Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Attention to orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Attention to orders Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Attention to orders - 1/1/2014 10:39:08 PM   
zuluhour

thoughts...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 1/1/2014 11:43:36 PM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1621
RE: Attention to orders - 1/2/2014 11:49:25 AM   
DOCUP

Nice pic Kurt.  Bassien has a small unit with around 1k worth of troops.  The hex you circles has the 21st ID and I'm not for sure what else.  I have thought about the consequences of attack across the river.  I need to get across it some how and at some point.  I am open to options.  Anybody have any suggestions let me know.  I am open.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1622
RE: Attention to orders - 1/3/2014 2:11:01 AM   
DOCUP

10th Dec 43

China
Bombed.

Burma
We do some recon by bombing.  We find out what I already knew.  I do spot a TF coming up towards Rangoon.  I will send out some LowN bombers to greet them tomorrow.

Oz
There is one more sub with a float plane patrolling between Cooktown and PM.  I will need to find it.  Sightings of my ships have dropped immensely in the past few days.

Johnston Island
We sight a sub one hex from my CVLs.  DDs will go after it.  I only have 2 Corsairs left at Wotje.  I am hoping of getting another day free from bombings but I doubt it.  Roi has almost 90 fighters and 90 bombers at the AF now.  He will start sweeping and bombing soon.

So any ideas on how to get across the river guys.  Any one can give there ideas.  I will try to do a sandbox tomorrow.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1623
RE: Attention to orders - 1/3/2014 5:26:19 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Also my vengeance DBs has stopped at 200 planes and its not growing.  Has anyone seen this.

Yes.

Applies to several Allied aircraft. Just some off the top of my head include Hurricane IIc, F6F-3, Vengeance I.

The issue is not consistent. Some aircraft cease production once the pools reach approximately 8 times the total monthly output of a particular airframe. Reduc the pool by sending some of the airframes out to units and output will resume again until the pool reaches the glass ceiling. But this is not consistent as other airframes can accumulate well past 8x in the pools.

Because it is not consistent it might be bug which the cowboys who play the Allies and never build up their airframe pools do not notice. It might be that there is some contamination with s.13.8 of the manual.

Me, I've never bothered to track down the exact conditions which place a glass ceiling on some Allied aircraft but not on others.

Alfred

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1624
RE: Attention to orders - 1/3/2014 5:33:02 PM   
Alfred

Why is there an imperative to cross the river at all.

Use sealift to bypass the river defences entirely and land at Moulmein.  Just because the enemy has stationed forces in every land hex is no reason why you have to have any LCUs opposite them.  Just place them all on transports and outflank the enemy with a sea landing.

It doesn't matter if you have to delay operations a bit until you redeploy the necessary naval assets to undertake the sea outflanking manoeuvre.

Alfred

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1625
RE: Attention to orders - 1/5/2014 10:31:57 PM   
DOCUP

Alfred, nice to see you posting again.  Thanks for your info on the aircraft limits.

I have not taken some of your advise in the past, due to not understanding or due to my own stupidity.  Probably me thinking I knew more than I actually did about the game.  So I am going to mention my thoughts about doing an amphib landing.  The reason why I am doing this is to make sure my knowledge is correct and I'm not missing anything.

I have thought about leapfrogging down Burma.  I would need CVs to help protect the TFs.  Also SAGs for the same reasons, not to mention the APAs and such.  I have the troops.  I wonder how I would keep them supplied without keeping my CVs and SAGs in the area to protect the resupply efforts?  Koniu has over 500 fighters and around 300 bombers at least in the area.  I'm pretty sure the KB is at Truk.

I know landing at Moulmein would pretty much cut off his supplies from Bangkok.  Probably force him to withdraw from his forward bases to deal with my troop that would land at Moulmein or any other base that I would choose.  I feel like I'm missing something here.  I just can't put my finger on it.  Maybe I'm thinking to hard about it and that's why I'm missing it.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1626
RE: Attention to orders - 1/5/2014 10:44:01 PM   
DOCUP

I think its the 13th Dec 43

China
Bombed

Burma
Troops moving around, recon by bombings.  The hex south of Prome has the 21st ID and an AF gun unit. 

Bangkok
We bomb the port sinking 4 PBs and an AMc.  We lose 14 B25D1s.

Oz
Troops are loading aboard transports.  As far as I can tell they haven't been spotted yet.  CVs are about 2 days south.  I will have 6 CVEs with the landing force in their own TF to provide air cover.

Marshall Islands
This is were all the excitement has been.  I'm rattling my sabers up here.   I have 2 CVLs and 5 CVEs about 16 hexs east of Wotje.  Transports scattered all around.  My leading 2 TFs made a dash towards Wotje and Maloelap yesterday.  They got chewed up by subs. At least 10 if not more.  5 xAKLs and 2 xAKs were sunk. 2 xAKs did get thru one will make Wotje during the night phase of the next turn.  I have more behind them.  Hopefully My 10 Fletcher TF and a Cruiser TF will be about 7 hexs east of Roi Namur tomorrow.  I plan on bombarding Roi.  I hope the Fletchers will go in first and deal with the subs and anything else that's in the Roi Namur hex.  The Cruiser TF will be the bombardment TF.  Recon spoted 6 ships in the harbor yesterday.  I ordered 2 Navy Liberator squadrons to attack the port at night along with some 2Es flown in just to do a low level port attack.  Moonlight is 96%.  I hope to do some damage to what ships are in port.  I am thinking its a small Cruiser TF.  I have Cats and the Liberator Ps flying NavS looking for the KB or anything else for that matter.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1627
RE: Attention to orders - 1/5/2014 11:03:37 PM   
DOCUP

Before I read Alfreds posts, I did some sandbox tests.  I did this several times. Found out some interesting things.  I put the 21st ID in the hex that it is currently at.  I put the same units I had across the river ready to attack.  I updated the Allied units to what they have in the game.  I don't know which squad type the 21st has.  I do know that they are close but one of them is stronger than the rest I believe it is device 109.

So the first few attacks saw my infantry attack across the river while my tanks went to Prome (which I had left in Allied hands).  The infantry defeated the 21st causing it to retreat.  Next I put Prome in the Jap hands.  Again my infantry attacked across the river while my tanks went to Bassien (which was still in allied hands).  Again the 21st retreats.   Next I put everything in Jap hands.  This time everything crosses the river and kicks the 21st ID to Prome.  Every battle I ran caused the 21st to retreat. 

I added a Jap tank BDE from 45 into the mix just for fun.  We will take the hex half the time the rest of the time we were able to kick them out the next day with a shock attack. 

In all attacks one unit will take a beating, but the rest of the units are in good shape.  I also raised the exp and morale of the Jap units 70 and 99 respectively.  Jap units also had plenty of supply.

In my opinion not bad results.  Maybe this is why I can't see what Alfred is trying to tell me.  My judgment is clouded by this.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1628
RE: Attention to orders - 1/5/2014 11:04:49 PM   
zuluhour

I feel you in regards to the assault from the sea. The Betty problem. Even Paul has had success using Zeros to attack my merchants and transports. Can you close the fields? Whats your B24/B17 strength in SE Asia?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1629
RE: Attention to orders - 1/5/2014 11:11:37 PM   
DOCUP

I don't have enough to close all the fields and keep them all closed.  I don't have the fighters either.  Koniu has at least 120 fighters at each AF (Prome, Tonguoo, Taung Gyi) and 200+ at Rangoon.  He also now has around 100 at Bangkok.  I feel like I am missing something in what Alfred said and I can't see it.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1630
RE: Attention to orders - 1/6/2014 12:31:32 AM   
Alfred

Firstly, what field fortification level did you give the enemy 21st ID?

Secondly, the enemy can reinforce the 21st more quickly than you can get across the river

Thirdly, did you get close to replicating the respective disruption and fatigue levels?

Fourthly, and so what if you kick the 21st out. It moves closer to its depots whilst you move further away from yours.

Fifthly, you are creating merely a bulge which doesn't threaten anything vital and then you have to worry about your shoulders.

I'm not saying you will not get across successfully but at what cost and how exactly do you exploit the crossing.

Now as to an amphibious operation.

(a)  It promises great rewards if successful

(b)  Carrier and SAG to cover the landing will be required but not necessarily for the resupply as they may not be that frequent.  By this time in the war you can bring in a mountain of supply in the initial wave and subsequently use barges etc (obviating the need for a carrier presence) to top up supply.

(c)  Barges make a great distraction for enemy aircraft.  Plus the presence of Fletchers will clear up enemy surface assets attempting to intercept the barges.  The Fletchers can survive alone without carrier air support or even Allied LBA

(d) If KB moved to interfere you have free hand to move in CenPac

Of course you may need to do some preliminary work first, such as capture of Port Blair and getting the assets in place.

Alfred

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1631
RE: Attention to orders - 1/6/2014 1:36:11 AM   
zuluhour

Hard to argue.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1632
RE: Attention to orders - 1/6/2014 7:50:01 PM   
DOCUP

Alfred

1 Fort level was 1

2 Disruption to allied troops were very close to what they are in the game.  the 21st had none.  Fatigue I didn't do that one.

Invasion
I do have an Am ID sitting on the WC right now and another coming in 20 or so days.  I could bring them over for the invasion plus some tanks and ships.  I have an Indian ID at Calcutta that could go to Port Blair.  So I can do it.   Might take awhile.  I can also keep what I have in place so Koniu won't get suspicious if a few IDs leave the area.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1633
RE: Attention to orders - 1/6/2014 7:59:54 PM   
DOCUP

15th Dec 43

All the action was in the Marshalls.

Marshalls

My 2 xAKs are sunk one by sub and another by a CL and DD SAG. Only 3 of my bombers fly againist the port. Not a big deal. My Fletchers sail bravely into Roi Namur harbor. They sink a mini sub and plasters Roi's AF. My Crusier Bombardment group didn't make the run tonite but they should tomorrow nite. I have 2 more TFs that I hope will make it to Maloelap and Wotje by the end of the day of the next turn. They are 7 hexs away on full speed with 3/3 movement. Hopefully they will move at least one hex more than whats stated. I have supply and an eng unit in both TFs.

Night Naval bombardment of Roi-Namur at 132,114

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 100 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 12 destroyed on ground
N1K1-J George: 48 damaged
N1K1-J George: 8 destroyed on ground
B5N1 Kate: 33 damaged
B5N1 Kate: 3 destroyed on ground
B5N2 Kate: 18 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed on ground
N1K2-J George: 84 damaged
N1K2-J George: 17 destroyed on ground
H6K4 Mavis: 8 damaged
H6K4 Mavis: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
DD Stembel
DD Sproston
DD Sigourney
DD Abner Read
DD Nicholas
DD Franks
DD Erben
DD Cowell
DD Black
DD Bell

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 32
Airbase supply hits 11
Runway hits 86

DD Stembel firing at Roi-Namur
DD Sproston firing at Roi-Namur
DD Sigourney firing at Roi-Namur
DD Abner Read firing at Roi-Namur
DD Nicholas firing at Roi-Namur
DD Franks firing at Roi-Namur
DD Erben firing at Roi-Namur
DD Cowell firing at Roi-Namur
DD Black firing at Roi-Namur
DD Bell firing at 6th Base Force

Best naval bombardment I have ever had.

My carriers were spotted off of Oz Coast. Oh Well time to set sail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1634
RE: Attention to orders - 1/7/2014 3:23:15 AM   
Alfred

Unless the 21st has been in position for only about 2 weeks or less, it should have a higher fortification level than 1.  If it has been there for a while, you should assume it has at least level 3 forts, perhaps level 4 if it has been there for some months.  If there long enough it can even reach level 6 but anything above level 4 is unusual as it requires remaining stationery for many months.

Remember that forts level 1 provide only a 1.1x modifier to unadjusted AV but a level 3 fortification provides a 1.5x modifier and level 4 provides a 1.75x modifier.

Then you have to factor in the 2x modifier for the jungle terrain.  So if you are facing a raw AV of approximately 500, the shock assault may be up against something like:

(500)(2)(1.5) = 1500 adjusted AV before the firephase.  Would you generate something like 5x the adjusted AV after the firefight to force the retreat?  I don't really see how, using only your infantry, you will force the enemy to retreat.

Of course if he lacks supplies or has many disabled devices his adjusted AV will be less.

Alfred

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1635
RE: Attention to orders - 1/7/2014 9:21:40 PM   
zuluhour

I face the same dilemma Joe. The jungles of Burma are nasty. By the time I reach the jap perimeter he has been stationary for over 6 months. Heavy air raids piss him off but do not bring AV down quickly enough for any sort of surprise. I like Alfreds initial comment on the situation.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 1/10/2014 11:18:09 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1636
RE: Attention to orders - 1/9/2014 3:55:41 PM   
JocMeister

Boom!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1637
RE: Attention to orders - 1/10/2014 1:08:29 AM   
DOCUP

Alfred: I was only able to do one sandbox run of the 21st at fort lv 4 but I left the tank BDE in the hex.  I decimated the tank BDE and barely touched the 21st.  I will remove the tank BDE on the next sandbox runs.  But that will be next week sometime.  Lv 4 forts does make a big difference.  Thanks for your input.  I am now thinking that I could build up Bassien as a base for LRCAP.

Kurt: My bombings aren't doing much but I am only hitting one day and moving on the next.  I might need to bomb for several days at a time.

Joc:  I think I know what Boom means.  But I'm not for sure.  Can you share some more information on that.

17th Dec 43

Burma
I bomb some Jap LCUs in jungle hexs and get nothing.  One of my IDs moves ahead of the rest of my stack and is in the open by itself.  I will have an AA unit in there the next turn but Koniu will have an easy target for now.

N. Oz
I think this is what Joc is talking about.  I am leaving no doubt where my ships are heading.  I hit Namlea, Ambon, Lautem, and Dili's AFs.  We do moderate damage on all of them.  My P38s run into fighters over Ambon.  They do ok.  We lose 21 P38s for almost 40 Jap fighters.  4Es do better than I expected.  We lose 6, not bad.  My TFs are near Horn Island. No sign of the KB.  I was hoping that my ships in the Marshalls would pull the KB that way.  I don't know if it worked though.  I am thinking of running a 2 CA bombardment TF into Ambon to help put some damage on the AF.

Marshalls
Eng units are off loaded and working to repair the damaged bases. Supplies are just below 20k on both islands. I have more on ships and more coming.  4Es from Wake hit Roi's AF today for little damage.  I am going to bring in some 2Es and hit Roi's AF from around 6k.  I am also flying in an Air HQ.

I have been looking around either Koniu has a bunch of eng units on the bases I am bombing or with the new update the damage is lower than it actually is.

Things are going to well.  Something is going to go wrong in a big way.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1638
RE: Attention to orders - 1/10/2014 5:38:41 AM   
JocMeister

I was actually referring to your bombardment of Roi. That was a mighty blow for such small guns! Very nicely done.

Did you managed to get any CATs up and flying from the dot bases in the DEI?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1639
RE: Attention to orders - 1/10/2014 10:19:16 PM   
zuluhour

I think in Burma that in order to achieve any decent level of disablements in the jungle, it will take an air campaign against a hex rather than several days of strikes.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1640
RE: Attention to orders - 1/11/2014 1:14:03 PM   
DOCUP

19th Dec 43

Down and dirty report here.

Burma
ID in the open gets hammered by Jap air.  Over 500 KIA from Jap bombing missions.

N. Oz
My CA bombardment group doesn't go as far as I'd like.  So I recall them.  Next turn a bunch of LB TFs with 1 to 9 ships pop up around Ambon.  The 9 ship TF I don't know the composition of.  My Amphib TF for some reason only travels a few hexs on the 18 so we aren't in a good postion.  We might have to take 3 more days to be able to land troops.  I feel the KB is close but out of range of my search planes.  I do have them at dot bases and such (3 different bases).  I'm hoping to make Koniu show his cards to soon.  I have put all CVE fighters on 0 hex CAP (50%) from 20k down to 5k.  CVs are on 50% CAP out to a range of 7 with one on 0 range.  20k down to 5k spaced out every 5K feet.  Bombers are at range of 7 all at 15k feet.   Subs are close to position or at patrol zones. 

Wotje
3BB Jap bombardment group moves into town.  They sink CL Detroit, 3 DEs and a bunch of xAKs and maybe a DD. We don't do much to the Jap TF. They plaster the AF closeing it down today.  It should be open by tomorrow day phase.  14 planes are lost in the bombardment. I did have a 1 PT TF get into the mess.  I tried to create a PT TF but only one ship was produced.  Don't know why but I have seen it before in an AI game.  Almost 40k worth of supply has been dropped off.  I brought in more Cats for NavS.  I didn't see this Jap TF coming.  They got out of range of my DBs.  1 more day and I will be able to have TBs in this area.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1641
RE: Attention to orders - 1/11/2014 1:18:58 PM   
JocMeister

You have a finite pool of PT boats that can run dry. Its hidden in "ship availability" tab.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1642
RE: Attention to orders - 1/11/2014 1:24:07 PM   
DOCUP

Joc: I have them in the pool.  I think it has something to do with supplies and fuel.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1643
RE: Attention to orders - 1/11/2014 1:49:43 PM   
JocMeister

Then I have no clue!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1644
RE: Attention to orders - 1/12/2014 12:27:25 PM   
DOCUP

21st Dec 43

Burma
Japs bomb my units in the open south of Prome and find one of the big AA units.  We damage a bunch of Helens.

N. Oz
My ships are ready to unload troops and supplies on the next turn.  No signs of the KB or anything else besides what's been around the area.

Marshalls
Wotje AF damage has only been repaired by 1 point each day.  Not for sure why. I have 10 eng vehicles and 35 engs with 40k supplies. No bombing missions of Roi Namur.

In other new we both sink xAKs and I also put a TT into a PB.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1645
RE: Attention to orders - 1/12/2014 12:39:39 PM   
JocMeister

Good luck!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1646
RE: Attention to orders - 1/12/2014 12:55:01 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks Joc.  This seems to easy.  I think I will regret saying that.  I'm looking over the turn and I can't find anything to do.  I have been so focused on my last 2 ops that I can't see anything else to do.

Also Saumlaki has an IR and a BF of some type.  So I hope my ID, 2 tank units and combat Engs can do the job.   I need to get the ball rolling and start fighting.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1647
RE: Attention to orders - 1/12/2014 1:44:49 PM   
JocMeister

Get in and get out fast and fingers crossed KB isn´t ready to strike at the landing.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1648
RE: Attention to orders - 1/12/2014 6:02:41 PM   
JocMeister

I read konius AAR, hang in there! In the big scheme of things its just a small setback. Keep fighting and you will get there!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1649
RE: Attention to orders - 1/14/2014 8:22:09 PM   
DOCUP

22nd Dec 43

I loose another CV battle.  I have yet to win one. 

N. Oz
Japs send all their CVs into battle.  They end up a few hexs north of Saumlaki.  Weather protects the invasion TFs but not my CVs.  I had 2 CV TFs.  They were suppose to have stayed together but they didn't.  One went to a new patrol zone another just stayed put even thought they were both suppose to follow a SAG.   It happens.  So I lose 4 CVs, 3 CVLs, and a few other ships.  I have 2 CVs and a CVL left.  One CV is on fire but can travel a few hexs.  The other CV is lightly damaged but can only go 1 hex due to op points. The CVL can make it also.  I landed just about all my troops on Saumlaki with 13k of supply.   I figure I'll lose the other 2 CVs.  I don't know how to protect the one that can't move without losing more ships.  I might send some DDs to try and cover it, but that won't do much.

I am leaving some of the supply ships at Saumlaki to drop off supply.  PT TF one will head north towards the Jap CVs, PT TF 2 will hang around Saumlaki.  I don't think I sank anything, I did damage a few ships.  I suck. Koniu said I shot down 450 planes.  Oh well. The anger is coming back as I type this. 

I will fight on but its going to be a boring game for awhile.  I will get like 16 CVs or so and some CVLs with a bunch of CVEs.  I am thinking What I can do later.  I have ideas now but have to focus on getting out of Saumlaki. 

I'm not quitting the game.  I just suck at it.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Attention to orders Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI