10:36:45 PM   
Kayoz

What is the default program to open the MHT file extension? If it is not IE, then that's likely to be causing you some problems.

Re-associate IE with the MHT extension and see if that helps.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/9/2011 8:35:30 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

What is the default program to open the MHT file extension? If it is not IE, then that's likely to be causing you some problems.

Re-associate IE with the MHT extension and see if that helps.

No disrespect, but you havent read the rest of this post
Does the Galactopedia work for you? If it does do you have Outlook express or Windows Mail installed?

Thanks

Darkspire

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 10
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/9/2011 8:41:41 AM   
Kayoz

I tested it with XP-SP2, IE7 - no problems. I think you're on the wrong track, if you're chasing after IE compatibility.

Unfortunately, you haven't explained your problem in much detail -
1. Did it ever work? Was it working, and following some change, you can't read the MHT files any more?
2. Why are you opening the MHT files directly? Can't you access them in game?
3. What program -IS- associated with MHT extension? What happens when you try to open them? Error code? Screencap?
4. Explain "fail" - you can't do this?
quote:

Ive tried deleting the file types in folder options and made new ones for the MHT and MHTML and ensured they open in explorer. FAIL

5. I'm uncertain why you expect that installing Word and trying to open the MHT file in Textpad is supposed to shed any light on the subject. Textpad is not a M$ product, and I can't see how it's reliant on Word installation.
quote:

Ive installed Word as that was mentioned in the .MHT file when i opened it with Textpad. FAIL

I read your posts. You aren't providing much detail on your issue.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 9/9/2011 8:05:22 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 11
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/18/2011 1:35:30 AM   
Darkspire

@Kayoz. Sorry i haven't replied, didnt realise you had edited your post with more detail.

1. No, the Galatopedia has never worked for me in game. Ive changed nothing and never been able to access the .MHT files.
2. Im opening them, or trying to, as they wont open in game and i know that IE8 should open .MHT files either from opening them from the file menu within IE or dropping them onto an already open IE. So its logical to assume if i can open them outside the game i can view them in the Galactopedia within the game.
3. From file types in folder options IE is the associated program to open .MHT files. When i try to open them i get a 'Webpage Can Not Be Displayed' error. See below.

4. Fail means i have done something and it has not worked.
5. Im not sure how much you know know about Microsoft software and how it interacts with other Microsoft software but from past experience ive learnt that they tend to work together, by this i mean when you install a Microsoft program there are DLL files etc that are installed with it that enable the program you have installed to work properly with other Microsoft programs.
As for Textpad, I used that to open the .MHT file to see what was in it, Word was mentioned within the .MHT file and as i previously mentioned, Microsoft programs install quite a bit in the background, in Word's case convertors etc so i thought as Word 2010 can edit / open .MHT files if that was installed maybe that would install something to enable the use of .MHT files.
6. You were not very clear on your second post,
quote:

I tested it with XP-SP2, IE7 - no problems. I think you're on the wrong track, if you're chasing after IE compatibility.

You never mentioned whether you had Outlook Express installed or Windows Mail so I took Mr Data's advice and tried a Virtual Machine setup and i think i now have the answer.
If you have IE7 or below installed AND Outlook express or Windows Mail installed and then upgrade IE to IE8 you can open .MHT files from within IE8. IF you have an install of XP that by default puts IE8 in you can NOT open .MHT files as you can not install Outlook Express or Windows Mail with IE8 installed. IE on its own does not have the required background files on its own, it needs Outlook Express or Windows Mail installed previously as well otherwise your in the boat im in.

Thanks

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 9/18/2011 1:43:36 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/18/2011 9:21:04 AM   
Data

Good work, Darkspire, my own past experience is similar with yours regarding Windows. So instead of registering a particular dll or updating a particular registry key the way you've done it is faster....go figure.
Microsoft is a huge environment and we just want to....view some pages .

Glad to hear you've got your answer, several uninstall / install operations now on your real machine and we should finally see the end of this

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 13
RE: The Galactopedia - 9/19/2011 5:42:18 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
2. Im opening them, or trying to, as they wont open in game and i know that IE8 should open .MHT files either from opening them from the file menu within IE or dropping them onto an already open IE. So its logical to assume if i can open them outside the game i can view them in the Galactopedia within the game.

Depends entirely on how the devs did it. Short of debugging, this has to be answered by the devs.

quote:

3. From file types in folder options IE is the associated program to open .MHT files. When i try to open them i get a 'Webpage Can Not Be Displayed' error. See below.

Sounds to me like an IE problem. Tried reinstalling/resetting/repairing IE?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

quote:

4. Fail means i have done something and it has not worked.

As accurate as that might be, it's not very helpful or descriptive.

Doctor: What seems to be the problem?
Patient: I'm sick.
Doctor: Can you be any more specific?
Patient: Sick means that I'm not well!

quote:

5. Im not sure how much you know know about Microsoft software and how it interacts with other Microsoft software but from past experience ive learnt that they tend to work together, by this i mean when you install a Microsoft program there are DLL files etc that are installed with it that enable the program you have installed to work properly with other Microsoft programs.

They load extra DLLs, but generally those files used by the individual programs are left unchanged - that is, installing MS Word won't make any changes to your Notepad files. There are exceptions, especially where closely related products are concerned - eg, Office products - but I haven't heard of Outlook (in any form) messing with IE files.

quote:

As for Textpad, I used that to open the .MHT file to see what was in it, Word was mentioned within the .MHT file and as i previously mentioned, Microsoft programs install quite a bit in the background, in Word's case convertors etc so i thought as Word 2010 can edit / open .MHT files if that was installed maybe that would install something to enable the use of .MHT files.

I'm still not understanding how Textpad - a product NOT MADE BY MICROSOFT - has anything to do with this? If you want to verify that they're valid MHT files, then opening them with Opera seems to have completed that test.

quote:

If you have IE7 or below installed AND Outlook express or Windows Mail installed and then upgrade IE to IE8 you can open .MHT files from within IE8. IF you have an install of XP that by default puts IE8 in you can NOT open .MHT files as you can not install Outlook Express or Windows Mail with IE8 installed. IE on its own does not have the required background files on its own, it needs Outlook Express or Windows Mail installed previously as well otherwise your in the boat im in.

I'll have to chase down an XP install that comes with IE8 - mine comes with IE7. What XP version are you working with? Pro? Home?

In the meantime, you might want to try a complete reset/reinstall of IE8 -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforxp

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 9/19/2011 5:48:41 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> The Galactopedia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI