Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back in the saddle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back in the saddle Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 3:32:13 AM   
BBfanboy

I have had some daytime bombardments happen but I really don't know how to be sure it will happen. It seems haphazard. I have set up my start point as you said, so that the TF should arrive in daylight, and usually it just dawdles along so that it can run in next night.

I'm not sure if refuelling on the way in or encounters with the enemy push the bombardment into daytime. Maybe the aggressiveness of the TF commander or the lack of air threat is a factor in this. I even wonder if it is something as silly as having your TF float planes on daytime recon instead of night!

Make sure your routing is "Direct/Absolute". Be aware that a long run in at full speed will run up system and engine damage in a hurry and use LOTS of fuel.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1321
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 5:06:41 AM   
zuluhour

We must consult the Oracle.... ALFRED!!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1322
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 5:52:36 AM   
JocMeister

I don´t know for sure either. But they should bombard as usual. Otherwise it would be impossible to do daytime bombardments?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1323
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 7:56:54 PM   
BBfanboy

OK, I just happened to have an unexpected daylight bombardment by five Brit BBs. They have a normal mission speed range of four hexes per phase. At the beginning of the turn [0001 hrs] they were five hexes from the target. I always make the approach in Surface Combat mission and switch to Bombard for the run in. I did this, and checked that the float planes were set to night time recon of the target. The TF was set to retire afterward.

I expected the BBs to jump to full speed and go in at night, bombard and be on their return trip during the day phase. Instead, they did not bombard at night, they did not even bombard during the daytime naval move phase!
They did bombard after all the air combat was done, and there was none in their area.
Fuel was not an issue, they all had lots before and after the mission. The only enemy aircraft within range were three Alf float planes doing recon of a land hex next to the target.

I have no idea what to conclude from this, except the seeming randomness of daytime bombardments.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1324
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 8:05:30 PM   
zuluhour

I'm still not sure they will bombard a non-base hex either, many questions.... In my game, the RN battleships ran from 10 hex to 3 hex, stopped in daylight, and went into Moulmein after dark to do the deed. Interesting to as the Brits still controlled the base, I was'nt sure they would go at all.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 6/7/2013 8:24:24 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1325
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/7/2013 8:57:38 PM   
BBfanboy

The hex my bombardment force was attacking was a clear terrain hex with no base, dot or otherwise.
The late-in-the-turn bombardment meant the TF was still sitting in the hex at the beginning of the next turn, and the orders did read "retirement allowed".
Maybe the admiral took his pension and wanted to set up a beach cabana!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1326
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/9/2013 4:44:15 PM   
DOCUP

I haven't been able to bombard a non base hex. Hell all my bombardments have been duds. So I don't know.

20th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Koniu sweeps Chengtu and shoots down 10 old Chinese figthers for 2 Tojos. He also bombs.

Burma
Meiktila is bombed causing around 600 KIA in a Chinese Corp. We bomb Bhamo killing a few Jap troops.

Still moving around troops and supplies.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1327
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/9/2013 8:57:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I haven't been able to bombard a non base hex. Hell all my bombardments have been duds. So I don't know.

20th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Koniu sweeps Chengtu and shoots down 10 old Chinese figthers for 2 Tojos. He also bombs.

Burma
Meiktila is bombed causing around 600 KIA in a Chinese Corp. We bomb Bhamo killing a few Jap troops.

Still moving around troops and supplies.

About the non-base hex... I have had DD bombardments fail [blank combat report] which I assume is the AI deciding they did not have the gun range to reach where the enemy troops were in the 46 mile hex. No problem when using CAs and CLs.
There are also some coastal hexes along the Burma coast that Canoerebel and others have reported as un-bombardable, after multiple attempts with BBs. There must be something in the map code that says those hexes have an un-approachable coast, in the same way that amphibious landings are impossible at some coastal hexes.
As for the success of bombardments, you need high naval skills on every ship commander, clear terrain and a moving enemy unit, plus good luck on the die rolls!
If you aren't killing and disabling much by the combat reports, rest assured you are likely causing disruption which sets the unit up for downgraded AV/easier casualties later.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1328
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 3:55:46 PM   
DOCUP

BB: HMMM Maybe that's the reason I couldn't bombard his troops.

21st June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed

Burma
Magwee's refinery is bombed. 4 hits

Singers
just off singers a fleet boat launches a TT at a DD. It starts to get pummeled and surfaces and what does it find, the Yamato. Needless to say the sub is on the bottom of the ocean.

Solomons
I sent 2 Fletchers to clear out some LBs patrolling just off Rabual. They sunk 12 of them but came in contact with a 2 CL SAG.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Rabaul at 106,128, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Agano, Shell hits 1
CL Noshiro, Shell hits 3
DD Hatsushima
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Amagiri
DD Minazuki, Shell hits 1
DD Fumizuki, Shell hits 1
DD Mikazuki, Shell hits 3, heavy fires

Allied Ships
DD Cony, Shell hits 6, on fire
DD Jenkins, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

We run into several subs around Woodlark and only get 1 hit. We also bombard Woodlark nothing. We bomb it and kill a few.

Koniu lands at a few islands. I will have to tell you later when I get the turn. I only have the movie right now

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1329
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 5:16:17 PM   
zuluhour

What are the LBs? landing barges on patrol? Little B#stards? Please clarify for the peanut gallery.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1330
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 5:17:24 PM   
DOCUP

Landing Barges. Koniu has several TFs of them patrolling in the hexs around Rabual and sometimes Rangoon.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1331
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 5:39:38 PM   
zuluhour

What does a landing barge patrol for? Incoming anti ship air raids? mine detectors?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1332
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 5:48:15 PM   
DOCUP

Bullet sponges from bombardments and such. Also from air attacks.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1333
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/10/2013 10:41:43 PM   
zuluhour

The only thing that allows me to accept the tactic is the old movie about the PT109 when the Japanese are patroling in the barges. Must have been very scary to the small crew.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 6/10/2013 10:49:20 PM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1334
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/11/2013 2:45:05 AM   
DOCUP

We don't have an HR againist it. I can use the same tactic if I want to. I choose to use PT boats.

The Japs land on the unoccupied islands of the Anadman chain. He lost over 300 troops and several guns landing on 3 of the islands.

I am thinking of sending a CL SAG after his CL SAG.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1335
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/11/2013 11:24:48 PM   
DOCUP

22nd June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed. Tojos sweep Changsha 4 Tojos go down for 1 Chinese P40E.

Burma
Recon by bombing. One of the Jap blocking units is just a Nav Guard unit. The bombings today killed 200 of them. I am sending in several units to evict it from the jungles above Taung Gyi. Koniu is also moving a unit from Taung Gyi to this hex. Who will get their first with the mostest? Koniu is also withdrawing more of his forces from northern Burma. Bombings will be shifted here for tomorrow. We bombard Ramree island nothing. But the bombings from air do kill some. I moved some fighters into Magwee. It had over 5k worth of supply with more coming. I want to stop the bombing of the refinery. I also want to start repairing it. So I will try and get and keep 11k of supply here.

Night Naval bombardment of Ramree Island at 54,48

Allied Ships
CA New Orleans
CA Pensacola

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA New Orleans
CA New Orleans firing at 21st Division
CA Pensacola firing at 21st Division

Andaman Islands
Small LCUs take the islands. Trusty sinks a large xAP.

Solomons
Wasn't a good idea to send my CL SAG after his. My CL SAG ran into his big SAG. My CL SAG does sink one of the damaged DDs from yesterdays battle.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rabaul at 106,125, Range 5,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SOC-1 Seagull: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Nagato, Shell hits 5
BB Fuso, Shell hits 5
CA Mogami, Shell hits 2
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 1
CL Oyodo
DD Urakaze
DD Nowaki
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Ikazuchi
DD Susuki

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Shell hits 2
CL Cleveland, Shell hits 9, and is sunk
DD Bache, Shell hits 1
DD Eaton
DD Grayson
DD Monssen, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
DD Barton, Shell hits 3, on fire

Day Time Surface Combat, near Rabaul at 106,125, Range 15,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Nagato, Shell hits 4
BB Fuso, Shell hits 3
CA Mogami
CA Furutaka
CL Oyodo, Shell hits 4
DD Urakaze
DD Nowaki
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Ikazuchi
DD Susuki

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Shell hits 16, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Bache, Shell hits 2
DD Eaton, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Grayson, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Barton, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

So we lose 2 CLs and 2 DDs for 1 DD. Not good. I knew I should of stayed home but I have to come out and fight sometime.

Woodlark has a nav Guard unit on it also. Buna has a garrison unit with an AF BF. Georges sweep an empty island off of MB and catch some leaky CAP. 18 P40Es who were suppose to be on LRCAP are shot down for 2 Georges.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1336
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/12/2013 3:20:22 AM   
BBfanboy

Looks like the CL raid was bait to draw your SCTF to his big boys. Don't you love intel after the fact?
Fact is, I would have done the same thing as you.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1337
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/12/2013 9:46:20 PM   
DOCUP

23rd June 43

Carriers unknown

Burma
We bomb 2 LCUs for nothing. Magwee now has 80 fighters and almost 6k worth of supply.

Solomons
Koniu sinks a crippled DD from yesterdays battle. I had already counted that one as lost. He also got a peek at a group of APAs moving to Carins. I wonder if this will cause him to move his CVs closer to the Solomons?

Coastwatchers have been reporting ships in different harbors, not for sure if I should believe this. I have tried to recon these harbors and found nothing when I did. What do you guys think?

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 6/12/2013 9:49:50 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1338
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/12/2013 10:36:02 PM   
zuluhour

coast watchers are only in it for the pension.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1339
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/13/2013 1:16:53 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

coast watchers are only in it for the pension.

+1
I have found their reports to be completely unreliable unless:
- there is sigint from the same hex indicating the presence of ships - e.g. heavy radio traffic
- a specific ship is named in the report. They may get the ship ID wrong, but there will be a ship there.

I blame it on the coconut juice.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1340
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/13/2013 10:31:41 PM   
DOCUP

BB: I have ship names reported in certain harbors, But I haven't been able to confirm that the ship is there.

24th June 43

Carriers unknown

Quiet all over. Koniu only sent me the replay not the turn. He's working on his place so turns might be slow for a few days.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1341
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/13/2013 10:37:01 PM   
DOCUP

Well I guess its time to buy some fishing stuff.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1342
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/18/2013 10:42:52 PM   
DOCUP

25th June 43

Carriers unknown

China/Burma
Swept and bombed for nothing.

quiet turn.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1343
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/20/2013 10:37:49 PM   
DOCUP

26th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Jap troops continue to follow retreating Chinese troop in the north.

Burma
Prome gets hammered. Bombers from fly and hit the AFs. 167 bomb hits on the runways, 46 hits on the base and 31 supply hits with 41 troops killed. Not bad. I might go after the troops next turn. Meiktila is attacked by Helens and Kates. Kates take a beating. Koniu said that they weren't suppose to attack and he lost a lot of good pilots.

Truk
2 DDs out looking for my subs. Must be something important moving around their.

NG coast
Ventures put 4 bombs into an xAP.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1344
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/24/2013 2:23:09 AM   
DOCUP

27th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed

Burma
We bomb the Nav guard unit above Taung Gyi. We kill 170 troops. A ID, IR, tank unit, and arty unit are moving towards this hex. ID will get their first. Taung Gyi has no fighters this turn. Wonder where they went? Maybe Koniu doesn't have the suppy to keep them going. The stack next to Ramree Island is pulling back. This is good news. I will attack Ramree from the land side when all the troops are ready. Tomorrow we hit Prome AF and ground troops.

Turk
We sink a PB by a US sub.

Solomons
85 troops at Buna are killed by B25s. Getting troops and ships ready in this area.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1345
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/25/2013 2:45:00 AM   
DOCUP

28th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed

Burma
We hit Prome put a few holes in the AF and kill some troops. Tomorrow our Brit ID will enter the enemy hex. Taung Gyi has it's fighters back. We down some Helens next to Magwee. Koniu bombs some troops at Schwedo.

Solomons
We lose a DD to a sub and bang up 2 subs in return.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1346
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/25/2013 5:11:05 AM   
DOCUP

How much supply is required to have a fighter squadron fly CAP at 0 range?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1347
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/25/2013 6:51:57 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

How much supply is required to have a fighter squadron fly CAP at 0 range?

No idea. Sounds like it needs to be sandboxed to get a read on it. Not sure if you can separate out the aircraft maintenance draw from the actual operation draw. You would have to operate the base without fighters to get a baseline and then add the fighter CAP to see the additional draw.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1348
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/26/2013 9:36:04 PM   
DOCUP

29th June 43

Carriers unknown

Burma
We lose some Chinese bombers and a few Beaufighters. Our Brit ID is prepareing to attack tomorrow the nav guard unit above Taung Gyi.

Koniu spots our CVE's inbetween Marshall Islands and Midway. I was going to try for a resupply mission of the Marshalls. Now I don't know if I should go ahead with it. I bet he has the KB around or moving to this area.

I ask Koniu this question. Who do you think should play Wonder Woman? What do you guys think.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1349
RE: Back in the saddle - 6/27/2013 12:50:45 AM   
BBfanboy

Wonder Woman? I am not sure of the gist of your question.
Are you asking:
- whether you or Koniu should be Wonder Woman?
- which famous actor should get the role for a movie?
- whether you or Koniu should play WITP-AE against another player who uses the handle "Wonder Woman"?
- whether you or Koniu should get to "play with" Wonder Woman?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back in the saddle Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI