Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Attention to orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Attention to orders Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Attention to orders - 5/22/2014 12:15:46 AM   
DOCUP

29th Mar 44

I am not happy with this turn.

Most of the action was in the Timor AO.

Timor AO
Japs sweep Damar.  Just happens my CVEs were 2 hex's away.  So a lot of my CAP got caught up in it.  Also a 2 ship CAP Trap showed up.  I lose 29 Hellcats, 30 Wildcats, 21 DBs, and 9 TBs. I also lose 34 pilots.  Japs lose 9 Franks, 10 Georgers, and 2 Nicks.  My DDs sink 2 Es, an AMc, and a several LBs.  No CAs or anything.  My DDs are still in Ambons hex.  I am going to have them bombard Ambon and get the hell out of dodge.  None of my LBA flew.  None of it.  Not a good day for me. 

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1741
RE: Attention to orders - 5/22/2014 1:11:49 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Ok.  Maybe I am reading to much into this.  If I send in my PT boats and DDs.  Then the Jap SAG I am after just might retreat out of my range.  Then my planes will attack the LBs and other crap that's patrolling Ambon's harbor.  Maybe I should just have my DDs go in during the day light hours.  Hope that my planes get there first and the DDs clean up what's left.

Or

I should stop thinking about it and go with my original plan.

It does look like you are worrying too much because you want more certainty than you can get. A good commander never
worries about the possibility that his plan might not be exactly right in hindsight. He just makes the best plan he can
from the info available at the time and lets the cards fall where they may. Hindsight is for learning things, not for
beating yourself up.

I forget which forum member has it, but his tag line is from Winston Churchill "Success is the ability to go from failure
to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
The important thing is that you try something.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1742
RE: Attention to orders - 5/23/2014 3:10:54 AM   
DOCUP

BB:  True

30th Mar 44

Action is in the Timor AO

Timor AO
I let the sweeps and bombers have another go at Ambon.  They went in today.  Allied loses are 17 Spits III's, 12 P 47s, 10 Corsairs, and 23 4 Es.  Jap loses are 85 Georges, 38 Franks and 15 Nicks are shot down or destroyed on the ground.  My DDs run into his CAs.  I lose 1 and leave 3 of his on fire. We do mod damage to the AF and little damage to the port.  We do put a single bomb into an AKE and AK.  I try to sneak in some troops at Kaimana.  Planes from Biak come in and sink 5 LSTs, 4 LCIs, and 1 APA.  Several other APAs and AKAs are damaged before they could unload there troops.  I am bringing in some CVEs into the hex to protect these ships.  I am also sweeping the base and bombing the AF tomorrow.  I did get a large US Navy Seabee unit unloaded.  Tomorrow a naval BF and an air BF should be unloaded.  Then I will have to get the damaged APAs and AKAs back to safety.

Koniu was not happy with this turn.   

"So, You want to play big boy style. I will bring big boy toys."

koniu

So I take it the KB is coming and he's going to start plastering my bases in the area with Naval bombardments.    Its not easy to type this with a baby screaming in my arms.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1743
RE: Attention to orders - 5/25/2014 12:58:19 AM   
DOCUP

31st Mar 44

Burma
Troops are resting.  I'm trying to get supply to a lot of them.  I am following Jap LCUs down the yellow road to Chang Mai.

Timor AO
A sub sinks an AK with some Georges on board.  We bomb Biak and catch some of his planes on the ground.  Koni lost 117 planes for the day.  We also sink an AMc at biak.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1744
RE: Attention to orders - 5/27/2014 1:09:12 AM   
DOCUP

2nd Apr 44

Burma
Rebuilding units and moving supply around.

Timor AO
I sweep Hollandia and find some Franks and Georges.  My bombers go in before my sweeps they get cut to pieces.  Loses for the last 2 days.  42 Georges, 15 Franks, 6 Nicks and some Helens destroyed on the ground.   I lose 20 4Es, 12 A20s, 10 Beauforts, 8 P 47s, 6 P 38s, and 5 P 40s.   We also sink 3 SSXs on the 31st.   Kaimana's AF has went to LV 1.  Koni tried to bomb the port with 2 damaged ships.  He missed this time.  Port is a 0 so the damage crews aren't working.  I m going to have to chance it.  The worst is an APA.  I don't think it will make it.

Rest of the map is quiet.  I am moving stuff around.  Getting stuff ready for when my CVs are ready to go back into combat.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1745
RE: Attention to orders - 5/27/2014 1:18:40 PM   
JocMeister

How are your bomber pools looking? There is a resize coming in late 44/early 45 where most squadrons resize from 16 to 24. Due to lack of planes I was never able to fill the squads out. You will probably need at least 2-300 4Es in the pool to fill every squadron out!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1746
RE: Attention to orders - 5/27/2014 8:47:43 PM   
DOCUP

Joc:  I have about 350 B 24 Js and Ds, another hundred plus of older models in the pools.

3rd Apr 44

Burma
Jap CL SAG runs into Ramree Island.  It finds my Fletchers sleeping.  I lose 2 DDs to TTs and leave one of his DDs with heavy fires.  Chittagong is swept by some Franks.  I lose 20 P40s, 7 Hurris, 4 Seafires, and 2 P 47s for 16 Franks

Timor AO
We put a TT into CA Tone.

Tarawa
We sink 2 AKLs

NorPac
I have sighted 4 subs.  I'm going after them.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1747
RE: Attention to orders - 5/31/2014 3:03:25 AM   
DOCUP

5th Apr 44

Burma
We both do some ground bombing.

Timor
TFs are in motion.  His Air ASW is starting to rack up some hits and one kill. I see a small CV TF up by Peleliu.

NorPac
Long Island has been on ASW patrol and doing a good job of it.  Jap CVE's sneak in and sink her. I think their are 2 CVEs in this Jap TFs, but 7 ships in total.  I have 5 DEs looking for this TF they have it surrounded.  I lost 6 navy Liberators attacking it.  Only got a DL on the Shinyo.  I hope the DEs can dish out some damage for the Long Island.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1748
RE: Attention to orders - 6/1/2014 2:11:16 AM   
DOCUP

7th Apr 44

I don't remember the 6th.

Burma
Bombings troop movements.  Moulmein has 11 units with 30k worth of men.  I don't like this.  The Burma, Thailand border crossing is guarded by 7 Jap units numbering around 28k worth of men. My troops are massing at the border.

Timor AO
I land a small inf unit on a Jap island.  I thought it was unoccupied but found out it has 2200 men on it.  I will have to get them off the island before he attacks. I lose 14 Hellcats over Kaimana for a couple  of Franks.

Tabiteuea
Invaded.  We sneak in and drop off an ID, Combat Eng, Tank unit, and a NBF.  We got a 1 to 2 attack roll on the attack today.  Japs lost almost 1k worth of men.  They have 4 naval guard units plus supporting units behind LV 6 forts.  I ordered another shock attack for tomorrow.  All ships will run away now. SAGs will bombard before they run. 

NorPac
Jap CVEs are still hanging around.  They are 11 hex away.  My DEs didn't run into them.  Koniu has spotted a large troop TF moving into the area.  I wonder if he will send his CVEs after this TF.  I also have another TF with troops inbound.  Navy Libs are making low nav attacks.  The can't seem to get past the CAP about 30 fighters.  There is a second TF with this Jap CVE TF.  might be a SAG, I don't know.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1749
RE: Attention to orders - 6/1/2014 4:58:37 PM   
DOCUP

8th Apr 44

China
I have 2 Chinese LCUs behind a stack of Jap LCUs.  My 2 LCUs are up against a inf rgt.  I shock attack tomorrow.

Burma
I bombed the Thailand border guards.  I have found C part of the 2nd ID and the 6th RTA Div.  I think the RTAs are weak units.  I will have to look.  My troops are moving to cross the border.

Timor
Japs attack my LBs and a small amphib TF dropping off some engs at Lautem.  I lose 3 xAPs 2 AKs and a bunch of barges.  Franks sweep Saumlaki.  As always they kill everything.  I lose 34 C 19s, 20 Hellcats, 12 corsairs, 11 Kittys, and 8 P 39s, the Japs lose 52 Franks.

Solomons
2DDs come by and attack my AMc's at Finschhafen.  They find my PT boats sinking 2 of them and sinking 1 AMc.  They also tangle with a sub and put a hurten on my sub.  My bombers attack during the night but score no hits.  They get out before the day phase.

Tabiteuea
We shock and get a 1:1 and reduce forts to 5.  We kill 1600 Japs for 200 of our own.  We also destroyed one of the Nav Guard units.  I am pretty sure that the rest are wrecked.  So I should have the island tomorrow.  We bombard and only take out 61 on Tabiteuea.  We also bombard Tarawa and burn around 20 bombers on the runway.  I have fighters and bombers ready to fly in.  I also have support units on the move.  I expect some bombers to fly tomorrow.

NorPac
CVEs are moving away.  Jap subs are still patrolling around Adak.  My TFs are moving closer to Adak. 

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1750
RE: Attention to orders - 6/1/2014 5:18:31 PM   
JocMeister

RTAs are very weak. They also withdraw sometime in 44 if I remember correctly!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1751
RE: Attention to orders - 6/1/2014 5:30:13 PM   
DOCUP

Joc: Thanks  I am hoping that the units guarding the border are scrubs.  So a BDE and a weak RTA, that leaves 6 units to be discovered.  He has a lot of IDs in Burma and China.  Dosen't look like he has any armor in this stack.  I am also trying to outflank him.  Koniu has great Nav Search in the area, all my ships have good DLs on them.  Ok going to eat be back later.  Trying to send the wife to my mother in laws and I will stay home.  I will have the baby but that's ok.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1752
RE: Attention to orders - 6/2/2014 12:15:34 AM   
DOCUP

9th Apr 44

NorPac
We find a Jap sub and give it a good working over.

China
My shock attack goes off badly.  As I expected Jap bombers pays a visit and hurts my 2 Corps. I lose 1800 men to his 80.

Burma
Quiet.  I have to find a way around his Nav Search.  I won't be able to do any type of amphib ops in the area with his nav search.  His AFs all have 170 fighters plus. I have TF getting spotted at Ceylon.  Air ASW in one turn damaged 3 subs and probably sank one.

Timor AO
CA SAG bombards Lautem for no gains.  We sink a TK off of North Celebes. Allied row boat core captures Babo.  It has 20k worth of oil.

Tabiteuea
We shock and get a 1:2.  Forts are not touched either.  We do kill 1350 Japs for only 30 of our own.

My thoughts

Burma
I am thinking that I might be able to break the backdoor down.  I will find out when my troops get into the hex with his.  I had pretty good ground bombing results last turn.  I might do it again this turn. Actually I am.  I am sweeping and sending in the 2Es.  I have 4 IDs moving down the road with several BDEs, 4 Tank units, art and a combat eng unit.  I don't see any tanks with him in this area and I don't know how long he has been sitting in this hex, so fort level is unknown. 

Timor
Will work on capturing more bases. Might try to ambush his SAG.  I just need to get a plan together for it.

Gilberts
Once Tabiteuea is mine I will start to silence Tarawa.  I might invade but not for sure I do know their is a tank unit there.

NorPac
Going after his subs.  Building up bases.

Right now I need to get my better bomber pilots into my new B29s

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1753
RE: Attention to orders - 6/2/2014 12:18:48 AM   
zuluhour

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the B29

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1754
RE: Attention to orders - 6/2/2014 12:20:31 AM   
DOCUP

I can't wait to see what she can do Kurt.

Burma

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1755
RE: Attention to orders - 6/3/2014 1:22:52 AM   
DOCUP

10th Apr 44

China
Did another attack, I caused a few more Jap casualties.

Burma
We attack several AFs.  Chang Mai which had a heavy CAP.  Most of the sweeps arrive before the bombers.  We also attack the border guard again.  Which had some LRCAP from Chang Mai.  We lose 42 4Es, 6 P 47s, 5 P 38s, 3 Corsairs and Spits.  Jap loses are 54 Franks, 38 Georges, and 15 Tojos.  We do little damage to the AF.  I wan't this AF closed because its close to the border stack.  I want to bomb this stack. I have found out that their is another RTA unit here also.  So that's 4 units I know of.  I see by recon that there is now 10 units with 47k worth of troops.  That's a lot of troops added in a day.  Maybe my recon is wrong.  Still not many tanks.  I will find out.  We hit Tavoy's AF also.  I wanted to get in a shot at his Air ASW.  They are killing me.  Koniu thinks that I am up to something in the area by the sea.  Hmm is this a guess is he fishing for info? I forgot to add that I lost 3 subs this turn. One was up at the HIs due to the Es.

Tabiteuea
We capture it.  There is still a few Jap units left on the island.  I will deal with them.  Jap bombers attack and sink an xAK.  I have flown in some fighters.  I have support units on the way to fix the island's bases.

Sig net is giving some good info now.

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 6/3/2014 2:48:42 AM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1756
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 3:54:52 AM   
DOCUP

12 Apr 44

China
Troops moving

Burma
Went after Chang Mai again.  We lose 18 Corsairs, 10 Spits, 8 P 47s for 38 Franks, and 21 Tojos.  Now the Thai border guard has 8 units with 44K worth of troops.  We will find out in a few more days what he has here.

Timor AO
Quiet for now

Terepo
Japs sweep and find nothing, then the bombers hit and take out a few 2Es on the ground.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1757
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 4:44:27 AM   
JocMeister

Why are you sweeping Chang Mai so relentlessly?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1758
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 5:07:07 PM   
DOCUP

Joc: I think this area is lightly guarded.  If I can break through in this area, he will have to pull units out of Burma to stop me from taking most of Indo China. Chang Mai is his major AF in the area.  If its closed I can bomb his troops relentlessly.   this area also opens up another front in the area.  How many units can he have in this AO? 

I know he has a bunch of IDs in China, 3 or 4 in DEI, a couple in the Solomons and in the HIs.   I have also trashed a few. 

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1759
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 5:16:35 PM   
JocMeister

Ah, missed that!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1760
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 5:55:06 PM   
DOCUP

Remember that I think that this is a weakly guarded area.  I might be wrong. 

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1761
RE: Attention to orders - 6/6/2014 6:55:21 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Remember that I think that this is a weakly guarded area.  I might be wrong. 

Fingers crossed you are right!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1762
RE: Attention to orders - 6/8/2014 3:52:43 PM   
DOCUP

13th Apr 44

Thai border
I got intel on 6 of the units.  6tn and 7th RTAs, 23rd Art, 1s INA Subhast Rgt (never heard of this unit), 143 IR and 2nd ID.  I think I have roughed up these two units.  I could be wrong.  I have 4 tank units in the hex now with an ID arriving tomorrow.  I also see a unit maybe an ID moving up from Chang Mai.  lots of Jap fighters at Chang Mai. 

We sink a TK and lose a barge to a mine else where.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1763
RE: Attention to orders - 6/8/2014 5:05:53 PM   
DOCUP

I looked back at my reports.  the 143rd IR was the one who evicted my commandos.  They took a little bit of a beating.  The 2nd ID took some loses while retreating from Taung Gyi.  So these are the 2 strongest units.  Until he can bring in fresh troops.  I have heard about this invincible allied armor.  I am thinking of doing an attack with just my tanks. The 1st INA is crap unit along with the RTAs.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1764
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 1:01:30 AM   
DOCUP

14th Apr 44

China
Bombed

Burma
Jap Es are looking for subs off of Port Blair.  I see 3 of them.  I am sending 4 Fletches down to meet them.  The Fletchers are leaving Akyab so its going to be a long trip.  I also see some ships at Tavoy around 8 ships in 2 different TFs.  I am sending a small CA SAG from Ramree Is to meet these guys.  I know that Koniu has a SAG at Rangoon, well pretty sure.

Madang
I sent some Barges up with some troops. One of the barges ran into a mine.  I figured Koniu would send some ships to sink them.  I got the troops unloaded before his DDs got them.  They didn't stay long enough for my planes to take a shot at them.

NorPad
Jap CVEs make another appearance.  This time my navy 4Es attack first.  They are all lost.  I have a bunch of ships up here.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1765
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 1:02:35 AM   
DOCUP

I am thinking of an armor only attack in a jungle hex.  How does armor only stand up this is the hex with the RTA units in Burma.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1766
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 4:52:42 AM   
BBfanboy

The RTA units do not have much anti-armour capacity, and I have seen armour be effective in jungle terrain. Not so
sure about Jungle/Rough though.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1767
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 3:45:37 PM   
JocMeister

You "should" wear down the RTA div pretty fast. Kind of like Japanese armor in China.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1768
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 7:55:23 PM   
DOCUP

15th Apr 44

Burma
Got some intel for you guys.  List of units guarding the Thai border will be posted below.  I have found out that the 38th ID is moving up to the border.  I bombed them today, causing light causalities today.

Assaulting units:
   16th Light Cavalry Regiment
   Guides Cavalry Regiment
   7th Indian Division
   150th RAC Regiment
   254th Armoured Brigade
   2nd British Division

Defending units:
   2nd INA Gandhi Regiment
   1st INA Subhas Regiment
   143rd Infantry Regiment
   2nd Division
   6th RTA Division
   7th RTA Division
   23rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
   35th Fld AA Gun Co

My ships find nothing, they are attacked from LBA.  I'm glad they all got away with no hits. Good intel here though.  I will use this info in the future.

NorPac
Koniu has atleast 3 CVEs operating up there.  Well he did have 3.  Shinyo took 4 500 pound bomb hits and was last seen as having heavy fires and heavy damage.  I hope she survives for a few day.  My 4Es break thru the CAP. I seen that the TF had 120 planes or so.  Shinyo has 27, Unyo 27, and hoshi 15, that's 69 total.  Could my intel be off (mouse over of the TF) or does he have other carriers in this group.  Koniu did sweep one of my bases with 12 Zeros twice so that's 24 fighters and 22 fighters showed up for CAP.  Intel had 30 or 40 fighters noted. So not to far off.

All this is from the CR not the turn.  I will get that tomorrow.  I think and attack on the Thai border might be in order what do you all think.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1769
RE: Attention to orders - 6/12/2014 10:57:53 PM   
BBfanboy

Guides Cavalry Regiment?? The British really are scraping the barrel for troops. I wonder how they got the Girl Guide leaders
to agree to such a primitive campout environment. Perhaps a contract to supply cookies to all of HM forces in the far east?

Re: the attack, the British 2nd Div. is a match for the Japanese 2nd Div. and the Indian units should be similar in morale and experience.
You have tanks but he has artillery and some anti-tank in the IJA units. I give your troops a marginal edge but the defender gets the
terrain advantage. Much will depend on dice rolls and the mode of the enemy units (move/defend/attack/reserve).

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Attention to orders Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI