Matrix Games Forums

The fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bloody day over Prome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bloody day over Prome Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/20/2013 5:32:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Thanks for the maps Joe, I read quite a few AARs and have a hard time keeping track.

Ditto! We really appreciate the extra effort to help us understand what is going on!

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1381
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/20/2013 8:46:48 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Joc: I am getting ready to move on Woodlark in the Solomons. I am waiting for the moonlight to go down before I do the invasion. My resupply missions in the Marshalls is hopefully keeping a few ships around that area. I am letting my CVE's be spotted by Jap Nav search.

Woodlark has 2 units present. One is a BF the other is a Nav Guard unit. The problem is Koniu has been keeping around 500 fighters at Rabual. I also think the KB might be at Truk (are you happy Jeff)

Burma
I am moving units around and looking for a week spot. The yellow road from Taung Gyi has an ID in each hex with one other unit. I think most are Art units. Ramree Island has an ID present. I am going to attack from the land side.

I have a few others that I am moving assets to or thinking about. IE Koepang area. I just haven't thought it all the way thru yet.

I think Joc could be my neighbor with that redneck gold chain red hair and read goatee. I'll say he is a West Virginian.

Thanks for the maps! What further plans do you have for the New Britain area? Buna, Finschhafen, Umboi Island? Personally I would look to secure Buna. It can be built up to level 9 thus making PM unnecessary. Having a level 9 AF is really important so you can deploy the 4Es and pound the area and close Rabaul.

I think you are in a good spot to move forward. Prepping is key. Use the Command HQ + Corps HQ for the added bonus on key targets. It makes a huge difference.

Haha, West Virginian? No no! The red hair and beard comes from all the polarbear blood we drink...

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1382
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/20/2013 6:17:52 PM   
DOCUP

No problems on the maps and stuff. I understand about the multiple AARs.

Joc: Polarbears those are endangered animals. You monster.

So the real loses on the day are. 2Es 28 4Es 16, P38 21, P47 10, Corsair 4, and 28 other fighters. I show the Japs losses are Tojos 135 and 3 Georges.

I am prepping for parts of New Britian now. I am prepping HQs now I learned that from your AAR.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1383
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/22/2013 9:48:02 PM   
DOCUP

14-15th July 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed

Burma
Quiet. Replacing losses.

Solomons
Quiet.

Marshalls
Resupply ships reach Wotje. I send one to Maoloelap let 2 AKs (not the ones that upgrade to AKAs) unload. Judy's attack at night and do nothing. 2 DDs sink the 2 AKs unloading. The xAK was unharmed at Maoloelap. Wotje has about 4k worth of supply and 17 damage left on the AF, the base is 100% damaged. I have fighters in the air for protection. I have a Sea Bee unit inbound to help with Wotje. 3 DDs are also inbound to cover the unloading. Now that I got some fighters that can hang in there with the Jap fighters I will fight for it now. I'm going to move in an HQ unit and then bombers.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1384
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/22/2013 10:09:20 PM   
DOCUP

Next invasion will be Woodlark Island. I don't know if Koniu will contest this invasion, so I'm going to do it somewhat on the cheap. xAPs,xAKs and the like. I have an Aussie ID prepped for it, I think I will only use one of the BDEs with some tanks to attack the Island. I know it's light but there is only 2 units present. A Nav Guard unit and a BF. I don't think it will be that hard to take. If I'm worng let me know. I am basing the rest of the ID close by if needed. Support units will go in after
D day. I will have some fighters in the air with a small SAG present. What few CVs I have will be in the area but not shown.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1385
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/22/2013 10:19:12 PM   
DOCUP

16th July 43

Carriers unknown

Only got the CR back.

China
Japs destroy 2 more of my LCUs retreating in the north. They are almost to Hami.

Burma
Quiet

Solomons
Nothing

Marshalls
Those 2 Jap DDs sink the xAK at Maoloelap and run into the Eng TFs causing heavy damage to all the ships.. He attacked by air also. Georges sweep knocking down the CAP Judys come in with Zeros and sink 2 xAKs. I only hand FM1s, Cobras and Kitty I's. The big boys are close to moving in. I will have to set up some more Engs to go in. I might need to set up a nav bombardment group too.

Will update more when I get the turn.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1386
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/23/2013 1:56:26 AM   
DOCUP

Update

Marshalls
We go 1 to 1 in the air. I lose 8 Cobras, 5 FM1s, 3 Kittys to 8 Zeros, 5 Judy's, and 3 Georges. I have flown in some Hellcats and P40Ks and some SBDs to go after his DDs. I see a few more DDs coming in from the west. Lets see what the DBs can do. I doubt he's proving LRCAP over his DDs. 1 AK with a few engs is still heading to Wotje. It will take 2 days for it to get to port. I hope it can make it. I expect the AF to be completely finished tomorrow and the next day the air base will begin to repair. I am also flying in some HB to mine Roi Namurs port. He has a few subs or mini subs patrolling in the hex. Maybe I can sink one or three.. I will keep this ships in port for the day.

I expect his Zero pilots to have a lower morale after today maybe his Judy pilots too. Supply TF and a TF with Engs are being sent out now from PH.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1387
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/23/2013 4:29:17 PM   
DOCUP

18th July 43

Only combat is in the Marshalls

Georges sweep 74 of them. My little CAP can't handle them. 6 P40ks, 5 Hellcats, and 3 Cobras are lost for 2 Georges 2 Zeros and 14 Helens. Judys sink the lose AK with my engs this turn. Helens put 2 bombs on the AF which double the amount of runway damage that was there the day before. I have pulled everything out of Wotje. I will have to rethink this and come back.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1388
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/24/2013 10:05:42 PM   
DOCUP

19th July 43

Carriers unknown

110 Georges sweep the Marshalls. I had nothing in the air to oppose them. It looks like I will leave a bunch of damaged planes on the runway at Wotje. Nothing I can do about it right now. Maybe when I invade Woodlark, I can get in there and do something.

Other than that I am moving beans and bullets.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1389
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/25/2013 9:38:16 PM   
DOCUP

20th July 43

Carriers unknown

China
Nothing really

Burma
Quiet. Moving troops around and getting ready for Ramree island.

Solomons
Getting ready for Woodlark invasion.

Marshalls
The Japs didn't bomb Wotje. AF damage is down to 6, I think the engs I have on the island can repair that tonite. Should I send my plans back in and try to by time to fix the AF repair shops? What do you guys think. Maoloelap has 63 AF damage. Recon on Roi Naumur fighters are down and bombers are up. So he might be getting ready to bomb tomorrow. 2 Jap DDs do head out and sink my resupply TFs running away from Wotje.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1390
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/26/2013 12:18:08 AM   
BBfanboy

I wouldn't send the planes in there yet. A/C damage repair will be very slow without air base facilities. Your planes will be toast whether they are shot down or just damaged.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1391
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/26/2013 5:11:42 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I wouldn't send the planes in there yet. A/C damage repair will be very slow without air base facilities. Your planes will be toast whether they are shot down or just damaged.

+1

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1392
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/26/2013 11:22:47 PM   
zuluhour

+2 I just withdrew two squadrons I would have rather not have. Keep a level head.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1393
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/27/2013 1:22:26 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks guys I was leaning that way myself.

21st July 43

carriers unknown

Marshalls
Wotje
Swept and bombed AF almost closed. I have disbanded or withdrawn the sqds their.

Johnson
We hit I 21 with 6 DCs. I hope she has to head home.

The rest of the map is quiet.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1394
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/30/2013 1:53:36 PM   
DOCUP

24th July 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed. Jap tank rgt is at the base south of Hami.

Burma
Quiet

Solomons
Quiet

Not much has been going on. That's the reason for no updates.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1395
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/30/2013 11:15:21 PM   
DOCUP

25th July 43

Carriers unknown

Hami
Jap Tank rgt has assaulted twice and the Chinese troops have stood their ground. I doubt this will happen again.

Burma
US sub takes a shot at a Jap DD and misses, but so does the Jap DDs. We do find out that their is atleast 6 Jap CLs in this TFs. It is 4 hexs east of Port Blair. I wonder what this TF is up to. Is it a bombardment TF moving to Akyab or what?

Gastma
We sweep and find Jap fighters. This wasn't expected. Bombers follow the sweep and hit the AF but take loses. Intel reports that 33 Tojos were shot down with 3 Zeros. We lose 12 P 38s, 17 B 25Cs and a few 4 E's. My 2E pools are getting low. Most of the P38s were F model and I am out of them. Only 14 are left in the group. I want to close this AF so I am thinking of sending a Nav Bombardment of 3 CLs up to hit it during the night. But the invasion of Woodlark is close Moonlight is 42%. I think I'll do it should have enough time to reload the SAG.

Shortlands
Bombed also. Bombings will continue.

Munda
Bombed also.

The new CV Enterprise has arrived (Essex Short Hull)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1396
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/30/2013 11:36:22 PM   
DOCUP

Did some looking. All the CLs in the Jap TF off of Port Blair have a speed of 35 knots. Akyab is 12 hexs away from them. So that rules out Akyab. Ships can only travel 10 hexs in a phase. He could attack during the day but I doubt that. He could be doing a fast transport to Ramree Island which is only 9 hexs away. Should I send my 2 CA SAG to Ramree and leave Akyab protected by only PT boats? decisions decisions.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1397
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 3:12:34 PM   
Alfred

It is a max naval movement of 9 hexes per phase.

Alfred

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1398
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 3:26:12 PM   
zuluhour

Can one actually arrange for a day bombardment?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1399
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 3:39:17 PM   
Alfred

Not of an enemy base. See page 93 of the manual which lists Bombardment TF as one of those which stands off to move into action in the night phase.

Alfred

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1400
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 3:49:52 PM   
DOCUP

Alfred thanks for the correction. Good to see you still peaking in on me. How was your trip?

Well I decided to bring in another CA SAG to Akyab to help out. I did not send the 2 CA SAG after the Jap SAG. Figured 6 CLs will beat my 2 CAs.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1401
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 3:52:05 PM   
zuluhour

Familiar with it, but I thought I've seen folks making use of day light spotting and thought it was by design. Clears up some issues for me. Over and Out!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1402
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 4:03:31 PM   
Alfred

Players have got themselves into trouble assigning waypoints to bombardment TFs so the safest course of action is to not assign any waypoints. Given "retirement allowed" and "mission speed", this means the bombardment TF will standoff until nightfall.

Of course you could always try "remain in place" and set to "max speed" but this introduces additional risks for no real additional reward.

Alfred

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1403
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 4:16:37 PM   
DOCUP

I've screwed up Bombardments by setting waypoints. I have seen daylight bombardments, but I think they bombarded the day before and stayed in the hex. I'm getting old my memory may be off some. Well not old my wife is driving me crazy.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1404
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 4:36:54 PM   
DOCUP

26th July 43

Carriers unknown

Hami
Chinese BF hold for a 3 day againist a Jap tank rgt.

Burma
No bombardment of Akyab.

Gastma
We do minimal damage with the naval bombardment. 4Es come in and get around 60 hits and destroy atleast 12 Tojos on the ground. We do hit Shortlands but don't do much damage.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1405
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 4:52:08 PM   
DOCUP

My Naval bombardments are getting better.

Night Naval bombardment of Gasmata at 103,127

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Detroit
CL Richmond
CL Achilles

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 5
Port hits 8
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 2

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CL Detroit
CL Detroit firing at Gasmata
CL Richmond firing at Gasmata
CL Achilles firing at Gasmata

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1406
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 5:13:10 PM   
JocMeister

Its quite possible to move more than 9 hexes per phase. At least in the BETA. I do so regularly in my PBEM using Fletchers set at Max speed. Just try it yourself and you will see. Its very handy to be able to strike from 11 hexes out!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1407
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 5:19:44 PM   
JocMeister

Here is a quick setup I did in my Sandbox (Scen 1, BETA)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1408
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 5:23:26 PM   
DOCUP

That kinda scares me Joc

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1409
RE: Bloody day over Prome - 7/31/2013 5:49:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I've screwed up Bombardments by setting waypoints. I have seen daylight bombardments, but I think they bombarded the day before and stayed in the hex. I'm getting old my memory may be off some. Well not old my wife is driving me crazy.

I recently had a series of daytime bombardments which I did not plan. The enemy troops were NOT in a base, they were trapped in a clear hex against the coast. I sent my TFs in Surface Combat mode to a point about two or three hexes from the target, and set the float planes to night recon. Next turn I set the TF to Bombard and Retire. I left the speed at "Mission" because I understand the computer takes care of the high speed run in and out, and I wanted to minimize damage from high speed steaming.

The TF did NOT bombard at night. It did NOT bombard during the day naval movement phase either. Only after the two Air phases did it bombard. This happened several times - I have no idea why. The TF was fully fuelled and unless it takes time to switch ammo from SC to Bombardment, there should have been no delay. I have tried to set up daytime bombardments on other occasions and could not get it to happen - as Albert says, the AI waits for the night phase. Every once in a while, though, a random daytime bombardment occurs. Seems like there is a dice roll happening for the bombardment phase.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bloody day over Prome Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI